Wow, Mirai! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wow, Mirai!

Layfan

Record Breaker
I was just wondering - was Mirai's score total at Natls about the same as it was at the Olympics?
And was Rachael's score at Natls way higher than her score at the Olympics?

Seems one skater got the big "Natls" scoring inflation boost and the other did not.
I think Carroll was right and Mirai was judged very harshly at Natls. US skating did as much as they could to boost Sasha and Ashley as they did not want Mirai on the Olympic team.

I can imagine Carroll will be letting them know about that - especially members of the "distinguished" tech panel. :scowl:

They overlooked Sasha and Ashley for edge calls and other mistakes and were then forced to send Mirai to the Olympics with the tainted rep of the "ur skater."

Scott mentioned it and of course Carroll was aware of it too. Maybe in the long run it will be good for Mirai but in the meantime, thanks to the US tech panel Mirai will have that reputation for quite a while.

Way to go bozos!

Well.... I don't know if I agree 100 % but ... :laugh::rofl:

hey, where'd the vertical laughing man go?

christinaskater

Medalist
Mirai was absolutely amazing! She is truly an all around skater! I think she can be the next in the throne to Yu-Na!!! She has the total package! She needs to work on the triple triple to really have it!

She is a clutch skater, a charismatic performer, has some of the best elements!!!!!

Bijoux

Match Penalty
awesome mirai-you were the joyous performance of the night-i prefer her to yuna/mao any day though i realize mao did not have a great costume/awful music/costumes. mirai was gold for me!

christinaskater

Medalist
Congratulations Mirai! This is her 1st major international tournament and it's the biggest/grandest of all and you make your international debut earn 190 points, have a phenomenal skate (nearly flawless!)

What a way to have a welcome party in the big time!

christinaskater

Medalist
She just didn't have the credentials in the sport

Skating as we all know is a political sport, you have to make a name and eventually get the points you really deserve after you've made a name!

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Mirai really proved herself! This is exactly the confidence boost she needed after the rocky season with her growth spurt too. She's definitely one talented powerhouse is tiny packaging.

kyla2

Final Flight
Mirai was totally underscored at Nationals and her UR's were not UR's. They were right on the border and she should have been given the benefit PER THE RULES. The judging was not good at nationals. The Olympics had much better judging. They got it pretty much right. Yes, Mirai could have had the bronze but no one is happier than me that Joannie won it. Mirai has a ton of time and she will only get better, if that is possible. She is the most complete skater I have seen since Michelle. She is also precious and she has the greatest coach of all time in her corner. Her laybacks, spirals, spins are to die for. Yu Na can dream of having her ability in those areas. Not even close. Mirai's jumps are better than ever and solid. She needs to do a triple-triple. Great footwork and good speed. She is also a sweetheart. You have to love her. For the first time, in a long time, I have hope for US women's figure skating.

I didn't think I'd be this excited for our ladies' team at Worlds this year, but I'm beginning to see the light again. Mirai looked so steady and solid in the long program. Moreover, the announcers pointed out that in the short, her spins got the highest grades of all. Dare I hope that we will have our three spots back for 2011?

rtureck

Final Flight
If RAchel and Mirari skate their best, we will have 3 spots back. She made huge improvement b/w nats and olys

amateur

Final Flight
I have never ever seen any athlete so thrilled with a 4th place finish! She is just too adorable. And an awesome skater/performer/competitor.

Lulu1234

Spectator
Mirai is really cute, and is an interesting interviewee. I think that she would make a great addition to Stars On Ice. And Ryan Bradley, too.

Hi. Mirai becomes the SOI member according to SOI's web page.
The current skaters are Jeremy, Evan, Alissa, Mirai and one more secret skater to be annaoucned.

I do hope Mirai would develop her SP with adding 3Lz+3T at the next competition in the Torino World,
if her jumping condition is good on the very day.

SXTN

Final Flight
the british eurosport guys said that her skate was the second best of the night for their taste... i also loved how the one guy always repeated: " i hope they won't downgrade any jumps.. they all looked wonderful today"

under normal circumstances they would have put her in third position... but i think the judges were just kind to joannie since she won't make it to sochi 2014 and little mirai will for sure....

janetfan

Match Penalty
the british eurosport guys said that her skate was the second best of the night for their taste... i also loved how the one guy always repeated: " i hope they won't downgrade any jumps.. they all looked wonderful today"

under normal circumstances they would have put her in third position... but i think the judges were just kind to joannie since she won't make it to sochi 2014 and little mirai will for sure....

Actually "little Mirai" is bigger than Joannie and about the same size as Yuna.

Dick Button also said Mirai's skating deserved a medal - but I don't think there are problems with the podium.

I think most USA fans are happy and proud of Joannie. I noticed after it was over that Mirai was hugging Joannie and then they posed for a picture together. I guess they know each other from the two GP events they did together this year and Mirai must like and admire Joannie.

SXTN

Final Flight
Actually "little Mirai" is bigger than Joannie and about the same size as Yuna.

lol really??? thats kind of a shocker :laugh:

the placement was ok. during the kiss&cry i only hoped they place her above ando.. and they did! which was cool!

krln99

Rinkside
This is getting really nitpicky, but does anyone here feel she wears too much makeup? I know it's probably out of her control, but I think she should wear less. She's so pretty without it!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
lol really??? thats kind of a shocker :laugh:

the placement was ok. during the kiss&cry i only hoped they place her above ando.. and they did! which was cool!

Mirai is not that little anymore. 5'4" (or almost) and 110 according to Olympic bio, which is the same size as Mao and Miki. Yuna is a little taller (closer to 5'5") but weighs less (103). Joannie is only 5'2". I didn't notice she was that tiny until I saw her at the medal ceremony and she was a good 2-3 inches shorter than Yuna and Mao.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This is getting really nitpicky, but does anyone here feel she wears too much makeup? I know it's probably out of her control, but I think she should wear less. She's so pretty without it!

Her makeup at the Olympics I thought looked gorgeous! At nationals she had on too much (mostly lipstick!) but she said something in the Kiss N Cry after her FS that made me think she had gotten her makeup for the Olympics professionally done...I wouldn't be surprised either because it looked great!