About spincombos GOEs | Golden Skate

About spincombos GOEs

JulioP

Spectator
About spin combos GOEs

Hi everybody! I've some questions about spincombos GOEs. Beg your pardon for my english.
1) I know that a more than required number of revolutions deserves a bullet, but do ISU rules refer to many more revolutions for each position or to the spincombo overall number of revolutions? In other words, if a difficult upright attains 8 revolutions while the following sit and camel reach just the minimun revolutions, will the spincombo deserve a bullet according ISU rules?
2) ISU rules encourage spincombos originality: so, according the Rules, is a creative difficult upright followed by just average sit and camel worth a bullet or not?
3) If a FCoSp starts with nice height and airposition and goes on with just average spins positions, will it deserve a bullet?
In general, when evaluating spincombos are the requisites for good GOEs about each and all the spins or not?
Is it all about the discretion of the judges, maybe?
Thank you.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Mostly, the bullets are guidelines. Good air position + adequate revs = 1 bullet (in general), good air position + more than 8 revs in position = 2 bullets, etc. The good can counter balance the bad (travel, slows down horribly, ugly position, etc)

JulioP

Spectator
Mostly, the bullets are guidelines. Good air position + adequate revs = 1 bullet (in general), good air position + more than 8 revs in position = 2 bullets, etc. The good can counter balance the bad (travel, slows down horribly, ugly position, etc)

So according ISU guidelines in a combo a skater gets a bullet just for much more revolutions in one position, not in all the positions, am I right?

gkelly

Record Breaker
The guidelines aren't explicit about that.

I would expect that some judges might be impressed by the camel position being held for 8 or even 5+ revolutions in a combination, since it's inherently the slowest spinning position and hardest to hold that long.

In a combo, there are expected to be at least 6 revs on each foot in the junior and senior short program (5 for intermediate and novice in the US), and at least 10 revs total in the long program.

If you can get close to twice that many in total, then judges might think about rewarding that bullet point. Some judges will probably be more generous than others.

Originality is also probably going to be very subjective as to which judges will reward it and which are less likely to notice or care.

8 revs in a difficult upright position (or any camel, sit, or layback position) is a feature that would help the base mark, as opposed to the GOE. But it would also contribute to the total number of revolutions and potentially help the GOE that way.

For good GOE on spins, I'd guess that speed (which also helps the number of revolutions), centering, and beauty of the positions would be most likely to be rewarded. And great air positions on flying spins.