Lysacek's Olympic Costume | Golden Skate

Lysacek's Olympic Costume

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
Can someone please explain to me why Evan had snakes sewn onto his LP costume? For the life of me, I can't figure out why the snakes are there and it's driving me crazy!!

Raatkirani

On the Ice
I think it has to do with the music that he picked, Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov. The music is based on the book One Thousand and One Nights (aka Arabian Nights). I think Evan is portraying the "mad king," Shahriar, who has come to mistrust all women and has beheaded a thousand of them (one every night after marrying them). Scheherazade eventually charms him with her continous stories that she leaves at a cliffhanger each night so that the king requests her to finish the next evening and so on.

The snakes are just part of "middle eastern" imagery that is often thought of by westerners (think Arabia-->Persia--->India--->snake charmers, cobras, etc). It's not culturally accurate, but it conveys the theme.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Evan himself explains the snakes in this video:

http://www.mefeedia.com/news/28760206

Summary: He's skating to Scheherazade, which is about the battle between an evil king and a slave for the love of a woman. One of the snakes represent the slave, the other represents the evil king, and they meet in the middle as they battle. He portrays the two different characters in the program, switching back and forth.

Well, um, ok. Scheherazade redone as snakes on a split personality. Whatever you say, Evan.