Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Your TOP 5 MOST UNDERSCORED/OVERSCORED programs from the Olympics?

watchskate25

Spectator
But prerotation seems common among many skaters who attempt 3A. If Lysacek can get positive GOE for his much prerotated 3A, then Mao should also get it.

How do you know prerotation is common among many skaters? In case of Man's competition, many skaters received UR and negative GOE. I think Mao's big problem is inconsistant and prerotation in 3A.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Here is Mao's 3A+2T at the Olympics. http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/bachadmirer/3A2T_FS.gif

It seems she prerotated almost 1/2 turn and underrotated 1/8 turn. Maybe it could be ratified but its quality was not great enough to receive positive GoEs.
(I think a guideline on prerotation should be made in the future).

Her 2T seems to be underrotated to me.

There is a guide line for take-off. For an Axel type jump, a clear backward take-off is considered a cheated take-off. So if the pre-rotation is more than 1/4 turn, then the take-off is more backward than forward and therefore cheated. For other jumps, a clear forward take-off is considered a cheated take-off. The rule does say a poor take-off is -1 to -2 GOE. Perhaps a cheated take-off is a poor take-off.

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
lol did you look at NBC slow mo? It is clear that her second 3A was NOT clearly rotated and

it was more than 1/4 UR. You can hear the commentators questioning it as well.

Tech was just generous to her because she 's the only one to land it. If it was a

men's comp where everybody does 3A it was definitely a downgrade. Also, her 2T is UR as well

(more than 3A actually) but she gets a free pass on that one. It's a joke that people are

complaining about low GOE on her 3A combo. No speed, no distance, no creative

entry/exit, no flow, no impact, not synced with music, no ease...

it just doesn't meet any criteria for GOE. In fact, she's lucky she didn't get negative GOE.

Why is everyone ragging on Mao when the same criticism can be directed at Yuna? Yuna underrotated almost every single jump in the program, especially the triple toes in combination, according to the NBC scoring guide I give her a fair scoring of 135 and Mao a 142.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1txhIl5Z-UM

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Why is everyone ragging on Mao when the same criticism can be directed at Yuna? Yuna underrotated almost every single jump in the program, especially the triple toes in combination, according to the NBC scoring guide I give her a fair scoring of 135 and Mao a 142.

I can see Yuna having a lower score, but I'm sorry Mao just does not deserve a higher score given her popped 3t and UR 3 jump combination. Plus her skating is slow compared to Yuna's and she showed no emotion. Yuna gets huge GOEs for her jumps mostly because she has very difficult entries and transitions going into them - Mao does not. In the case of Mao's 3as, she just strokes for a long time before them with no choreography or transitioning effort and then pre-rotates the jump 1/2 turn. Her 3a seriously only has a little more than 2.75 rotations in the air, so really, why should it get huge GOE?

watchskate25

Spectator

Ha Ha Ha... I watched this video. I cannot agree with your opinion. This video Too. Are you really agree with opinions in this video? If you say Yes, maybe you are Japanese. After olympics, many Japanese made wrong or ugly video about comparision between Mao and Yuna. They provide wrong information in the video. For a long time, most Japanese thought that no one can beat Mao in Olympic because Mao has 3AS. Japanese don't want to think that Yuna Kim won gold medal. Shame on the one who made this video. I am Canadian who cheers JR. Please don't quote this ugly video in the future.

Last edited:

mcc

Rinkside

Yuna 135 and Mao 142?.. then Mao should have won OGM.. wow
fanally Japan gains one Gold Medal in Vancouver with your help
Congraturations!!!

miki88

Medalist
I can see Yuna having a lower score, but I'm sorry Mao just does not deserve a higher score given her popped 3t and UR 3 jump combination. Plus her skating is slow compared to Yuna's and she showed no emotion. Yuna gets huge GOEs for her jumps mostly because she has very difficult entries and transitions going into them - Mao does not. In the case of Mao's 3as, she just strokes for a long time before them with no choreography or transitioning effort and then pre-rotates the jump 1/2 turn. Her 3a seriously only has a little more than 2.75 rotations in the air, so really, why should it get huge GOE?

Yuna deserves higher GOE, but I don't agree with your statement that Mao shows no emotion in her LP. It's just a different kind of emotion. I actually didn't think Yuna showed much emotion in her program until the last minute or so when she started doing her steps. I also don't agree that Mao little more than 2.75 rotations. She does tend to prerotate but she did more than 3 revolutions in the air on her axels this time.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
To be honest,,,

little bit Overscored
Mao
little bit Underscored
Joannie

Actually I expected Joannie would get 2nd rank when she was finished. I think she was underscored because Mao was overscored. Mao is a so talented girl. However, her jumps in olympic lp were very messy and her interpertion just didn't match with the music at all. I thought some jumps should've been downgraded. However, if i consider she performed just after Yu-na, maybe she should've gotten some advantages unlike the others, so maybe judges did good works. That's why I was satified with the result. In another side, I don't know it was fair for Joannie, though.

They both were sloppy on the LP. Mao was almost robotic, nailed the first 4 jumps cleanly, underotated the 2nd 3Flip and poped the 3T with the blade caught up with the ice. Joannie stepout and underrotated the 3Flip and also two footed the 2A. She did the 3T-3S in sequence which is lower base value so their free skate mark is almost neck to neck. I think the cushion Mao has after the SP, which was totally underscored, allows her to hang on to Silver. The 3A+2T in the SP deserve better GOE and the solo 3A was nicely done and didn't even get +1GOE.

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
Ha Ha Ha... I watched this video. I cannot agree with your opinion. This video Too. Are you really agree with opinions in this video? If you say Yes, maybe you are Japanese. After olympics, many Japanese made wrong or ugly video about comparision between Mao and Yuna. They provide wrong information in the video. For a long time, most Japanese thought that no one can beat Mao in Olympic because Mao has 3AS. Japanese don't want to think that Yuna Kim won gold medal. Shame on the one who made this video. I am Canadian who cheers JR. Please don't quote this ugly video in the future.

I'm not Japanese, I'm Korean, unlike others I don't let my ethnic "pride" cloud my judgment

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Lambiel was way overscored in both programs, though I still love him. Contesti and Verner both bombed but their PCS still should have been higher, they are good skaters and their PCS were crappy.

babyalligator

On the Ice
I'm not Japanese, I'm Korean, unlike others I don't let my ethnic "pride" cloud my judgment

One's ethnicity is not an absolute indicator of one's opinions. Neither is it a qualifier of superiority of judgment. Also, sharing an ethnicity with any representative of that ethnic community is more complicated than a simple "I share ethnicity with that person so I must therefore be in support of that person." This can go in a different direction, the simplest being, "I share ethnicity with that person so I am more secure in my criticism of that person." The world isn't that kind of black or white as any study of race relations will tell you.

I can tell you right now, that my best friend, who happens to be Japanese and has been very much involved with the figure skating world for a long time, would disagree with you about your assessment of Yuna Kim's performance. In that effect, does his ethnicity mean that he is more qualified in his praise of Yuna than a Korean person is? No. It does not. Just as your criticism of her is not more qualified just because of your ethnicity.

Figure88

On the Ice

Give me a break, wonbinfan. I thought you were a quite an extremist. Even I disagreed with how you gloated over Ohno's DQ and how you went overboard with some of your remarks. That's not your "ethnic pride" talking?

As for the video, it's one of dozens of such propaganda videos floating on Youtube. Under the current rules, UR's under 90 degrees are allowed. All of Yuna's jumps looked rotated under the rules. It just shows your lack of knowledge of the subject if you're going to bring up such an obviously biased and manipulated video.

Last edited:
S

sleepyjl

05. Kim's FD.
The best ladies winning performance in olympic history ??. Yes. A world record breaker with
over 17 points in just GOE?? I dont think so.

This was my thought too immediately after the FS, but after reconsideration and multiple viewings, I have to disagree with you. The difficulty levels of all her elements, especially her jumps, are so high that I actually think she deserved greater GOEs than she received. Much praise has been lauded on the height, speed, air position, and coverage of her jumps, with which I wholeheartedly agree. But her transitions are also unbelievably difficult. The spread-eagle/Ina Bauer entry into her 2A combination jumps are super difficult, as all the commentators have remarked. But also look at the 3S and second 3Lz jumps, for example. She stays on her landing foot for a full 3-4 seconds after each, performing 4 turns after the salchow and 2 turns after the lutz, and covering about 30 feet of ice after each, all on said same landing foot. That is just incredible! She needs to exit her jumps with perfect balance, incredible speed and perfect flow in order to pull that off. No other female skater even attempts these types of moves, and she should have gotten at least +2 GOEs on both jumps (she only got +1.4 GOE on her 3S). She more than deserved her positive GOEs and anyone who says different has either not paid enough attention to the details of her program or simply doesn't know enough about skating.

Last edited:

jozmen01

Rinkside
Top 5 underscored
1. Johnny Weir's LP
2. Belbin & Agosto's OD & FD they were underscored entire competition
3. Denney & Barrett's LP
4. Asada's LP PCS should have been higher
5. Flatt's LP

Top 5 overscored
1. Kim's LP Way too high
2. Plushenko's SP & LP Jumps were ok, but PCS way too high
3. Rochette's SP & LP
4. Domnina & Shabalin's OD & FD
5 Asada's LP where were the different types of jumps? only 3a?