Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
The competition was great, most skaters performed better than expected, but there can no be figure skating without some moments where the judging and/or scores makes us go "uhmmm"" :think::unsure:

So what where the top 5 performances in which the judges were too generous or too strict.

TOP 5 UNDERSCORED:

01. Johnny Weir's LP :
For just a few seconds after hi finished skating, I thought he might medal by a few points
if the judges go for it, sadly I was soo wrong.
02. Pang & Tong's SP:
While I was ok with the placement , they were too far from the top 3 and undservedly so.
This probably cost them the gold medal.
03. Belbin & Agosto's OD:
Skating after VM was unfortunate for them, but still way better than the aboriginal show.
04. Khokhlova & Novitski's FD:
Ahh the tragic faith of being the second dropped team. Their FD was the voidiest of the
evening. A shame.
05. Mukhortova & Trankov's SP:
They were beautiful despite the mistake but the judges didnt hesitate in burying them down
to 8th below the local kids.

TOP 5 OVERSCORED:

01. Domnina & Shabalin's FD
Nuff said.
02. Chan's LP
There was no need to held him up, he already had a default place in the gala.
03. Lambiel's SP
Such an amazinq skater, but always underperforming, yet the judges didnt mind at all.
04. Zaretski's FD
SamuelsonBates, CappelliniLanotte, CronPoirier, BobrovaSoloviev, all teams much deserving
of a top 10 finish.
05. Kim's FD.
The best ladies winning performance in olympic history ??. Yes. A world record breaker with
over 17 points in just GOE?? I dont think so.

Now, tell me yours...

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
The scoring was all over the place. Some people got off easy on URs and edge calls, others got hit hard. Some had GOE's that were ridiculously through the roof, while others made you scratch your head and wonder why they weren't near the others. PCS marks for some people ranged by 3 points in one component. All of that makes it a little difficult to pick the top 5 over and underscored.... I would just say, generally, the scoring was inconsistent throughout all of the disciplines.

Iscariot

On the Ice
Lepisto's 126.61 still has me :unsure::scratch:

She landed 5 triples! even with two she cracks 110, so i wasnt that surprised.
Overall for me last night the marks were so inflated! Mao's 67 PCS, Yuna's 150!!! just a joke, Althouhg i loved the marks they gave to Akiko, and Mirai

Undermarked
Johnny Weir LP
Nobunari Oda LP
Plushenko LP(LOL, I am one of those who support the quad,even though i love the complete package in a program)
Belbin and Agosto OD
Tahakiko SP and LP

Over
Laura Lepisto LP
Yuna Kim Lp(Stunning program, the truly winner but really, 3t at the end of her lutz combo was way UR but whatever)
Patrick Chan LP( amazing footwork, and he has a lot of good skating skills, nice edges, but not be considered better than Weir, that night)
Plushenko Sp(Tech strong but flat and boring when the jumps were done)
Mao asada LP(Just about the PCS, really she is nowhere near of her artistic level at 2008, hope to see her reborn herself for the next olympi cycle, she deserved the same olympic spot as Yuna for her hard owrked)

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
Undermarked
Johnny Weir LP
Plushenko SP and LP (They need to seriously overhaul the point bases for jumps, QUAD is severely undervalued)
Asada SP and LP (Triple axel should be worth at least one more point than the hardest triple-triple combo)
Nagasu SP and LP
Pang and Tong SP and LP (robbed!)

Overmarked
Shen and Zhao SP and LP (especially LP)
Yuna Kim SP and LP
Rochette SP and LP
Lysacek SP and LP
Flatt SP and LP

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
I couldnt agree with you more.

she just only landed a 3lz in her free skating and got 126???

jugding from it, yu-na's high score were fairly judged.

Just imagine what if she happened to land a 3flip! This girl has been gifted through her career. On a good day, she could land 3 triples in a long program but still score above 105! Not big surprise for her 126 pts for landing 5 triples.
European girls really need to start landing some serious jumps.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Underscored:

Langlois / Hay (SP): Simply amazing, should have ranked 5th...
Elena Gedevan (SP): Should have been a few more points higher, and made the Final Flight
Javier Fernandez (FP): Probably skated to early, but had a solid FP that could have been a few more points higher

Overscored:
Patrick Chang (FP): A bit to high, Weir should have been ahead
Kavaguti / Smirnov (SP and FP): Sooooo sloppy and corny as hell. They got spirit, but way over rated to try to save the "Russian" history

rtureck

Final Flight
Overmarked: PangTong SP LP (especially LP!)

Wow are we watching the same competitions?

I only have one for each category
Undermark - Johnny Wier's LP

Overmark- Yuna's LP, I agree with the placement but the GOE given to her is ridiculous. She can fall 1-2 times and still win with those kind of GOE

Bennett

Record Breaker
I don't know, PCS and GOE are subjective. But the title says "Your" so I put mine.

- I thought Miki's PCS rather undermarked in choreos and interpretation. I also think that she deserved better GOEs on jumps.
- Mirai could have been rewarded more for her skating skills. She was very fast. Being dinged for URs throughout the comps and then not called at all here was rather strange. I don't see any big differences in her rotations.
- Rachael not DGed in SP and DGed in LP was very strange.
- Mao could have gotten better transition scores in LP. Bells do have beautiful choreos. I also think that her first 3A should have gotten better GOE.
- Akiko could have gotten better scores on skating skills.
- Yuna delivered a truly outstanding LP. That said, GOEs and PCS seemed rather inflated.
- Kozuka's skating skills should have gotten better marks. His SP also deserved better scores on transitions, interpretation, and performance. It was like a long step sequence from the beginning to the end with extremely dynamic upper body movements. It looked super difficult without very secure skating skills.
- Plush PCS in SP overmarked.
- Evan's PCS in LP overmarked. His scores on 3A are also puzzling to me.
- Lambi's PCS, esp. skating skills, was very overmarked.
- Johnny undermarked in his PCS and GOE.

pohatta

On the Ice
Just imagine what if she happened to land a 3flip! This girl has been gifted through her career. On a good day, she could land 3 triples in a long program but still score above 105! Not big surprise for her 126 pts for landing 5 triples.
European girls really need to start landing some serious jumps.

Enough with this tired harping on counting triples. Didn't this competition prove that she DOES get penalised for lack of triples? More jumps, more points. Laura has quality and charisma oozing out of her skating. If Yu-Na did just three triples, she'd get way more tham 105 points.

Kiira did both 3lutz and 3flip and ended up with 108. Where's her European bonus? She didn't get any, and neither did Laura.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mao Asada SP, LP were underscored. (see explanation below)
Rachael Flatt LP was underscored. Random downgrades. Her flips were fine, as good as Mirai's questionable flip that's clearly rotated on ice. At Skate America, Sandra was saying how she had so much transition, hard transition, going into her 2 lutzes. None of that was reflected in her GOE.

I just watched Figure Skating Review/Preview with Terry Gannon, Kristi Yamguchi, and Peter.
Peter: 3A-2T harder jump
Kristi: harder jump, yes. Mao got lower GOE on a much more difficult jump combination
Michael Weiss: Mao Asada 3A-2T, which blows my mind that it's not worth more. I mean, you ask any guy in figure skating that if they'd rather do a 3A-2T or a 3F-3T or 3Z-3T, they would always say the triple triple combination is easier. The front end take off on the triple axel is much harder so the fact that it's lower... A woman did a 3A-2T in a short program and I think that should be valued higher but Yuna gained her points because she executed well.
Terry Gannon: Do you think that they will go back and weight the 3A more?
Michael Weiss: Absolutely, the 3A and 4T are the most difficult jumps to do and should be rewarded I don't want it to be a jump contest, I like the other aspect of the sport, I like things to be executed really well. a 3F-3T executed well should be worth more than a bad 3A.

So there you have it, all 3 thought the 3A-2T are a much harder combination than the 3Z-3T and the base should be worth higher. However, they would give higher GOE to Yuna and higher base to Mao. In reality, Mao got lower base and lower GOE. Real skaters have spoken and unanimously agreed that 3A-2T base should be higher.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mao Asada SP, LP were underscored. (see explanation below)
Rachael Flatt LP was underscored. Random downgrades. Her flips were fine, as good as Mirai's questionable flip that's clearly rotated on ice. At Skate America, Sandra was saying how she had so much transition, hard transition, going into her 2 lutzes. None of that was reflected in her GOE.

I just watched Figure Skating Review/Preview with Terry Gannon, Kristi Yamguchi, and Peter.
Peter: 3A-2T harder jump
Kristi: harder jump, yes. Mao got lower GOE on a much more difficult jump combination
Michael Weiss: Mao Asada 3A-2T, which blows my mind that it's not worth more. I mean, you ask any guy in figure skating that if they'd rather do a 3A-2T or a 3F-3T or 3Z-3T, they would always say the triple triple combination is easier. The front end take off on the triple axel is much harder so the fact that it's lower... A woman did a 3A-2T in a short program and I think that should be valued higher but Yuna gained her points because she executed well.

So there you have it, all 3 thought the 3A-2T are a much harder combination than the 3Z-3T and the base should be worth higher. However, they would give higher GOE to Yuna and higher base to Mao. In reality, Mao got lower base and lower GOE. Real skaters have spoken and unanimously agreed that 3A-2T base should be higher.
I read Takeshi Honda in Asahi newspaper saying he personally feels that 3A should be rewarded more. I agree that 3A-2T and 4T-3T could have higher base values. I think Plush should have gotten a bigger lead in tech scores in his SP, compared to guys who did 3Lz-3T or 3F-3T. Several ladies can do 3-3, but no one can do 4-3.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Enough with this tired harping on counting triples. Didn't this competition prove that she DOES get penalised for lack of triples? More jumps, more points. Laura has quality and charisma oozing out of her skating. If Yu-Na did just three triples, she'd get way more tham 105 points.

Kiira did both 3lutz and 3flip and ended up with 108. Where's her European bonus? She didn't get any, and neither did Laura.

And I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this is relevant to this discussion. If you're going to be counting triples, it's worth noting that Mao Asada only landed 4 ratified triples. Yes I know 2 of them were 3A...but if we're going to play this game, I just want that to be noted.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I read Takeshi Honda in Asahi newspaper saying he personally feels that 3A should be rewarded more. I agree that 3A-2T and 4T-3T could have higher base values. I think Plush should have gotten a bigger lead in tech scores in his SP, compared to guys who did 3Lz-3T or 3F-3T. Several ladies can do 3-3, but no one can do 4-3.

LOL. You meant Lysacek, Takahashi, Oda them ladies can do 3-3, but only the man, Plushenko can do 4-3? No wonder Plushenko said the "ladies" should compete this week.

Bennett

Record Breaker
LOL. You meant Lysacek, Takahashi, Oda them ladies can do 3-3, but only the man, Plushenko can do 4-3? No wonder Plushenko said the "ladies" should compete this week.
No, I didn't say that the quad is a sign of masculinity. But just trying to say that 3-3 is easier than 4-3.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
No, I didn't say that the quad is a sign of masculinity. But just trying to say that 3-3 is easier than 4-3.
I know. Kidding.

Terry: Did you feel that [pressure] in 92?
Kristi: No, the pressure was on Midori. Leading up to the competition was the triple axel, the triple axel, the triple axel. And the whole question was can my program hold up to her program with the triple axel. I felt like I was the underdog coming into the Olympics. And I played that way, I kept telling myself that and deflected the pressure.

So, from first hand source, Kristi was the underdog in '92, not co-favorite like some posters said before.