The battles of Media | Golden Skate

The battles of Media

woshisunnya

Rinkside
Today one thing just happened, one of my colleague with non figure skating knowledge came ask me if I know about the scandal in Olympic that Korea paid for the judges for steal the gold medal in ladies events. I am shocked and asked him where the news from, he said its all in the sports forum from public bbs, there are interviews from past skaters said Mao was unfaired souced and should get higher marks and the video on youtube with the filming of judge are talked a lot.

I think the battle of the medias, particular of Japan and Korea media are way too much on this because I think if Mao is the winner and Yuna comes with second, the Korea media might just do some things. At this moment, I feel very sorry for Yuna. As a figure skating fans, I think she earns her gold medal for skating two beautiful and difficult clean in this competetion, but for someone else, it just her country paid for her gold.

Ren

On the Ice
Today one thing just happened, one of my colleague with non figure skating knowledge came ask me if I know about the scandal in Olympic that Korea paid for the judges for steal the gold medal in ladies events. I am shocked and asked him where the news from, he said its all in the sports forum from public bbs, there are interviews from past skaters said Mao was unfaired souced and should get higher marks and the video on youtube with the filming of judge are talked a lot.

I think the battle of the medias, particular of Japan and Korea media are way too much on this because I think if Mao is the winner and Yuna comes with second, the Korea media might just do some things. At this moment, I feel very sorry for Yuna. As a figure skating fans, I think she earns her gold medal for skating two beautiful and difficult clean in this competetion, but for someone else, it just her country paid for her gold.

It really is sad, the way things are being blown way out of proportion. Sometimes it's like the headlines say one thing, but when you actually read the articles, or listen to the actual interviews, you find out that the skaters or coaches actually say something else--most probably polite, non-commital, neutral, respectful, cautious things. Words get twisted in order to sell more papers or get more hits, and meanwhile, people get more and more excitable.

As for the gold medal being bought, is there any hard evidence? This kind of talk smacks of slander. If the judge-bribing were true, most of the nine (if not all) the judges would have been approached, because the system throws out a couple of scores, doesn't it? Not to mention that the judging is still under scrutiny after what had happened in SLC. And in all honesty, I don't think the Korean figure skating fed is that high in the pecking order...

I've seen the video. While I do not agree with anonymous judging, it is the system we have in place right now. Lobby for a change once the season is over, when the ISU convenes. The video-taping seems like a breach of journalist ethics to me. Do you need to film the actual judging to explain the scoring system, particularly the GOEs? I don't think so. And how convenient for this particular show to focus only on the GOEs; did they forget the under-rotated triple flip and the popped triple toe?

I feel sad for both Mao and Yu-Na, having to deal with all of this.