Best Overall Competition?? | Golden Skate

Best Overall Competition??

Which category was the best in Vancouver?

• Pairs

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Men

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Dance

Votes: 55 24.9%
  • Ladies

Votes: 131 59.3%
  • Who Cares?? Moguls ruled!

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

SamuraiKike

Medalist
So which category did you think was the best competed despite your personal preferences for each??

My vote goes to Ice Dance. While Ladies had the best final flight ever in the previous groups there were lots of splats and meltdowns (Carolina, Elene, Sarah M.) but in Dance basically everyone was a step or two above what they had shown so far. I liked more The OD which was sensational (Not a single fall!!, take that Torino). That being said, Im amazed how much I enjoyed the ladies, honestly I hardly watch them, they bore me to death sometimes, but the girls skated with their hearts at Vancouver.

Pairs had a breathtaking SP, the best ever IMO but in the LP if it weren't for Pang & Tong we will all be complaining about hoow crappy it was.

Men was absolutely the biggest dissapointment of the games. The deeepest men's field in history with 10+ contenders for a medal and what we got: Only 3 skaters gave the best they had (Evan, Daisuke and JOhnny) while all the others either gave mediocre or subpar performances or just had meltdowns of epic proportions. Thank god the young boys showed us some promise for Sochi.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Hard call between Ice Dance and Ladies...and although Ladies put me in a high for all of this weekend, I went with Ice Dance because it was so close between the finalists.

Yar. :thumbsup:

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Hard call between Ice Dance and Ladies...and although Ladies put me in a high for all of this weekend, I went with Ice Dance because it was so close between the finalists.

Yar. :thumbsup:

Agree it was a hard call. I went with Ladies because it was supposed to be the least exciting discipline and by far exceeded expectations. Dance was great but we kind of expected that with all the great teams of D/W, V/M and B/A. I was really excited about D/S the French and was a bit disappointed by their performance.

prettykeys

Medalist
Agree it was a hard call. I went with Ladies because it was supposed to be the least exciting discipline and by far exceeded expectations. Dance was great but we kind of expected that with all the great teams of D/W, V/M and B/A. I was really excited about D/S the French and was a bit disappointed by their performance.
That is true; the actual performances of the Ladies far exceeded what you may have expected from how the season panned out. It could have easily been a huge nervewracking splatfest. From the Competition point of view, I give the edge to Ice Dance, but from the Competitors' viewpoint, my hats off to the Ladies. :bow:

Audrey19

On the Ice
The Ladies!!! I'm still in awe! :love: That was the best ladies' event I've ever seen, so many ladies going clean and performing, with really appealling presentation!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The Men were the highlight for me. Billed as the largest field ever to contend for the gold, and the event lived up to my anticipated excitement. And of course it ended perfectly.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Pairs was the worst. Too many falls in the LP. The Men's LP wasn't the greatest either, and some of the men were poor sports (not mentioning any names). The top two in dance were excellent, but Domnina and Shabalin's OD and them getting 3rd kind of soured it for me. I picked the ladies because the most people skated clean (well, not counting dance because there are seldom falls in dance anyway), Yu-Na's LP was perfection, Mao did triple axels, and Joannie gave courageous performances.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Mens was my favorite. Everything went exactly how I wanted and the programs were great. Dance would come next, with the exception of D/S costumes and them getting placed ahead of B/A. Too many falls in Pairs LP, but the SP was cool. Ladies was my least favorite this time around. They didn't really let anyone compete.

Lotta

On the Ice
Men. Although I was looking forward the most to ice dance (VIRTUE AND MOIR!!!!!!!!!) the men's event was such a deep field. It was also a shock to see many contenders bombing (Joubert, Verner, Abbott). Loved these boys. <3

screech

Final Flight
Mens is usually my favourite event, but I honestly can't decide here!

- Loved the drama of the mens event. Who woulda thunk it that the diva attitudes would be most prevalent in the mens? It was exciting for the Plushacek gold medal battle, but kind of fell a bit flat other than that for the most part, which disappointed me.
- Ladies - not a splatfest! So many well skated programs. Kudos to all those who handled the pressure so well. The underwhelming thing about it is that in the months leading up to the gams, I think that about 90% of us would have predicted that exact podium.
- Pairs - Finally the gold for Shen/Zhao, but the skate of their lives for Pang/Tong. It wasn't really much of a nailbiter because there were so many errors, but it was still a great event to watch
- Dance - Lovely to see the new generation of skaters bringing a new, less frantic, style of dancing to the world. Again, a well skated event without much controversy (aside from the costumes and some thoughts that Belgosto were robbed). And of course, the breaking of the European stronghold on the event.

I can't decide!

yunasashafan

On the Ice
- Ladies - not a splatfest! So many well skated programs. Kudos to all those who handled the pressure so well. The underwhelming thing about it is that in the months leading up to the gams, I think that about 90% of us would have predicted that exact podium.

That was actually the surprise of the event! That the predicted podium ended up being the actual one, in the same order :) How many times did that happen before?

yqs100

On the Ice
1. Pairs ( wonderful battle, wonderful result and wonderful people)
2. Men's ( was a bit surprised)
3. Ice Dancing
4. Ladies' (already knew the champion after the SP,,,,,,the score is just ridiculous)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
1.Ladies — No splatfest. Top 11 didn't fall. Perfect progams from Yuna when it counted. Great skating from the upstarts (Lee, Kwak, Ksenia). Love it!
2. Ice Dance — They bought it! I was rooting for Davis and White but I have to admit that Virtue and Moir got me hooked!
3. Pairs — Shen and Zhao get their gold! Pang and Tong do the SOTL and get silver! Still love S/S's "Out of Africa."
4. Men — Some good performances from the upstarts here as well, but otherwise an underwhelming competition with an underwhelming gold medal winning performance.

Bennett

Record Breaker
That was actually the surprise of the event! That the predicted podium ended up being the actual one, in the same order :) How many times did that happen before?
Really? Did so many ppl expect Mao and Rochette to be on the podium? We had numerous threads worrying about Mao and Rochette bombing at GPs. I was pleasantly surprised that both were getting out of their slumps in time, but thought they were still in the process of getting out of it.

sunrock

Rinkside
Every potion had it's share of magical moments, but my favorite was ice dance. Scott, Tessa, Charlie, and Meryl showed you don't need to wait around for 5 or so seasons to get your dues. The judges actually judged what happened on the ice and not by reputation or how long you've been around.