Who Will Skate at the Gala? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Will Skate at the Gala?

ademption

Rinkside
Is there a link where we can find out what music the skaters at the Gala are going to skate to before the event starts? I'm really interested in seeing Daisuke and Joannie R. I hope that NBC shows all the skaters participating in this event. I would hate to see them shave Daisuke and my other favs...

I also wonder whether Evan and other skaters will choose to perform different exhibitions than the ones that they have previously performed earlier in the year?

i love to skate

Medalist
Joannie has announced that she is bringing back her performance of "Vole" by Celine Dion to skate in tribute of her mother (the song is about someone passing). She performed this program back in 2007 and it was one of her mother's favourites. Joannie also said that her mother loved Celine Dion and Celine sent flowers to her today and she was also able to speak to Celine and her husband, Rene. I was so hoping she would bring this back and it is one of my favourite programs from her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigfyocJ7oY

ETA: The Gala is 2.5 hours long so I'm sure it will be the top 5 skaters and Canadian skaters as usual. Don't see the point in Johnny being added to the program - it would be unfair to the other 6th place skaters seeing as they only missed the cut off by one place as well.

Last edited:

ademption

Rinkside
Joannie has announced that she is bringing back her performance of "Vole" by Celine Dion to skate in tribute of her mother (the song is about someone passing). She performed this program back in 2007 and it was one of her mother's favourites. Joannie also said that her mother loved Celine Dion and Celine sent flowers to her today and she was also able to speak to Celine and her husband, Rene. I was so hoping she would bring this back and it is one of my favourite programs from her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigfyocJ7oY

ETA: The Gala is 2.5 hours long so I'm sure it will be the top 5 skaters and Canadian skaters as usual. Don't see the point in Johnny being added to the program - it would be unfair to the other 6th place skaters seeing as they only missed the cut off by one place as well.

Thanks for the info and the backgrounder on the selection of JR's music. Really looking forward to her skate. I'm sure that NBC will show her since they've given her a lot of coverage over the past few days or so...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
According to the Skate Canada website, "The top 3 skaters in each discipline will perform at the Exhibition Gala on Saturday. Olympic Champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir will skate along with Joannie Rochette." The latter sentence also suggests that the non-medallist Canadian skaters will not be a part of the gala, but that seems extreme. compared to Torino 2006, the gala would be greatly shortened if that were to be the case.

Usually at least the top 4 finishers attend. Why would it only be the top 3 this year?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Someone got the press release wrong, I'd imagine.

To make it fair for Canada to invite Johnny Weir to the gala, they could invite the 6th place finisher from other disciplines as well. That's not as tough as it appears. In pairs, Dubé/Davison are 6th, and are likely already invited as the host country normally invites its top athlete in a discipline to the gala if none of them are already among the top 5. In ladies, they'd have to invite Laura Lepisto. I'm not fond of her skating or her silly exhibition number, but it's only a few minutes and it'd make her fans and oglers happy. In ice dance, they'd invite Del/Schoes, and what ice dancing fan wouldn't welcome the legendary couple to the gala of their last competition? It's probably way too late for the organizers to pull this off, but if they do, I think it'd actually make for a more satisfying gala all around.

Last edited:

newvie

Rinkside
it would be unfair to the other 6th place skaters seeing as they only missed the cut off by one place as well.

Yeah... it might be considered unfair... (but his placement was not that fair, either.. imo)
Oh, well, I should be happy coz at least i can watch his pokerface in HD on my computer/TV again and again. haha.
vive la technologie!

Ren

On the Ice
Somewhat OT:

There's a picture of Mirai, Yu-Na and Daisuke from a Japanese article; apparently it's from exhibition practice. So unless Mirai was just there for a photo-op, I think 4th place finishers are included in the gala. The link is: http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/10olympic/archive/news/2010/02/20100227k0000e050027000c.html I stumbled across the picture on the thread Nice article and Picture (Mirai, Yu-Na, and Daisuke) "Relief at exhibition practices" began by bethissoawesome.

jennylovskt

Medalist
^^ I hope it's just a typo on SC website. Otherwise, it seems to go out of their way to say to Chan that you are not good enough.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Johnny in his twitter says he leaves Vancouver in some hours :(
I guess no bad romance in gala, I was dreaming of Johnny skating to it with the highlight of the song, I m a free beach baby, dedicate to judges who marked him down.

shine

Record Breaker
Thank god Lambiel is skating.
I hope he skates to La Traviata, and show us how that program can really shine.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Somewhat OT:

There's a picture of Mirai, Yu-Na and Daisuke from a Japanese article; apparently it's from exhibition practice. So unless Mirai was just there for a photo-op, I think 4th place finishers are included in the gala. The link is: http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/10olympic/archive/news/2010/02/20100227k0000e050027000c.html I stumbled across the picture on the thread Nice article and Picture (Mirai, Yu-Na, and Daisuke) "Relief at exhibition practices" began by bethissoawesome.

I think Mirai will be at the Gala. Wow though, I can't believe Dai is smaller than Yuna and Mirai!

Tigger

Final Flight

I was also wondering the same thing and happy to hear Joannie's decided to bring this one back. For those who would like the know the French translation...This song in English is Fly and can be found on Celine's Falling Into You album. It's dedicated to her niece who passed away from Cystic Fibroisis and Joannie chose it originally to dedicate to her friend who passed away in that car accident a few years ago...

Fly

Fly, fly little wing
Fly beyond imagining
The softest cloud, the whitest dove
Upon the wind of heaven's love
Past the planets and the stars
Leave this lonely world of ours
Escape the sorrow and the pain
And fly again

Fly, fly precious one
Your endless journey has begun
Take your gentle happiness
Far too beautiful for this
Cross over to the other shore
There is peace forevermore
But hold this mem'ry bittersweet
Until we meet

Fly, fly do not fear
Don't waste a breath, don't shed a tear
Your heart is pure, your soul is free
Be on your way, don't wait for me
Above the universe you'll climb
On beyond the hands of time
The moon will rise, the sun will set
But I won't forget

Fly, fly little wing
Fly where only angels sing
Fly away, the time is right
Go now, find the light

Ren

On the Ice
I think Mirai will be at the Gala. Wow though, I can't believe Dai is smaller than Yuna and Mirai!

Dai and Yu-Na are around the same height. The Vancouver 2010 website lists Daisuke as 165 cm., while Yu-Na is 164 cm. I think Dai looks shorter because of the angle at which the picture was taken. He is in the foreground.

I am looking forward to the exhibition! I am glad Stephane will skate (though I wish somehow Johnny was, too, because Pokerface is great). What is Mirai's exhibition piece?

Last edited: