Who Will Skate at the Gala? | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Who Will Skate at the Gala?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not an Evan fan, but I think his exhibition programme was a wise choice. You can't go wrong with Gershwin!

But I wish he could have come up with something new. He's the Olympic Gold Medalist! You would think we would have had something special, not a repeat for the umpteenth time of his World's LP.

aurora100

Final Flight
OMG. Watch it on NBCOlympics.com! They kissed at the end of it! I think it's the first time I've ever seen them kiss!

Yah I noticed that too. She kissed him first then he responded. My goodness communist China has come a long way for women especially. I wonder what Chinese audience think of that. Not only China, but this is something that Asian couples do not do in public for anything. Fun fun fun.

aurora100

Final Flight
I don't like any of her costumes, period.

I agree. If Miki spent more time on refining her lines and posture, instead of her costumes this year (there were at least four elaborate ones made for her LP this season alone!), she might be on the Olympic podium. What is she thinking?

darializa

Rinkside
Darn, I didn't notice! Now, I'm annoyed at myself... hope it's not too long before it's on Youtube.

In the NBC TV broadcast, they show the entire layout spin from one angle (so that you can see the whole spin), but I noticed that the online video at nbcolympics.com goes to an overhead shot right when she starts to turnout her leg!! :( That is a huge pet peeve of mine--when the camera zooms in or changes angle in the middle of any technical move. I never get why they feel the need to zoom in on someone's face when they are doing a spin. Makes no sense!

yunasashafan

On the Ice
In the NBC TV broadcast, they show the entire layout spin from one angle (so that you can see the whole spin), but I noticed that the online video at nbcolympics.com goes to an overhead shot right when she starts to turnout her leg!! :( That is a huge pet peeve of mine--when the camera zooms in or changes angle in the middle of any technical move. I never get why they feel the need to zoom in on someone's face when they are doing a spin. Makes no sense!

NBC making sense is an oxymoron :mad:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
i agree. If miki spent more time on refining her lines and posture, instead of her costumes this year (there were at least four elaborate ones made for her lp this season alone!), she might be on the olympic podium. What is she thinking?

Agreed. I think that's why I don't like her skating; she's so .. awkward.

aurora100

Final Flight
I was actually slightly disappointed by her gala performance ... It wasn't even the popping of one of the jumps. The program itself was .. meh. I was hoping for it to be on the level of, but not like Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold or Shizuka Arakawa's Ave Maria, but it is not to be ... for me at least.

Love her earrings though.

Well Yuna had no reason to cry to Fields of Gold, which is what made Kwan's skate so powerful and emotional. Yuna did look a little tired and almost girlish, not a lot of make up did it perhaps. It was beautiful still. Very understated and showed off her beautiful lines. It's amazing how she goes from powerful triple jumps to whispering willow in nano seconds.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Well Yuna had no reason to cry to Fields of Gold, which is what made Kwan's skate so powerful and emotional. Yuna did look a little tired and almost girlish, not a lot of make up did it perhaps. It was beautiful still. Very understated and showed off her beautiful lines. It's amazing how she goes from powerful triple jumps to whispering willow in nano seconds.

It was an elegant program, but to me, it was lacking something. She didn't make me want to watch her program.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Agreed. I think that's why I don't like her skating; she's so .. awkward.

To be fair, her posture and her lines have improved tremendously since I first started watching her four or five or six years ago. I do think she has been working on that. Miki has become a much more refined skater and I appreciate that much more than whether she can do a quad or not.

aurora100

Final Flight
To be fair, her posture and her lines have improved tremendously since I first started watching her four or five or six years ago. I do think she has been working on that. Miki has become a much more refined skater and I appreciate that much more than whether she can do a quad or not.

I agree she has improved, but it doesn't mean it's good. It's just better than what it was before, which was awful. I noticed that her posture was much better in her exhibition program tonight than in her SP or LP, which tells me that when she gets nervous, her posture goes out the window. So she needed to work on it more instead of distracting herself with all these hidious LP costumes with crosses, snakes and spiders each time out.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I agree she has improved, but it doesn't mean it's good. It's just better than what it was before, which was awful. I noticed that her posture was much better in her exhibition program tonight than in her SP or LP, which tells me that when she gets nervous, her posture goes out the window. So she needed to work on it more instead of distracting herself with all these hidious LP costumes with crosses, snakes and spiders each time out.

I know, but it's also a matter of body types ... there might only be so much she even can improve on posture and extension. In fact, I'm sure of it. Of course, I realize that still doesn't mean you have to enjoy her skating or that she should be considered "good" at those aspects of it...

And if her posture was better in the gala what that tells me is that it's simply harder to mask your flaws under CoP. You have to do 3 spiral positions, for example, a requirement I absolutely despise because hardly any of the ladies can do 3 positions well. And yet they get called "level 4" for reasons that people have explained to me and that make sense to me on paper but never do when I watch the programs...

I don't seriously think that Miki neglected aspects of her skating to design snakes on her costumes ... but I just had a vision of Mike pouring over costume designs while her coach nagged her to work on her skating ... :laugh:

newlife

Spectator
Yah I noticed that too. She kissed him first then he responded. My goodness communist China has come a long way for women especially. I wonder what Chinese audience think of that. Not only China, but this is something that Asian couples do not do in public for anything. Fun fun fun.

just checked some Chinese forums- They all love it. They'd been saying that Zhao has shown more feelings for Shen and finally he got something back - a truely happy ending

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yu-na touched me. She has to use that music next season for her freeskate. It is so perfect for her style...the first time I ever really got an emotional reaction from her skating.

kiwiberry

Spectator
This gala wasn't the best but I still always enjoy it! Best of the night for me were S/Z, P/T, V/M, Lambiel, K/S. (Kavaguti is crazy flexible and those lifts were insane! Wish they could showcase it in actual competition...) Personally I loved the performances by the novice dance pair, the little girls, and Nam. So cute! (I actually enjoyed them more than a few gala perfs that bored me to tears.) Also loved the ending bit where each group sort of "synchronize" the moves.

Now it's on to hockey!!! (But I have to admit, even though I'm Canadian, Crosby annoys me. Obviously I still want him on Team Canada, but it doesn't mean I'll be happy for him when he gets his medal. And I swear, I'm going to scream if I read another article about how all girls across the country swoon over the guy and his "pouty lips". (Yes, direct quote there that I've come across more than once.) Uh, what? Pretty sure people like him for his talent/hockey skills, as there are tons of WAY better-looking hockey players out there...)

Sigh...so many misconceptions about China. Chinese are very liberal-minded these days (well, not the elderly perhaps but that goes for any country). I'm sure everyone is loving the S/Z kiss. And why would Shen "making the move" be an issue at all? Out of the Asian countries, China has generally been one of the most forward-thinking in terms of attitudes towards women in the past few decades.

ks777

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed Takahashi's ex program. you can watch it on nbcolympics.com

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Yu-na touched me. She has to use that music next season for her freeskate. It is so perfect for her style...the first time I ever really got an emotional reaction from her skating.

Oh, please god no. That'd be a huge step back for Yu Na. She's already brought sexy back to the fluttery feminine program with her Gerswhin piece. Meditation would just be her skating to a similar theme but to less dynamic music and minus the fun.