Mao wants to do a quad at Sochi in 2014 | Golden Skate

Mao wants to do a quad at Sochi in 2014

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I read somewhere (a Japanese sports newspaper was quoted as the source) that Mao wants to put a quad in her program for the 2014 Olympics. What do you guys think of that? Is that a good move for her or should she focus on improving her overall program instead?

Last edited:

tetana

Rinkside
Please, Mao.. It is not the thing you should do for victory. I don't know why you are so obessed with new jumps! Triple Axel? Honestly, most of them should've been downgraded or didn't succeed. Pre-lotation, angle of your blades.... Cop can't be changed just for you!!!
I think you just need to concentrate on triple salco or lutz or toe. Plus, understanding the music is also important to skate. I love your adventrous personality. But it is not good. just very bad choice. Your poses are just beautiful. Why don't you waste your talent like using your body beautifully. You can be into the music like when you were young. It will be better for you. If I can see her, I want to yell in front of her like this!

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I read somewhere (a Japanese sports newspaper was quoted as the source) that Mao wants to put a quad in her program for the 2014 Olympics. What do you guys think of that? Is that a good move for her or should she focus on improving her overall program instead?
I think that she should focus on improving her overall program, but I also admire her athleticism. That seems like her nature and you just can't stop athletes from challenging themselves. The system tells you what you should do, and yes, there are a whole bunch of list that she should be improving on. But there is a kind of skate that YOU want to do from the bottom of the heart. She's just been told hard that her style is not working under the current system. She knew that 3A out of steps, three 3As etc were not that effective under the current system. But still sticking to that and willing to take that risk, it's a strong statement from this sweet, gentle young lady.
I think it fine as she takes all the responsibility and never blames rules.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I see Mao fighting so hard to take away Kwan's crown as the greatest Lady skater never to win the OGM.

This won't be easy but it seems Team Mao is capable of many things. But knowing how to win an OGM is not one of them.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I think 4 years is not that much of a time. Of course, it's up to Mao how she's willing to spend them. I also think she could start producing quads if she really wanted to, the girl loves challenges and is persistent in her endeavors.

I rather her continue to work on her lutz/ flip/ toeloop, and go see someone with an actual taste, like Marina Zueva + Yuka Sato. With a makeover and overall polish she might start gather higher GOEs (which I think is where she loses the most points, and not due to the lack of quad).

NB: I'm not sure I can survive another season of french bordello dresses, quad or no quad.

miki88

Medalist
There is also an article that says Mao is thinking of bringing back her 3-3 in her program. :) If Mao brings her 3-3 back, then I think she has to bring her lutz back. As for her quad, I think it is not a big deal because it may just be a jump that stays in practice (Miki and her quad) if she doesn't get it consistent enough.

Bennett

Record Breaker
She does say she wants to win, but she somehow takes less effective, more challenging strategies. Hope she tries what she dreamed of and will have no regrets because you just can't take back the time. I like ppl who can think outside the box, who push the boundaries, and who seriously do something that seems really absord. Be absord and enjoy what you do with a pure heart! That's your style.
I just watched her interview saying that she missed the combo when she thought "this will earn 9.0 points" and was not focused on her skate. That cost her a clean program that she wished for.
It would be good for her if she has something that fascinates her and the quad sounds like the one.

Last edited:

SXTN

Final Flight
well.....

one problem i have with mao is her talking too much... every year she talks about new jumps and stuff or invites camera teams to her practices where she does 3t-3t, 3f-3j-2l, 3l-3l and when the season begins she has problems with her 3f-2l and totally avoids two other triple jumps...

but i am so glad she is leaving tarasova.. i hope she finds someone who knows how to work the system and who can correct her jumps..

Mafke

Medalist
I see Mao fighting so hard to take away Kwan's crown as the greatest Lady skater never to win the OGM.

This won't be easy but it seems Team Mao is capable of many things. But knowing how to win an OGM is not one of them.

This. :clap: :clap: :clap:

jasminum

Rinkside
First time to post here. Hello, everyone.

I watched the gala program on TV tonight. In the interview after her performance, Mao said she's happy about the 3 3As, but she has many other things she has to work on, while she wants to maintain her 3As.

I though she's aware of what she needs to do and I was happy to hear that. I really, really want Mao to correct and improve her other triples with new coach.

hurrah

Medalist
I have not read that Mao wants to do quad at Sochi. I did read an article saying that she can sometimes land them in practice, and that putting it in future competition is a possibility. The only thing I've actually heard Mao say in interviews is that she found the Olympic experience memorable and that she wants to avoid injuries and go to Sochi.

miki88

Medalist
I have not read that Mao wants to do quad at Sochi. I did read an article saying that she can sometimes land them in practice, and that putting it in future competition is a possibility. The only thing I've actually heard Mao say in interviews is that she found the Olympic experience memorable and that she wants to avoid injuries and go to Sochi.

Right. And I don't know if the quad thing is a thing said by TAT or actually from Mao because I didn't see direct quotes from Mao herself. There was also an article that said that Mao is satisfied with 3A but also knows she has other things to work on such as the 3-3.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao has trouble rotating triples, so I really don't see her getting a quad ratified, but if she wishes to go for it, then go!

Layfan

Record Breaker
There is also an article that says Mao is thinking of bringing back her 3-3 in her program. :) If Mao brings her 3-3 back, then I think she has to bring her lutz back. As for her quad, I think it is not a big deal because it may just be a jump that stays in practice (Miki and her quad) if she doesn't get it consistent enough.

She should focus on getting her 3-3 ... if she had that plus the 3a ... she may very well become the unbeatable one, given all her other wondereful qualities. Would she reallly be able to fix her 3-3 while focusing on the quad, even just for practice?

It would probably take a lot of tedious work, though, getting rid of her flutz and practicing proper rotation technique. I guess it makes her feel better to work on a huge jump no one else can do, like the 3a and the quad..

It's all up to her...

prettykeys

Medalist
A Mao quad is a tantalizing thought, but for sure I want to see her do a full set of triples (including keeping that 3A in tip-top shape), get those 3-3's landed consistently, and have beautifully crafted programs that highlight her personality, first. Personally, I don't think the quad is worth it, compared to the other things she can work on and polish over 4 years. An 8-triple LP would be a more realistic, attainable, and rewarding goal.

miki88

Medalist
She should focus on getting her 3-3 ... if she had that plus the 3a ... she may very well become the unbeatable one, given all her other wondereful qualities. Would she reallly be able to fix her 3-3 while focusing on the quad, even just for practice?

It would probably take a lot of tedious work, though, getting rid of her flutz and practicing proper rotation technique. I guess it makes her feel better to work on a huge jump no one else can do, like the 3a and the quad..

It's all up to her...

I think it will depend on the new technical coach she has. If it is a good coach, then he/she will help her focus on the jumps she needs to perfect on. I wouldn't pay to much credence on the quad talk because there was a similar news ages ago that said Mao was practicing a quad salchow. It's merely a possiblity but that doesn't mean she will attempt it in competition.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I think Mao will be able to do the quad around 2012, but I don't know if her body will be able to hang onto it until 2014.

I just rewatched YuNa's and Mao's free skate. The think that strikes me is that, though I love both of them, I like Mao's upper body carriage just a bit more. She has a fluidity in her arms and back that YuNa lacks. I love the way Mao moves to music, and the way she projects emotion. When she's on, she sparkles like no one else. But I really disliked this program, especially the frenzied footwork with the fliung arms. And that garish costume. Her whole presentation worked against her rather than for her.

I'd love to see her with Nobuo Sato. If she doesn't want to leave Japan (and I understand not wanting to leave home turf), he seems like the meticulous, steady, tasteful coach she needs. I gather she's strong-willed, but I would imagine he is too. And maybe Yuka could collaborate with him on her training! Asada is a national treasure, and there ought to be a way to bring her gifts to full flower.

As for a quad jump, let her go for what she wants--it's her life and her body. But like most of you, I'd rather see her work on her existing (or nonexistent) other jumps and combinations.