The Critique of NBC | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Critique of NBC

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
The best skating ever (women's)!!! The worst coverage, ever!!! Why did we see Cheltzie Lee? Why did we see Tugba? And NOT SEE Lepisto, Korpi, Leonova, Kostner? (All except Korpi have been European Champion! And Lepisto beat Flatt!!!) We wuzrobbed!!! Big deal to see the last 6 without commericals. With DVR, one doesn't have to see commercials unless one chooses to.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I hated NBC's coverage. One skater then commerical, will be back later. Then another skater, commerical, back later. The final six with no interruption was fine, but the overall coverage of the skating was awful. At least let us see the top 10-15
skaters without so many breaks. Why did they have to show a segment on logging instead of skating?!!! NBC's overall grade for skating coverage a D+.

Two words: Epic Fail! That logging segment was ridiculous. They showed it while the next-to-last flight was skating. I am not sure who made this genius decision and in any case, wasn't this supposed to be a "green" olympics? Somehow cutting trees doesn't seem that "green" to me!

gourry

Final Flight
I hated it. I stayed tuned from 8 p.m. and they showed what? Only Tugba and Chelzie?? Not that I have anything aganist those ladies, but I mean it wasn't even live and when they showed some recorded performances, why these two of all ladies??? I was so pissed!!!
Thanks for the live stream I managed to watch all the ladies anyway even though it was low quality. But it's not like watching it on big screen TV.
Come on seriously!! You could've done better than that NBC!

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I hated too! I didn't get to watch ladies on tv because I live on the west coast and I already knew who won by 9pm.. but they didn't show it until like 11pm or so and I was too sleepy to stay awake. I have to get up 5am to go to work!

JuliusFelix

Rinkside
I had no problem with NBC's coverage. We may all be figure skating fans here, but does every American want to see OES rather than, say, Speedy Peterson land a clean hurricane for the silver in men's aerials? I don't think so. I'm a huge Olympics junkie. It's the only TV I watch (aside from other skating) and I only started watching/following skating at all because I watch all the Olympics. Every hour, every night, every Olympic year.

I wouldn't mind if NBC ran live coverage of all the competitors in MSNBC or CNBC or Universal Sports. But no way should they run it on the regular NBC channel. I tune in to watch the Olympics, and yeah, that means cheering on the US 2 man women's bobsled team go for a bronze or a historic gold/silver in nordic combined. I do love the skating. But it's not ALL that I love. I know by now if I want to see it, I'll have to find an online feed, or check it out afterward on nbc.com.

I think it would be grand if NBC ran it on another channel. But I do not think NBC should replace other olympic programming with more skating, at the expense of the other sports. And I think we should be reasonable before we start demanding that kind of thing.

For the record, I missed Alena, and think my parents would really have enjoyed her programs. It would have been great to see Joubert as well. But I keep my demands reasonable. I was really pleasantly surprised to see that NBC ran practically both the ultimate and penultimate men's groups, I was not expecting that much coverage of non-podium finishers.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I was happy with the coverage. Why Cheltzie Lee? I assume it was because her mother was born in the USA? Why Tugba? She & her family live in Canada. Why Cynthia Phaneuf? She is Canadian. Why Flatt over Lepisto? Rachael is the US champion. You needn't be a rocket scientist to figure it out. Did I want to see poor Carolina or Julia bomb on the Olympic ice? No. North American athletes were winning medals or in contention in other sports that same night. Their fans had a right to see them in action. Why as a figure skating fan do you think you are more entitled than any other sport fan?

gourry

Final Flight
I was happy with the coverage. Why Cheltzie Lee? I assume it was because her mother was born in the USA? Why Tugba? She & her family live in Canada. Why Cynthia Phaneuf? She is Canadian. Why Flatt over Lepisto? Rachael is the US champion. You needn't be a rocket scientist to figure it out. Did I want to see poor Carolina or Julia bomb on the Olympic ice? No. North American athletes were winning medals or in contention in other sports that same night. Their fans had a right to see them in action. Why as a figure skating fan do you think you are more entitled than any other sport fan?

You gotta be kidding me. So living in Canana is more important than having better performance to be on US TV?? They didn't show those skaters you mentioned live except the final flight. It was recorded and delayed. I know this because I was watching online streaming at the same time. They had all kind of ideas who did better performance and who did not. No I didn't want to watch Carolina bombing. I wanted to watch Laura and Akiko, even Min-Jung doing their wow performances.
By the way, if you try really hard, I think everybody has some sort of US/Canada connection-like so and so's music is of American composer or so and so's choreographer is Canadian or so and so used to train in the US etc etc etc

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
You gotta be kidding me. So living in Canana is more important than having better performance to be on US TV?? They didn't show those skaters you mentioned live except the final flight. It was recorded and delayed. I know this because I was watching online streaming at the same time. They had all kind of ideas who did better performance and who did not. No I didn't want to watch Carolina bombing. I wanted to watch Laura and Akiko, even Min-Jung doing their wow performances.
By the way, if you try really hard, I think everybody has some sort of US/Canada connection-like so and so's music is of American composer or so and so's choreographer is Canadian or so and so used to train in the US etc etc etc

So what makes you so special or entitled? I didn't care about those skaters. Figure skating is not the only sport contested. You can see their performances at Worlds when you buy your ticket & fly there. You could have seen all the skaters if you'd cared so much about Olympic performances by attending them live. I'm tired of all the belly aching about television coverage & how someone in particular has had their wishes ignored. How do you feel about putting it all on Pay-TV? $25.00 per event/discipline. Sounds good to me.

gourry

Final Flight
So what makes you so special or entitled? I didn't care about those skaters. Figure skating is not the only sport contested. You can see their performances at Worlds when you buy your ticket & fly there. You could have seen all the skaters if you'd cared so much about Olympic performances by attending them live. I'm tired of all the belly aching about television coverage & how someone in particular has had their wishes ignored. How do you feel about putting it all on Pay-TV? $25.00 per event/discipline. Sounds good to me.

Excuse me?? Did I say anything about me being special or not? It's not even about me.
Maybe I wasn't clear. Okay, let's put it this way. I 'expected' for them to air 'better' performances rather than just so-so performances knowing that it was recorded and delayed, and the skaters were rather equally 'unknown' ones. Isn't it logical? What part of this is so difficult for you to understand?? Isn't it natural for figure skating fans to wish they show better performances, in case they won't show everyone, so that hopefully more people will get more interested in the sport? Do you work for NBC??? Or are you Chelzie's mother or what????
By the way, yeah, when it is possible I buy tickets and go to the arena myself. That's how I recognized Tugba because I saw her live past two times. This was not one of those occasions unfortunately for me.

ETA: I really don't have anything against Tugba or Chelzie. I actually quite enjoyed Chelzie. The thing is that when NBC showed Chelzie, I was pleasantly surprised and expected they were gonna show more of those 2nd group or 3rd group skaters if they skated well, which they didn't. That's why I was so upset and pissed.

Last edited:

Moxie

On the Ice
Before this thread devolves any more...
Does anyone know if Universal Sports will be showing more than just the final flight + 3 random skaters.
I really wanted to see Akiko and Lepisto -- and not on my puny laptop.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
NBC was God awful. I think we can assume that fs fans on GS feel ripped off by the coverage. As the "marquee event" it was treated very badly. I emailed NBC early on. I think we all who cannot believe we were treated to Mary Carillo (ick btw) and logging should send a qwik email to the idiots.

R.D.

Record Breaker
in the heat of the moment I was admittedly frustrated with NBC's coverage. Not so much for showing only the final flight as it was switching back and forth between live skating and the taped events- which I normally don't mind, actually I like it- but they way they treated it was almost like, this is what you COULD be seeing- but no, you must wait. It felt almost like the fish that's dangled in front of you and when you reach for it, it's pulled further out of reach...you get to it and it's pulled again...you get my drift.

I like many of the other sports- in fact, I was watching them earlier and would change the channel every time skating (particularly ice dancing, meh) came on- they seemed like they showed so much skating earlier that I really was expecting more coverage of skating this time, especially considering its "marquee event" status. I think they showed considerably more of the other disciplines, especially pairs...

While I completely understand and appreciate what the Olympics are about, and usually generally enjoy their format of various sports in primetime (minus the pointless fluffs and interviews- come on guys) - can't help but feel a little let down by Thursday night's coverage. It was enough to send me searching for some crappy quality Russian(?) stream which was definitely better than nothing (Thanks to those who were kind enough to post the link for me)

Then they tried to make up for it by saying the final group would be commercial free. It was nice to have that continuous coverage but I feel that showing only the final skaters sucked out much of the anticipation (any that was LEFT after Yuna got that insanely stupid high score) that when it came I was like, yeah, whatever. I must say though that for the first time, I found myself a tad nervous for Rachel. (That NEVER happens to me!) Mirai as well.

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
I agree NBC did poor job showing the skating and, I also wanted to see more of the skating but I also like watching the other events that I normaly wouldn't ever watch. We do need to relsie that the Olympics is more than one sport and were not the only ones watching and fans of other sports want to see their sports as well.

Justafan

On the Ice
I would just rather watch the figure skating live and record the other events. I am still ticked that in order to watch most figure skating events now I have to go to Universal Sports during the regular season. I had to get a special antenna just to do that because its not on my Uverse plan. So to have to sit through curling or whatever just to get to figure skating irks me because of waiting 4 yrs then they make me wait 4 hrs! Then they chop out half the skaters.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
NBC Coverage

Being an avid figure skating fan, I was extremely disappointed in the coverage. Last night was the clincher, showing only six of the exhibition programs.

I don't know about anyone else but each time a Mary Carillo segment came on I just cringed. Why can't the networks put these mundane "human interest" stories on a special after or before the olympics. I'm not interested in sled dogs, logging or any other "side" stories during the Olympic Games.

The lack of coverage of figure skating was extremely annoying but considering the decline of interest in our sport, could be the key. It's very unfortunate that we were unable to see at least the last twelve skaters in the ladies' competition. Perhaps the fact that the US didn't have clear cut podium finishers was part of the decision on the coverage. Perhaps it was felt that because the US was unlikely to medal, interest in watching would be less.

However, in other areas it seemed business as usual. Once Plenshenko made his ignorant comments, the news media was "all over" every other event "loser" to catch someone saying something deemed as inappropriate. Anything for a story!!

Dizzy

miki88

Medalist
The coverage was so awful! There was more coverages of skiing, short track (because of Ohno) and lungeing than figure skating. :disapp:

Without a Leading Lady in figure skating to push their commercial supporters, they used the back-ups of Vonn and Ohno, both of whom's competitions were in the afternoon. They didn't show afternoon competitions, so the taped versions were interspersed with Figure Skating somewhat, but most of Figure Skating was dropped out of site. If fans were interested in Alpine and Short Track, as I am, I would switch very easily to Unisport, but Unisport was showing past competitions of anything but the Olympics.

They also fooled around in the Summer Olympics not to suit their fans but to show what they believed would be a good selling point on TV. There was no Decathalon!! which is always the top Oly event.

I shall refuse to purchase anything NBC was showing as commerials.

Jhar55

Medalist
I have comcast and because it's a small market area we don't get Universal Sports, so it wasn't a choice for me to watch other then the local NBC.