Where is Tim's 4Sal? | Golden Skate

Where is Tim's 4Sal?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tim's 4Sal Missing in Action. Why?

While waiting yet another week to see Cup of China, I have finally bitten the bullet and taken a look at the men's detailed results file to see what they did and how much they got scored for it. This isn't really a spoiler since it is a discussion of the program and how this program might fit into better understanding of COP.

Instead of doing his usual 4S3T,4S,4T set of quads in the long and 4S3T in the short, Tim did a 4T/2T in the SP and a 3A/2T/3Lp and 4T/2T in the long.

It's interesting to note that the 3A combo nets 14 some odd points. He has a standalone 3S in the long that probably will turn into a 4S as his training progresses now that his skates appear to be under control. So is the 4S out so that he can concentrate on a 4T combo? In COP the 4S nets a small amount more than the 4T so I don't quite get the point of the choice he has made here. Especially in the short where he is losing the extra points on a 3t vs a 2t and the little difference on the 4s vs the 4t.

Is he trying to change his takeoff on the 4S?

I notice that his 3S got GOE's of 0 and +1, so he certainly did not take any deductions on it. Does anyone know whether he used his usual loop style leg position for the salchow takeoff in Cup of China, or did he use the more orthodox takeoff.

I was glad to see he got good GOE on his two combo spins which were ranked as Level 2 spins! Good job Tim. He has taken a lot of flak for his sit spins, so it looks like he's made some improvements.

On the other hand, it is a little odd to see him given credit for better skating skills than E-man. Tim's scores varied from 6.5 to 8.5 in that department, but after the highs, lows and randoms were thrown out, ended up with 7 something.

It looks like he could use more transitions (expect to see this as this Queen program is fleshed out) and to upgrade his F/W sequences so they are level 2.

dpp

thvudragon

On the Ice
I don't know why he's finding the need to change his salchow technique, as the judges do not seem to be deducting for it :rolleye: as evident to their scores of other skaters with the same technique. Although, I for one, would appreciate it if he is changing his technique.

Either way, I always thought that the 4sal was easier for Tim than the 4toe, so changing it to a 4toe isn't making much sense to me, unless he is changing the technique on the sal.

TV

I always found it difficult to discern his 4Sal. He didn't swing his free leg around as other skaters do before take off.

I think his not doing one in Cup of China was because of the boots but moreso, because the GPs are part strategy. He may have thought he didn't need it. I believe the points for this GP is all he will get having given up SA so lst place was important. I think NHK is a non scoring event.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, Thuvdragon is right. Tim has always been more consistent on the 4S3T than either the 3A or the 4T. And of the 3 jumps, the 4S is the biggest pointer.

Cup of China is his nonscoring event, so perhaps he used it as sort of an extended practice on these different combos. But I hope it's because he's working on a more elegant entry into the salchow!

I'd love to know whether he is.
In any case, I give him lots of credit for changing his trick list.
So many don't, once they reach the podium at World's in any capacity.

Doris

Doris- As I said on another thread, I am dense when it comes to knowing the seeded skaters' scoring and non'scoring events. It's too bad for Tim that China was a non scoring. He didn't show for SA and lost that scoring event totally. If he's going to make it to the finals a la Kwan, he'll have to win the NKH.

I agree a better entry into the 4Sal would be to his advantage. As it is, it doesn't have any excitement.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
Skate America was Tim's other scoring event but missed it and he can't make up for it. I heard Tim is still have boot problems so maybe he does feel comfortable with that particular quad yet.

sk8m8

Final Flight
I did notice that Tim had trouble on his 3 Axel in the short. I'm wondering that since the salcow is an "edge" jump ( as is the axel) that maybe it's taking longer to master those jumps with an equipment problem.

Tim has never had too much trouble landing a 4T-3T combination, to see him choose a 2T after the quad may be more indication that he's made improvements with the new boots, but may not be there yet.

Lastly, Tim may have perahaps be a little wiser when it comes to not injuring himself. After last year, he may be backing off some edge jumps to avoid reinjuring himself until he feels that he's in sufficient condition and over his skates enough to execute without risking hurting himself.

If any or all of the above are the case, good for Tim for skating smart and hard.