Closing ceremonies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Closing ceremonies

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Is anyone else pissed off that NBC didn't even mention Mao Asada in the Ladies' Figure Skating Recap?

Three triple axels (aka making history) is not easy you know!

Ugh.

Closing Ceremonies haven't started where I am yet.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Is anyone else pissed off that NBC didn't even mention Mao Asada in the Ladies' Figure Skating Recap?

Ugh.

Just be glad NBC showed her skating at all during the competition. I hear the NBC execs were angling for an entire Olympic coverage of nothing but ads with ad breaks and ads about ads and ads inserted into other ads.

Lotta

On the Ice

Ugh.

She and Daisuke are the forgotten medalists here. She, overshadowed by Queen Yuna, Grieving Joannie, and American teenagers (hell, Miki was more overshadowed by the five of them! :( ); he, by Golden American Evan and Whining Quad King Plushy.

Damn you American media. Damn you.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
She and Daisuke are the forgotten medalists here. She, overshadowed by Queen Yuna, Grieving Joannie, and American teenagers (hell, Miki was more overshadowed by the five of them! :( ); he, by Golden American Evan and Whining Quad King Plushy.

Damn you American media. Damn you.

Heck even Shen and Zhao and the US's own Davis and White did not deserve a mention from NBC in their recap tonight ..grrrr :mad: (they did mention Tessa and Scott)

Kissx3

Final Flight
NBC hasn't mentioned Asada since the end of her long program. It's funny also how they were all about Rachel leading up to the skating but have barely made a peep about her since Mirai placed higher.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
NBC hasn't mentioned Asada since the end of her long program. It's funny also how they were all about Rachel leading up to the skating but have barely made a peep about her since Mirai placed higher.

To be fair they did mention Mao in a recap earlier in the afternoon, but not Rachael!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
To be fair they did mention Mao in a recap earlier in the afternoon, but not Rachael!

S'not really that much fairer when you're the reigning Olympics silver medalist who has done something no other woman has ever attempted before ...

Diva

On the Ice
I'd have preferred Yagudin. Come to think of it, why not him?

They should represent the past (Rodnina & Tretiak), now (Plushenko & Ovechkin) and future (the Kids) of Russian sport. But I think it's a bit weird to have Larionovs 22 year old daughter to represent the future of Russian sport (just know that at some point she tried to be a singer) :sheesh::laugh:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
They should represent the past (Rodnina & Tretiak), now (Plushenko & Ovechkin) and future (the Kids) of Russian sport. But I think it's a bit weird to have Larionovs 22 year old daughter to represent the future of Russian sport (just know that at some point she tried to be a singer) :sheesh::laugh:

Yagudin could be in the past. Or they could make something else up and shoehorn him in there. Or he could've been part of the pre-taped footage, so he wouldn't even have to fly out to Canada.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
S'not really that much fairer when you're the reigning Olympics silver medalist who has done something no other woman has ever attempted before ...

I am not implying that was fair. It wasn't at all. In fact if you look at my post in the NBC coverage thread you'll know what I think. I just meant to correct the notion that NBC did not mention Mao since the LP. This evening's recap was the only instance they failed to mention Mao.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
Whatever happened to the Gala? Was that tape delayed till next Sunday? Damn, I got myself all comfortable for the Gala and it never took place.

The Gala coverage was horrible!! NBC only showed 6 skaters: Evgeni, Joannie, Evan, Yuna, Davis/White and Virtue/Moir. I was very disappointed, I was at least expecting to see some more of the medallists! Unfortunately, you didn't miss much :disapp:

Last edited:

Diva

On the Ice
It was liza for sure, i m not sure for daria. Rodnina, hockey player, Plush and one more.
Not sure because I haven't seen her in a while, but I think that's her (1 & 2).

Yagudin could be in the past. Or they could make something else up and shoehorn him in there. Or he could've been part of the pre-taped footage, so he wouldn't even have to fly out to Canada.
I would have loved to see him but I guess he wasn't successful enough considering that both Rodnina and Tretiak were there, who have won 3 golds each. Probably would have prefered him to NavKos but I was fine anyway ;)

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I would have loved to see him but I guess he wasn't successful enough considering that both Rodnina and Tretiak were there, who have won 3 golds each. Probably would have prefered him to NavKos but I was fine anyway ;)

Not successful enough, huh? Hm... I would think that maybe Yagudin's absence had more to do with his words reg Plushenko that he won't be rooting for the latter in the Olys since they've never been real friends, and the fact that those words were then used by that troll / Russian FS TV announcer Soloviev to start a smear campaign against Yagudin in his Olympic blog, accusing Alexei of not being patriotic enough, and hinting at his supposed greediness and calculating love for everything North American. And as a result Soloviev's mob reacting joyfully to the news that Yagudin's in a hospital for another operation.

Plus, given the fact the the blond b...o owns some serious business in Sochi, she could use all her political / mafioso influence to deny Yags an opportunity, since she made it clear what she thinks of her husband's former rival when she tried to humiliate him in a direct confrontation on the national television (but made herself look like a complete idiot instead).

Just sayin' :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Or that maybe Plushenko was on the Sochi bid in 2007, has been Ambassador of Sochi now, he has been also a successful athlete with 3 Olympic medals and honestly guys, they had to pick one eligible athlete to represent the present and they just did pick him. If they wanted Yagudin instead of Rodnina for the past representation why not, but then again why not A. Dimitriev or Anton and Helena or like a hundrend athletes - Olympic Champions of Russia on any winter sport. Was it also a conspiracy against them by blonde mafia?

I mean not all things in universe are floating around Yagudin - Plushenko past rival so that they picked one instead of other and I doubt Yagudin would want to fly to Vancouver for one fraction of second in the presentation of Sochi.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Speaking of Anton and conspiracy.

Anton, alas, was a studio guest in a 'humoristic program' called ParisHilton'sSpotLight on Russian TV the other day, in a segment about Olympic figure skating. And while the hosts were dissing and mocking Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek, Anton laughed along with them. The show's turned out to be pretty much like that infamous piece by Nancy Kerrigan and that idiot-don't-remeber-his-name she invited to talk about Johnny Weir a couple yrs ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXlGUYQcS6I&

Needless to say, Johnny's Russian fans are furious.

The conspiracy part? I guess it's along the lines - Look who won there! A sissy. A cry baby. We need real men there. And Anton graciously agreeing to come back and to be one.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I thought we were talking about the closing ceremonies???

Oh, I hated the beavers/mounties part. Count me as one who hates Canada being stereotyped like this. I know it was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek caricature but did the rest of the world see it that way? Micahel Buble doing "Maple Leaf Forever" was great, but I didn't like what came with it. I was wondering if a giant Tim's cup wa scoming out next. Canadians probably would have cheered for that! LOL I also liked when William Shatner said, "I'm proud of Loooouuuuuuu". LOL

I don't like Avril much but I loved that the Japanese athletes loved her and were dancing away!