Yu-Na Kim Interview... | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim Interview...

tommyk75

Rinkside
I'm currently watching a Yu-Na Kim TV special on Korean TV, so I thought I'd write down some of the things she says since they may be of interest to people.

So here we go:

She says, after the competition, she did interviews and the doping test, and then she, her parents, her coach, and agent celebrated back at the hotel, and then she had to wake up early for the Gala practice, so she didn't get much sleep. She said out of the group, her parents probably seemed the happiest. As for Brian Orser, she mentioned that he gave her medal a kiss, and it looked to her like he teared up a little when he did it.

She says her win hasn't sunk in quite yet, and so far, her life before and after winning the Gold Medal doesn't feel a whole lot different.

She had a lot of praise for Min-Jung Gwak, saying she did very well, especially considering it was only her 2nd international competition. She doesn't think she herself could have done that well at that age.

When asked when her greatest hardship has been in her career, she said it was hard to pick one out, since memories of difficult times outnumber the good moments. She said overall, her 2-3 year strugge with injuries was probably the toughest, because she had to struggle with it every single day.

She said her favorite moment in her SP is her "leg move coming out of the layback spin" (I'm not sure what this move is). When she was asked about the fast music part where she goes into her footwork, she said that was the part of the music that concerned her the most when she heard it for the first time.

She said the fact that she skated directly after Mao Asada did concern her when she first found out.

She said she wore blue for her LP because she thought it went with the music well, and she wasn't unaware that that many Olympic champions had worn blue before.

She says while she's skating, she doesn't really hear anything from the crowd, since she's so busy concentrating on what she's doing.

She says she doesn't know herself why she started crying after she finished her program. Before, she used to wonder why other skaters would start crying, and she can't really explain it herself even after she did it.

She said she watched Mao Asada's LP from backstage, and she felt Asada skated well. When asked whether she would rather skate before or after a rival, Yu-Na said probably every skater would answer "Before."

She was asked about Korean pop celebrities, and she said, she's busy training all the time, so although people sometimes think she's friends with famous people, that's not true, and she gets starstruck herself when she happens to meet them.

She was asked if she ever thought she's now better than her former role model Michelle Kwan, Yu-Na said that it's really too hard to compare skaters from then because the judging systems are different.

She was asked if she ever thought that she had an attractive body, she said, "I'll just live the way I am" and started laughing.

She was asked if she would ever be interested in going into the entertainment business, she said like other girls, she had thoughts of it when she was a lot younger. She said with her personality, being active suits her better than sitting at a desk and studying all the time.

As for romance, she said she hopes she can find a simple, normal relationship.

...They're showing footage of her practicing when she was younger, and after a fall, she cries, "Oh, that hurts." There's also a big bruise on her thigh...

Now footage of an old interview with her mom. She says, "There was a time when she and Yu-Na had many fights due to personality clashes."

Old interview footage of Yu-Na. She says, "There were times when she resented her mom for not being able to do other things, like hanging out with friends. But now, she realizes that made it possible for her to stand at the level where she is now."

Okay, back to Yu-Na. She says of her mom, "Sometimes, I think of her as a friend, sometimes, when we argue, she's like an enemy. But she's always been by my side up to now, and she's kept me from wavering."

What's Yu-Na's dream now? "Up til now, it's always been about the Olympics. So right now, I just want to enjoy the present, and take my time in deciding on a new goal."

Okay, the studio interview is over now. Anyhow, she seems like a very strong young woman, and I like how she doesn't come across as affected at all. She doesn't do some bubbly, cute "Oh, I'm so happy all the time" routine and comes off very down-to-earth. Congratulations, Yu-Na!

Last edited:

csunny7

Rinkside
Thanks! Yuna is so wise and honest in answering to questions.
So happy to hear about this lovely, great "Olympic Champion"

gourry

Final Flight
Thanks for this post!! She always seems honest yet considerate for me. Love this girl!!

She had a lot of praise for Min-Jung Gwak, saying she did very well, especially considering it was only her 2nd international competition. She doesn't think she herself could have done that well at that age.

LOL Yuna! When you were at that age, you WON your second senior event! Not that I'm saying Minjung wasn't impressive. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Thanks for this post!! She always seems honest yet considerate for me. Love this girl!!

LOL Yuna! When you were at that age, you WON your second senior event! Not that I'm saying Minjung wasn't impressive. :)

I think she meant the pressure of the Olympics at 16. What a nice interview, she sounds like such a lovely girl!

Layfan

Record Breaker
This was a great read, thanks so much. I love the part about tears and how she was never a crier and then suddenly found herself blubbering. Sheer relief, I think. Sasha never cried either. I think that's why some people describe both skaters as "cold." I disagree. Just differently personalities... Michelle Kwan is great and you always wanted to give her a hug but not everyone can be a Michelle Kwan and Sasha and Kim Yuna project a different sort of performance style that I appreciate just as much.

hongligl

Final Flight
Thanks so much for posting this! Yu-Na is such a lovely girl! Down-to-earth and honest, despite of enormously talented.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
"As for romance, she said she hopes she can find a simple, normal relationship."

Good luck to her with that, I always imagine it must be hard to date people when you are so famous...

Moxie

On the Ice
Thanks so much for the translation. Everything about her sounds so lovely.:love:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks so much for the post. Yuna sounds like a delightful young woman.

krln99

Rinkside
So gracious, and you can tell she has deep respect for her competition (i.e. Mao) even though she scored so much higher

sunny0760

On the Ice
Thank you for the interview.
I think she takes care of supposedly enormous pressure on her sholders really well.
I was surprised to hear Yu-Na say that she had not felt so much pressure ahead of olympics because she was well prepared.
Anyway, now she is truely relieved and happy.

Another article. Orser's comment about 3A is interesting. I guess she won't retire anytime soon.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE61Q03Y20100227

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Thank you for the interview.
I think she takes care of supposedly enormous pressure on her sholders really well.
I was surprised to hear Yu-Na say that she had not felt so much pressure ahead of olympics because she was well prepared.
Anyway, now she is truely relieved and happy.

Another article. Orser's comment about 3A is interesting. I guess she won't retire anytime soon.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE61Q03Y20100227

If she sticks around for Sochi, no one else will even have a chance of catching her...