How did your Olympic podium hopes pan out? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How did your Olympic podium hopes pan out?

ARipp42014

Medalist
You mean you did voodoo to Evgeni and you blame that my popcorn and mojitos helped to that?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

:laugh: Okay maybe not that but everything else came true!

At least the whole Plushy skating to that Dima Bilan song didn't came true so all is well! ;)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
MEN: I wanted Plushenko not to win, and Evan to win, which happened. :) I didn't care if Plushenko got a medal, just didn't want him to win. I wanted Chan to get a medal but he didn't. I'm fine with Daisuke getting the bronze though because he did deserve it.

LADIES: I knew Yu-Na was going to win, so there was no sense realistically hoping anything otherwise. My dream podium would have been Joannie, Mirai and Rachael but the skaters who did get on the podium deserved it.

PAIRS: I wanted Shen and Zhao to win, and they did. :) I was indifferent to where Pang and Tong ended up, but after their amazing LP I'm glad they got a medal. I'm disappointed no Canadians were on the podium, but their LPs weren't good and they didn't deserve medals. I'm disappointed that the bronze medal went to someone who fell, but I think all the teams except the first two fell so there really wasn't much choice there.

DANCE: I wanted Virtue and Moir to win, and they won, although my hope for a North American sweep didn't work out. I wanted either Davis and White and Belbin and Agosto in second and third, didn't really matter to me which order. Instead, the horrid Russians got third, which STINKS, but what can you do?

seniorita

Record Breaker
:laugh: Okay maybe not that but everything else came true!

Thats nice of you because there is a certain amount of frustration I can take in one week time:boohoo:

How do you know Plush wont skate to Bilan (blah..) in Gala??? (*still hopes for Lady Gaga*)

viv

On the Ice
I am completely confused by this Olympics because I never have seen so many great performances in one competition and never found all four podiums ok (which more or less happened for me here), but nevertheless am unsatisfied with the outcome.

Men: I am fine with all three medal winners but I wanted Stephane to skate better, and I wanted him on the podium and have to admit that the other three deserved it more. In an interview I read a few days ago he sounded utterly depressed about his performance, and that is such a sad end of his career. And I did not want Oda to make a stupid mistake again and he did. Sigh.

Pairs: Same. Fine with the medal winners but wanted S&S to skate better and wanted them to win. They didn't deserve it this time.

Dance: Same. D&W were great and V&M were absolutely amazing, but I have followed DomShabs career for so many years, and I at least wanted them to skate the hell out of their bodies.

Ladies: Again the same. YuNa and Mao skated in their own respective dimensions, and one could hardly wish Joannie not to have won that medal. But I deeply wanted Miki on the podium. And I am sad that Mao had this defeated look when she stepped on the podium. I still think she and Yuna should have been closer in regards of points. Yuna skated in another universe, but I wish she would have left a bit of space to breath to her rivals.

So none of my wishes came true. And outside figure skating the only event which I was completely satisfied with was the Ski Jumping team event which was not enough for two weeks of Olympics.
I feel exhausted. Maybe I should have a Mojito with Seniorita - this could comfort my hurt soul a bit.

:frown2:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Considering all four disciplines, my hopes turned out pretty good. Though I didn't predict any this time. The podiums in Pairs, Ice Dance, and Ladies are the best that I could ever asked for. But I wished that B/A could have gotten the bronze instead of D/S in dance. Forget about the men's! I don't even want to think about it at this moment.

Last time, it was Bourne/Kraatz who pulled me into the ice dance. After they retired, most of my interest in ice dance faded away. This time, Virtue/Moir (along with D/W) has brought my interest back. I'm starting to love ice dancing again.

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Thats nice of you because there is a certain amount of frustration I can take in one week time:boohoo:

How do you know Plush wont skate to Bilan (blah..) in Gala??? (*still hopes for Lady Gaga*)

Because if he does, it would be a nightmare. Remember Eurovision 08?:eek:

aurora100

Final Flight
This is the first Olympics where in every discipline those skater(s) got the gold medal that I hoped to win:

Shen/Zhao
Lysacek
Kim
Virtue/Moir

Me too but I just didn't say it out loud because there were so many odds against it:

Shen/Zhao - had to break the 40 year Russian/Soviet hold on Pairs
Lysacek - had to skate perfect in both without quad
Kim - no lady favourite or reigning world champ has won since Yamaguchi in 1992 Albertville
Virtue/Moir - no North American dance them has been on the podium before nevermind Gold

These four achieved almost impossible - due to one thing - they are the best and they skated their best when they had to

For that the fans were winners.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Me too but I just didn't say it out loud because there were so many odds against it:

Shen/Zhao - had to break the 40 year Russian/Soviet hold on Pairs
Lysacek - had to skate perfect in both without quad
Kim - no lady favourite or reigning world champ has won since Yamaguchi in 1992 Albertville
Virtue/Moir - no North American dance them has been on the podium before nevermind Gold

These four achieved almost impossible - due to one thing - they are the best and they skated their best when they had to

For that the fans were winners.

I agree about Yuna and Virtue/Moir. I was so concerned about Yuna after Skate America, but boy did she handle the pressure :bow::bow:

I don't think Evan was under the same amount of pressure as the others on this list. I was hoping Daisuke or Abbott would win the Men's. I was neutral about Pairs because it's a discipline I haven't followed much. Had Shen and Zhao been clean, their win would have been more convincing to me, but what do I know?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Here were my dream podiums before the event began :

Men:
Evan
Jeremy
Stephane

Ladies:
Mao
Joannie
Akkiko

Pairs:
Aliona and Robin
Shen and Zhao
Dube and Davidson

Dance:
Tanith and Ben
Meryl and Charlie
Virtue and Moir

I got the Evan Gold and the Meryl and Charlie Silver. Out of all I guess I was most disappointed with the pairs. My hope of yu-na entirely off the podium was very unrealistic, but I my pairs podium was a possibility. Poor Aliona and Robin :cry:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Pairs came out exactly as I had hoped: S/Z, P/T, S/S in that order. I wanted the Russians and the Zhangs off the podium at all costs.

Ladies came out exactly as I thought it would: Kim-Asada-Rochette. Tickled to death about Nagasu's 4th place--didn't see that coming. I didn't have strong feelings about anybody making or not making the podium, as long as the event was pretty fairly judged and the top 10 placements came out right--which I think they did.

Dance I was happy with V/M and D/W getting on the podium in any order. I hoped B/A would get up there too, but figured that they would be tossed on the street in favor of DomShab..who I think didn't even deserve top 6 regardless of how good their CD was. And indeed, B/A were sacrificed to the lesser team. Russians were gifted.

Mens I really wanted to see Abbott, Lambiel, Takahashi on the podium in any order, got one of them only. Was OK with Lysacek up there, given the way he skated. REALLY wanted Plushenko out of the medals no matter what. I hate him and his skating, and prayed he would splat multiple times but my prayers were not answered. He was gifted on PCS big time. At least he didn't win, and proceeding to make an @ss of himself with his sore loser commentary. Wanted Chan kept off the podium because he needs more seasoning--better skating to back up his mouth. In the end, disappointed with Abbott and Lambiel, and thought the latter definitely overscored. Was thrilled that Johnny Weir put it all together, he deserved better PCS and at least 4th.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Pairs: Shen and Zhao--so happy to see them win. They really are the most elegant of all the current pair skaters, in my opinion.

Dance: Virtue and Moir--happy to see this also because they are a lovely couple who skated the best programs at this competition. Would love to have seen Tanith and Ben make the podium but I really didn't care much for their OD this year.

Ladies: Yuna Kim deserved this win. I can't remember a ladies champion skating as beautifully at the Olympics. She didn't show nerves and really skated two outstanding programs. Mao Asada skated well and I do hope that her country treats her like a silver medal winner rather than a gold medal loser. I'm happy with the podium finishes. Didn't want to see either Miki Ando nor Carolina Kostner on the podium so that turned out great for me.

Men: I would have been happy to see anyone but Plushenko win. I've never liked his skating (jumping as it will). After the ugliness he showed after his defeat, I'm sorry that he even made the podium. He really doesn't deserve a medal. Evan skated beautifully and deserves the gold.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
The more I think about it, the more I realize Plushenko's skating is way less good than it was in the early 2000s. I had forgotten that he used to do quad triple doubles and such until I read about it in a book.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I'm generally satisfied with the podiums except in the men's compeition. I wanted Brian and Stéphane up there with Tomas, Dai, Nobunari as bakc-up. The person I least wanted to win gold (out of the favourites obviously) was Evan - needless to say how much fun I had during the men's competition!

In ice-dancing I'd have kicked Domnina/Shabalin of the podium, for Tanith and Ben or one of the French pairs, but at least they didn't win gold.

Pairs was great, although I'd have liked S/S and P/T to switch places.

For ladies I wanted Yu-Na to win gold and Mao to win silver and I wasn't too fussed about who won bronze, so I'm chuffed.

I'm pretty happy everywhere except in my favourite discipline!!!:laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
The more I think about it, the more I realize Plushenko's skating is way less good than it was in the early 2000s. I had forgotten that he used to do quad triple doubles and such until I read about it in a book.
He landed the 1st 4-3-2 in 2001 and 4-3-3 in 2003. Was landing 4-3-2 till torino. He was landing 4-3-2 in Vancouver practices but well..Of course he is not on the same shape, not even close to when he was younger, isnt it normal? he is grandpa now :)

needless to say how much fun I had during the men's competition!

:laugh::laugh:I always laugh with your sharp humor. You should have been here, vodka and popcorn helped a lot.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
aurora100 said:
Umm...excuse me but Belbin/Agosto won the silver medal at Torino in 2006. They are North American.

This was a terrific skating Olympics.
Men: Thrilled that Evan won. I knew he could beat Plushenko but I was worried that he wouldn't. What a performance Evan put out, both of them. Sad for Jeremy, though.
Ladies: I was sure Yuna was going to win. So happy Mirai skated so well! She's going to be a star.
Pairs: I was pulling for S/Z all the way, they are my faves! So happy for them. P/T was a very pleasant surprise and I'm glad the Germans got a medal, too.
Dance: This was my event. I am, of course, a D/W uber, and I was beyond thrilled with their silver. I think they could have won the gold had V/M had any kind of a slip up at all but they didn't. Which is fine with me, too, because V/M are awesome and they skated their programs with perfection. I'm still going to root full on for D/W for as long as they skate. They are fabulous to me in every way. So happy the judging was decent.

figuristka

Medalist
Men's was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. I had wanted either Lambiel, Chan, or Weir to make the poduim along with the expected medallist Plushenko.
Ice Dance iam quite pleased, i was actually doubtful alittle that my favourites virtue and moir would end up on top. D/W my second favs were just behind so it ended up well. D/S iam ok with for 3rd. The quality of their basic skating was always quite good.
Pairs, yes again my favorites won, and P/T though not usually a favourite i was happy to see them with silver as their Free was breathtaking.
Ladies iam very pleased with, the podium i expected and wanted. Oh i still after all this time, and with all my searches have not been able to locate a clip of Yu Na Kim, Mao, and Joannie on the podium getting their medals. :(((((((((((((((( I wish so much i could see it.

Last edited:

ryoko

Rinkside
Ladies: In the past, ladies has been the best part of a competition for me. In these Olympics, I didn't enjoy it at all. I thought Kim was extremely overscored and that Asada deserved the gold in the ladies event. I was hoping for Rochette, Kostner or an American, but between Asada and Kim, I thought it was Asada. My only consolation in Kim's gold is that most skaters end their careers with Olympic Gold (though I hate to see Evan go, this will probably be the case with him).

Woah. why so much hatred? Unfortunately, I don't think Yuna is retiring, as she said in the interview that she wants to do something new in the next season. Sucks for you. :p