Your favorite athletes at these Olympics | Golden Skate

Your favorite athletes at these Olympics

karenll

Rinkside
Who are your favorite athletes at these Olympics (besides figure skaters)?

Athletes that really made an impression on me:

Katherine Reutter (short track)--She's so unassuming and unhyped, but WOW. Loved her 1000M performance, she earned the first US women's short track medal in many years. She's awesome.

Alex Bilodeau (moguls)--Earned Canada's first home soil gold. He's so humble and his relationship with his brother Frederick is inspiring.

JR Celski (short track)--It took a lot of courage and hard work to recover from that serious injury. Very impressive. Apolo's successor?

Shani Davis (speed skating)--I don't why he's never hyped and never gets any endorsements. He's one of the most consistent and decorated athletes at these games. He won another gold in 1000M and NBC doesn't seem to care, but he truly rocked.

Maelle Ricker (snowboard cross)--Loved her run! So solid, especially in comparison to the overhyped Jacobellis. And the first woman to win home soil gold for Canada!

Lindsey Vonn (downhill)--Powered through her injury to get the gold (first downhill gold for a US woman!) So fast...totally lived up to the hype.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Jenn Heil (moguls)-for class in her silver

Alex Bilodeau (moguls)-obvious reasons

Clara Hughes (long track)-has always been one of my favourites, Summer and Winter Games medallist & still able to pull out a medal after all these years. Did anyone else catch the interview where she said she was into drugs and alcohol and speed skating changed her life? Amazing.

Scott & Tessa & Joannie (skating :love:)-not sure if this is fair because they were my favourites before the games, too. But they all took it to a new level with they way they performed at the Olympics.

Roberto Luongo (hockey)-I know hockey but I don't watch too often. Haven't really seen Lou in action and was mighty impressed. Also Ryan Miller. Might have to take in a Sabres game to catch this guy live.

Shaun White (half pipe)-Holy man! I heard someone say he was so good he should have been given the gold & silver. No doubt! He is unbelieveable

Jasey-Jay Anderson (snowboard slalom)-for many Olys this guy had been called a contender and never done it. Now, at 35, he was no longer considered a contender, yet came out and beat the World Cup points champion. That's determination.

Last edited:

karenll

Rinkside
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about Clara and Jasey-Jay! And Shaun was just insane in the halfpipe. So many inspiring stories at these Olympics...their determination and work ethic are even more impressive than their athletic skills :)

jennylovskt

Medalist
Besides figure skaters, my favorite athletes in this Olympics:

Alexandre Bilodeau (Canada) - moguls
Sidney Crosby (Canada) - hockey
Shauni Davis (US) - speed skating

Wicked

Final Flight
Bill Demong (US Nordic Combined), Johnny Spillane (US Nordic Combined), Simon Amman (Swiss ski jumper), Steve Holcomb (US Bobsled driver), Maria Riesch (German Alpine Skiier). I also like anybody who podiumed who was not expected to. Go Unexpected Guys!