Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

rtureck

Final Flight
I don't get your judgement about Yuna being overscored. Most of you say that her program was very good and some say that it was the best in the history, but at the same time almost everyone says that she was overscored. But if her program was really that good, it should have much more points than others, it's logical, I guess.

I think the only ppl who said YuNa's LP at Olys is the best in history are her uber/super fans. Most ppl say she skated the best and deserved to win, but that does not mean she is not overscored. More pts than others is just that she deserved to win, but doesn't mean she is not overscored.

prettykeys

Medalist
2 of the triples are in sequence, so both triples lost 20% of the base value.
Asada had 4, but 2 are triple axels, which are more than 4 triple toes.
If anything, Rochette is overscored for the SP.
Rochette may or may not have been overscored in the LP. I'm not sure, because I wasn't keeping score at that point. However, I absolutely do not believe Rochette's SP was overscored. Everytime I think about it, my eyes get teary. She was strength and beauty and heart.

Basics

On the Ice
overscored - Mao's LP. She completed only four triples, barely rotated the triple axels, but still manages to receive 67 in PCS? come on. I've seen others argue that those triple axels were actually under-rotated. well, you decide.

underscored - Rachael's LP. I still don't understand why she got the DG calls on both her flip jumps. wasn't the tech panel actually very lenient to other skaters all night long?

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
overscored - Mao's LP. She completed only four triples, barely rotated the triple axels, but still manages to receive 67 in PCS? come on. I've seen others argue that those triple axels were actually under-rotated. well, you decide.

underscored - Rachael's LP. I still don't understand why she got the DG calls on both her flip jumps. wasn't the tech panel actually very lenient to other skaters all night long?

Was Rachael better than Laura? Or Alena who also landed a bunch of triples? At this level the quality of the jumps count. Other aspects are important too. Laura commanded the ice and skated with flair and hit beautiful positions. So did Mirai.

Rachael lacked some of the polish we saw from other Ladies that evening. She completed her program but judges did not give her much bonus because nothing stood out the way it did for some of the other skaters. Slow skating, slow spins, mechanical spirals received a base value but PE counts too. GOE matters and Rachael was only adequate in certain areas.

Different judges might have scored her differently but cautious skating is not going to win at the Olympics. Miki lacked some flair and skated a little slow and just did not shine as she has in the past and was scored accordingly.

I still don't like Mao's program but she did show more than just the 3A's. Her steps were so good and she showed a degree of IN and flair superior to most of the other skaters.

I still get lost at times concentrating on points. I thought the placement was good and that Mao deserved Silver and Joannie Bronze.

Basics

On the Ice
Was Rachael better than Laura? Or Alena who also landed a bunch of triples? At this level the quality of the jumps count. Other aspects are important too. Laura commanded the ice and skated with flair and hit beautiful positions. So did Mirai.

Rachael lacked some of the polish we saw from other Ladies that evening. She completed her program but judges did not give her much bonus because nothing stood out the way it did for some of the other skaters. Slow skating, slow spins, mechanical spirals received a base value but PE counts too. GOE matters and Rachael was only adequate in certain areas.

Different judges might have scored her differently but cautious skating is not going to win at the Olympics. Miki lacked some flair and skated a little slow and just did not shine as she has in the past and was scored accordingly.

I still don't like Mao's program but she did show more than just the 3A's. Her steps were so good and she showed a degree of IN and flair superior to most of the other skaters.

I still get lost at times concentrating on points. I thought the placement was good and that Mao deserved Silver and Joannie Bronze.

I'm talking specifically about the DG calls on her flip. nothing more. If she had been given the full credit for her flip jumps, then, yes, she should've been on top of Laura. score wise at least.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist

:sheesh: Well first of all, downgrades are counted in the TES, not the PCS portion. Second, if you think Rachel's UR are unjustified, I dunno why you think Mao's axels should have been downgraded, because Rachel barely has any height into any of her jumps. At least Mao's height on her axels are better than hers.

Basics

On the Ice
:sheesh: Well first of all, downgrades are counted in the TES, not the PCS portion. Second, if you think Rachel's UR are unjustified, I dunno why you think Mao's axels should have been downgraded, because Rachel barely has any height into any of her jumps. At least Mao's height on her axels are better than hers.

But, the overall execution of jumps does count toward PCS.

Can't you see that I said "barely rotated"? That means, they are on the borderline. They could be ratified by some, but others may argure like I said. :eek:hwell:

Well, I don't see the difference in height between Mao's and Rachael's jumps.

Last edited:

pearlsister

Spectator
Rochette's program was better!

i think definitely Mao's sp & lp was overscored.
There was no transition at all and no choreography either.

IFS's recent blogging was about the buzzing from the reporters that Mao's 3A-2T was not downgraded.
i think Rochette ' s program was better choreographed and well presented than Mao's.
i could feel Rochette's energy from her program and it was really touching but Mao's program was really flatt and the music was just horrible..gosh.:scowl:

if Mao's jump were downgraded propperly, the medal color would have been changed and also, Nagasu could have been on the podium too.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
i think definitely Mao's sp & lp was overscored.
There was no transition at all and no choreography either.

IFS's recent blogging was about the buzzing from the reporters that Mao's 3A-2T was not downgraded.
i think Rochette ' s program was better choreographed and well presented than Mao's.
i could feel Rochette's energy from her program and it was really touching but Mao's program was really flatt and the music was just horrible..gosh.:scowl:

if Mao's jump were downgraded propperly, the medal color would have been changed and also, Nagasu could have been on the podium too.

When did reporters become judges? :think: If you watch the slo-motion, Mao's axels were clearly rotated, but whatever. Rochette's program is better choreographed but she did leave out some jumps though.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
rtureck
I think the only ppl who said YuNa's LP at Olys is the best in history are her uber/super fans. Most ppl say she skated the best and deserved to win, but that does not mean she is not overscored. More pts than others is just that she deserved to win, but doesn't mean she is not overscored.
Well, I am a fan of Yuna, I hope I'm not uber, but, of course, who knows... I think almost every competition where Yuna participates she gets "overscored" every time, I think, starting from Worlds 2009. I stated back then and state again, that what happens is that the level of her performance is much higher than the level of her competitors. Said that, her competitors are not bad at all and can perform better. But as they don't do so, scores of Yuna are much better and that's all. I think that, for example, potentially Mao can do much better program with jumps of better quality getting high GOEs. In that case she would score much better than she was scored now.
I say that just because seeing the protocol I don't see any element that was scored too much... In terms of GOEs - her highest GOE was +2.0. Just a question, if jumps like these don't deserve +2.0, what jumps deserve them? I just can't imagine them. For sure better jumps can be done, that's why there is +3 GOE. But her jumps certainly deserve the GOEs she got.
Base value - that's just looking at the table. Maybe you think that some elements are rewarded too much and others are not, like 3A, but that's other question.
PCS - again, nothing really overscored there. Deductions - no comments.

I think it's just hard to believe that Yuna performs so good, but really watching the performances you can see a huge gap between her and everybody else and that gap is just being reflected in the scores.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
When did reporters become judges? :think: If you watch the slo-motion, Mao's axels were clearly rotated, but whatever. Rochette's program is better choreographed but she did leave out some jumps though.

lol did you look at NBC slow mo? It is clear that her second 3A was NOT clearly rotated and

it was more than 1/4 UR. You can hear the commentators questioning it as well.

Tech was just generous to her because she 's the only one to land it. If it was a

men's comp where everybody does 3A it was definitely a downgrade. Also, her 2T is UR as well

(more than 3A actually) but she gets a free pass on that one. It's a joke that people are

complaining about low GOE on her 3A combo. No speed, no distance, no creative

entry/exit, no flow, no impact, not synced with music, no ease...

it just doesn't meet any criteria for GOE. In fact, she's lucky she didn't get negative GOE.

Johnnnn

On the Ice

Everyone was overscored that night. If Mao can get away with 130 with that performance I don't think Yuna deserve any less than 150. Also, according to you, almost every single commentators around the world are uber/super Yuna fans then.

miki88

Medalist
lol did you look at NBC slow mo? It is clear that her second 3A was NOT clearly rotated and

it was more than 1/4 UR. You can hear the commentators questioning it as well.

Tech was just generous to her because she 's the only one to land it. If it was a

men's comp where everybody does 3A it was definitely a downgrade. Also, her 2T is UR as well

(more than 3A actually) but she gets a free pass on that one. It's a joke that people are

complaining about low GOE on her 3A combo. No speed, no distance, no creative

entry/exit, no flow, no impact, not synced with music, no ease...

it just doesn't meet any criteria for GOE. In fact, she's lucky she didn't get negative GOE.

Um I did watch the NBC broadcast, but I do not remember the commentators saying it was UR though. The commentators all said that she made history with the 3 3As. GOE is another story altogether but she did rotate her axels. Anyways, according to you who are basing your assumptions on commentators, yet I don't remember hearing any commentator say that Mao did not deserve her score though.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
On the whole pretty much everyone was overscored, but some more overscored than others.

Underscored
Pang/Tong - SP
Mukhortova/Trankov - SP
Amodio - SP
Borodulin - SP
Ten - SP
Weir - LP
Kozuka - LP
Kholkova/Novitski - OD & FD (really disappointed at the way they are being dumped, there FD was superb)
Makarova - SP

Overscored
Lepisto - LP
Shen/Zhao - LP (I really feel P/T were robbed)
Dube/Davidson - SP & LP
Chan - LP

Callystarr

Rinkside
Overscored:
- Plushenko's short, Lysacek and Takahashi's elements were all superb compared to Plushenko outside of the quad. Spins/Footwork/PCS...
- Lambiel's short
- Ando's short, god her pcs marks were inflated, her programs need some serious tweeking.
- Lepisto's EVERYTHING, I mean seriously how in the world did she get, what a 61??

Underscored:
Nagasu's - SP, IMO she has the 2nd strongest SP with her elements and very respectable PCS. Good speed, the best spins in the competition. 3rd would have been very acceptable to me. IMO

The rest of the results I could live with.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Overscored:
- Plushenko's short, Lysacek and Takahashi's elements were all superb compared to Plushenko outside of the quad. Spins/Footwork/PCS...
- Lambiel's short
- Ando's short, god her pcs marks were inflated, her programs need some serious tweeking.
- Lepisto's EVERYTHING, I mean seriously how in the world did she get, what a 61??

She has good basic skating and gets level 4 for her spins and spirals with good GOE. Her edging and speed are among the best in the competition. I actually thought her scores were pretty fair here, given that Miki and Rachael got 64 for what they did. Mirai and Gedevanishvilli should have been a little higher in the SP.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In men I only watched the final group live. In my opinion Plushenko´s freeskate was heavily over-scored in PCS and his technical elements a bit. He had scary airpositions and scratchy landings, from which he mostly did not suffer. Takahashi should have won the silver, not Plushenko with that performance and choreography.

I don´t think that Weir´s freeskate was at all underscored in PCS. If a skater does not bend to the current rules, he suffers the consequences. It is not sensible to bring a 6.0 programme to a CoP-competition.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She has good basic skating and gets level 4 for her spins and spirals with good GOE. Her edging and speed are among the best in the competition. I actually thought her scores were pretty fair here, given that Miki and Rachael got 64 for what they did. Mirai and Gedevanishvilli should have been a little higher in the SP.

I rewatched Lepisto SP, 3T-2T, 3R, 2A. That's not a 60+ program. Her spins are quite off-centered, especially the camel spin. A lot of cross over, and she appeared to be fast, but because she skated on a straight line without a lot of footwork in between.
Her spirals were wobbly at best, especially when she changed edge. Did you watch the same program everyone watched?
Her combo is 5.3 points, Rachael's combo is 9.5 points, Miki's combo is 11 points. The difficulty is 10 fold even though the points don't reflect that.
Level 4 = pretty euro girl bonus.

szidon

On the Ice
lol did you look at NBC slow mo? It is clear that her second 3A was NOT clearly rotated and it was more than 1/4 UR. You can hear the commentators questioning it as well. Tech was just generous to her because she 's the only one to land it. If it was a men's comp where everybody does 3A it was definitely a downgrade. Also, her 2T is UR as well (more than 3A actually) but she gets a free pass on that one. It's a joke that people are complaining about low GOE on her 3A combo. No speed, no distance, no creative entry/exit, no flow, no impact, not synced with music, no ease... it just doesn't meet any criteria for GOE. In fact, she's lucky she didn't get negative GOE.

Here is Mao's 3A+2T at the Olympics. http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/bachadmirer/3A2T_FS.gif

It seems she prerotated almost 1/2 turn and underrotated 1/8 turn. Maybe it could be ratified but its quality was not great enough to receive positive GoEs.
(I think a guideline on prerotation should be made in the future).

Her 2T seems to be underrotated to me.

miki88

Medalist
Here is Mao's 3A+2T at the Olympics. http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/bachadmirer/3A2T_FS.gif

It seems she prerotated almost 1/2 turn and underrotated 1/8 turn. Maybe it could be ratified but its quality was not great enough to receive positive GoEs.
(I think a guideline on prerotation should be made in the future).

Her 2T seems to be underrotated to me.

But prerotation seems common among many skaters who attempt 3A. If Lysacek can get positive GOE for his much prerotated 3A, then Mao should also get it.