Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010? | Golden Skate

Favorite Moments of Vancouver 2010?

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I have so many for the ladies
1. The final flight all delivering when it mattered. No falls at all :eek: One of the best-skated Olympics for the ladies division.
2. A podium of worthy skaters
3. Rochette's truly Olympic moment, her strength, her elegance, everything
4. Yu-na crying after her breathtaking LP. It summed everything up. One of the best skates an Olympic champion has ever delivered.
5. Mao's historic three 3A's & her clean SP, her guts, her determination, her amazing comeback proving all her doubters wrong
6. Mirai's coming out party. Who ever ruled her out?
7. Laura actually delivering when it mattered
8. Akiko Suzuki and her love for skating that's so evident
9. Miki going for that 3-3
10. Makarova's skates

Men
1. Plushenko's third Olympic medal and his pledge to return for Sochi
2. Takahashi's two programs (if it weren't for that quad...)
3. KOZUKA!! Both his SP and his LP!
4. The new crop of skaters :) Chan, Brezina, Amodio, Ten, Borodulin, etc.
5. Jeremy's skates... His jumps were sub-par, but I loved everything else.
6. Lysacek bringing his A-game to win the USA's first gold medal in decades
7. Brian Orser finally getting his gold? ;)

Pairs
DEFINITELY
1. S/Z winning gold
2. P/T's LP
(only watched the top three)

My worst moments:
1. Mao's sad face and the interview in which she cried:cry:
2. Plushenko getting trashed by the American media. His words getting pulled out of context, overblown and misconstrued.
3. Mirai getting robbed in the SP.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Favorite moments:

1. S/Z's gold medal (not their performance)
2. V/M's all three skatings and the gold medal
3. Yu Na Kim's grace and beautiful skating and her gold medal (She could be next Michellle Kwan:))
4. D/W's free dance.
5. Rochett's performances in SP and LP

Last edited:

ae9177

On the Ice
1) Evan winning GOLD!!! And his classy act off ice!!! Hard work was paid off!!!
2) Frank finally got an OGM pupil!!! Miracle on Ice!!!
3) Yuna made history!!! Mao's 3X!!! And Joannie's inspirational performance!!!
4) SZ's perfect comeback!!!
5) VM winning the Gold!!! For Canada!!!

All of my favorite skaters WON!!! This is a perfect Olympics for me!!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
1. Evan's Reaction to winning to gold
2.Evan's freeskate
2.Virtue and Moir's Freeskate
3. Joannie's Short. It seems almost cruel to place it behind such joyous moments but she showed such beautiful skating and skated with such heart and courage.
4. Mao landing her triple axels, especially the SP
5. Yu-na's freeskate.
6. Mirai having the skate of her life as the final skater

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
1. Virtue & Moir's FD & subsequent Gold
2. Shen and Zhao finally strike gold
3. Joannie Rochette overcoming adversity
4. Yu-Na Kim's beautiful skate for gold. Loved it.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hands down the top 3 Men -- now that's what I call a COMPETITION -- this is the one time I will agree with Scotty when he said "game on" after both Daisuke & Evan rocked the house in the SP, and he did his usual girl-like squeal & said all excited like "oh hoh, Evgeni's got competition, game on!":rock:

The Top 3 Men were virtually tied after the SP, so you knew the FS was going to be an all out dog fight, and the ones that kept their cool would persevere, and they did, they did! Only 1.0+ point was the deciding factor between silver & gold, something that will be talked about & debated for at least as long as those whom were alive can remember. :)

The other disciplines don't even come close, you knew who the winner was before it was even over. That's a coronation, not a competition. And of course that's just my humble opinion, as always. *wink*

aurora100

Final Flight
1) Evan winning GOLD!!! And his classy act off ice!!! Hard work was paid off!!!
2) Frank finally got an OGM pupil!!! Miracle on Ice!!!
3) Yuna made history!!! Mao's 3X!!! And Joannie's inspirational performance!!!
4) SZ's perfect comeback!!!
5) VM winning the Gold!!! For Canada!!!

All of my favorite skaters WON!!! This is a perfect Olympics for me!!!

Hear Hear!!! ITA

Big Deal

Final Flight
1.Shen/ Zhao won the GOLD.
2.Virtue/Moir won with their FANTASTIC OD (!!!!) and breathtaking, smooth, meaningful, airy, easy-looking perfect technique.
3.Yu-Na Kim gave 4 minutes for the timeless perfection in her FS.
4.Mao Asada came back strong, beautiful. Only 1 lady ever born who can be better than her. Unfortunately she was here in Vancouver, deservedly winning.
5. Joannie Rochette skating, strength and all of her reaction. She was feminine and athletique at the same time. Gorgeous.
6.Fantastic new talents showed up. Mirai Nagasu, Michal Brezina, Ten, Borodulin, Makarova, Bates/Samuelson.

Wrlmy

Medalist
ITA with everything above. I'll add D/W's electrifying OD, D/S's fantastic, pure Tango Romantica and S/S's short program. Pure master skates.

BigJohn

On the Ice
Pairs, the 1-2 results and P&T free skate.

Men, Plushenko not winning.

Dance, the 1-2 finish. V&M gold, terrific OD, Mahler finally making sense as choice of music in the Olympics setting.

Ladies, Rochette's SP. Nothing was as moving and impressive in the ladies competition

As a Canadian, Bilodeau's gold and Rochette's SP are the most memorable moments of these games.

Layfan

Record Breaker
1. Evan's Gold:cool:
2. Joannie's SP:cry:
3. Mirai's gorgeous, amazing breakout LP.:love:
4. Kim Yuna's two superhuman skates - then her tears of utter relief at the end of the LP. Whew! Thank God. I could not have handled another gold medal favorite having a disappointment. Thank you Queen Yuna!! :bow:
5. S&S winning gold!!
6. Mao's "thought I couldn't do it, huh? So, there!" SP and her 2 3ax in the LP :agree:
7. No splats among last six ladies to skate!!!

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
Joannie - everything about her grace, strength and courage under pressure and grief. She is the epitome of a role model for how she handled herself and for not making anything about her and her grief - trying to leave her personal issues for her private time and the competitor on the ice. She truly was outstanding in all possible ways.

V/M - that FD will go down as one of the greats
Johnny Weir - he has been under fire for his flamboyance in Australia and Canada but has been eloquent, stating his opinion without trashing anyone else, and has even now become a kind of correspondent on Aussie TV for the games. True grace under such disgusting circumstances
Shen/Zhao - their reactions to winning their gold. They skated like such champions and to see them reach their ultimate goal, especially with their mature ages for the field, is outstanding
Evan - first of all, having 2 outstanding skates. And then for acting like a complete gentleman when dealing with bitterness. Well done Mr. Snakey Feathers
Kim Yu-Na - Outstanding skates under pressure - finally putting 2 clean programs back to back and earning her gold medal with class and almost perfection.

Lotta

On the Ice
V/M: I didn't want any other dance team to have that gold other than V/M. I didn't care about who won silver or bronze just as long V/M won gold!

S/Z: Like V/M I didn't want any other pair to have that gold!

Frank Carroll: He finally has his gold! I cheer for him more than I do for Evan!

Ando-san: Even though she was in 5th I am sure she's happy for that skate unlike what happened to her in Torino!

Asada-san: 3Ax2!!!!!!! :D

KYN: That's how you handle pressure. ;)

Canada finally winning gold on home soil!

Takahashi-san on that podium! Wish it was gold, though, but hey! He's there! I hope the media hasn't forgotten about him with all the Evan/Plushy drama.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Best Moments:
Evan's skates, seeing him on top of the podium, and his amazing sportsmanship when having to deal with so much crap. He did two amazing performances, won an Olympic Gold and was bullied by Plushenko and his allies. I would have been a lot more angry than he appeared to be.
The American women placing high (if this continues, 3 spots in 2014 :) )
Shen and Zhao finally getting gold
Virtue and Moir's FD
Rochette competing despite everything

Worst moments:
Kim being overscored
Plushenko's sportsmanship
Weir being underscored

enchantment19

Rinkside
1. Shen/Zhao winning their gold medal, their reaction when they found out they won, and the sweet kiss on the forehead that Hongbo gave Xue at the Medal Ceremony
2. Pang/Tong amazing free skate.
3. Takahashi's short and long programs
4. V/M OD was so beautiful.
5. Belbin and Agosto's OD
4. Yuna Kim's performances
5. Joannie made me cry
6. Mirai thanking P&G for her make up in the Kiss n Cry and making stoic Frank laugh

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Favorite Moments

The obvious stuff first, the winners and losers:
- My faves winning gold: Shen/Zhao, Virtue/Moir, Yu Na Kim
- Skaters I dislike finishing lower than expected: Plushenko, Domnina/Shabalin, Rachael Flatt

Moments I enjoyed outside the podium:
- Plushenko and his supporters being sore losers. The platinum medal cracks me up. That's a joke that will live on and on.
- Elvis Stojko making a fool of himself. It's high time more people realized what an idiot he is.
- Johnny Weir's many hilarious statements, fashion or otherwise. That semi-backless, strappy top he wore to a party was classic.
- Daisuke crying and letting loose before his program was even over. Always wanted to see a skater I liked cry tears of joy during a program. Couldn't have happened more wonderfully.
- Scott Moir roaring "YEEEEEAAAAAH!" and "Whoa, baby!" after the OD.
- Yu Na Kim pumping her arms in triumph in the Kiss & Cry.
- Finding out that Mao Asada's triple axels all got ratified.
- Laura Lepisto doing an imperious "cut it out" motion after her music got started at the wrong place. She looked like she was going to cut somebody, too. Love a strong woman.
- Hearing P.J. Kwong announce everybody's names with perfect diction. It's a small pleasure, but one nonetheless and repeated quite often.

Stuff unrelated to figure skating:
- VANOC screwing up the torch lighting. Seeing the Great One all agitated and helpless was perversely delightful.
- VANOC screwing up the speed skating ice.
- VANOC finally admitting the luge track was dangerous and fixing it.
- All the jokes about VANOC's ridiculous medal design.
- The world agreeing to never, ever let these people host another sporting event again.
- The Korean speedskater who took his teammate out and gave Ohno, whom their country hates, a silver. Ha-ha! /Nelson Muntz
- Canadian hockey team getting the beat down from the US, and Canadians despairing after that.
- The utter failure of Canada's ridiculous "Own the Podium" program.
- That Russian skier and the Russian media complaining that half an hour is not long enough for her to pee and take a drug test, and that it's an evil Canadian conspiracy against Russians.
- Lindsey Vonn only winning one gold medal. Where is your poster girl now, NBC?
- Shaun White ending his victory lap with a perfect Tomahawk.
- Canada getting beat by the US again in men's hockey final.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mao SP
Mirai LP
Akiko LP
Lepisto LP
Alena SP
Overall, great SP competition in ladies. Few bombing, unlike men's.