Could a perfect Midori have beaten a perfect Yuna? | Golden Skate

Could a perfect Midori have beaten a perfect Yuna?

hurrah

Medalist
Actually, the more I think of it, the more I think that Midori would have been unbeatable against not just Yuna but anyone under CoP.

She had all the jumps, all done with exceptional height, width, speed. She had great centered spins with quick revolutions. She had great step sequence. The only problem she might have encountered is flexibility, but given the huge, huge GoEs she would have gotten from her speed and power, it wouldn't have mattered that much.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Actually, the more I think of it, the more I think that Midori would have been unbeatable against not just Yuna but anyone under CoP.

She had all the jumps, all done with exceptional height, width, speed. She had great centered spins with quick revolutions. She had great step sequence. The only problem she might have encountered is flexibility, but given the huge, huge GoEs she would have gotten from her speed and power, it wouldn't have mattered that much.

Yeah, all of her jumps deserve plus 3 GoEs .

miki88

Medalist
I want to see a skater with Midori's jumps and Kwan's artistry. Then we'll have the best skater in history;)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Depends on what a "perfect" midori means. Two triple axels? A 3/3? Maybe. But that would be saying a less artistic perfect Mao could beat Yuna, yet even a perfect Mao could not beat her Yuna. She is unbeatable when clean. Period.

Wrlmy

Medalist
But unlike Mao, Midori would be getting incredibly high GOEs on all of her jumps. Apart from inconsistency issues, she had it all. She often had difficult transitions in and/or out of her jump elements comparable to Yuna. I don't know how her minor leg wrap would've affected GOEs, but IMO the other qualities of her jumps could more than make up for it. Also she grew up in "figure" era, so her skating skill score would be at least high as Yuna's. Nonetheless, I have to assume Yuna will get extra "pretty" points, so they would be quite evenly matched in terms of score.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Will someone create threads like this later? lol

Could a perfect Sasha have beaten a perfect Yuna?
Could a perfect K. Yamaguchi have beaten a perfect Yuna?
Could a perfect whoever have beaten a perfect Yuna?

Bennett

Record Breaker
But unlike Mao, Midori would be getting incredibly high GOEs on all of her jumps. Apart from inconsistency issues, she had it all. She often had difficult transitions in and/or out of her jump elements comparable to Yuna. I don't know how her minor leg wrap would've affected GOEs, but IMO the other qualities of her jumps could more than make up for it. Also she grew up in "figure" era, so her skating skill score would be at least high as Yuna's. Nonetheless, I have to assume Yuna will get extra "pretty" points, so they would be quite evenly matched in terms of score.
Her skating was very fast even though her stroking was not very refined. I also think that she matured in her artistic department after turning to pro. She retired at a relatively younger age from the current standard. So if she continued until mid 20's, it would have been interesting to see how her more artistic rivals (e.g., yamaguchi, Witt) would have matched her.

miki88

Medalist
Well, Midori Ito was always ahead of her peers in terms of technical department. So it's prossible if she had competed in the present day, she will still be ahead of everyone. Frankly, some of her jumps were better than some men. It was the artistic side that she was at a disadvantage, but she was still a very enjoyable skater to watch.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Midori flutzed, so she wouldn't get high GOES on her 3lutzs. But other than that at this point Midori would have been more competitive with Yu-na than Mao because Midori had other jumps to back her up, instead of just the 3axel. However, if Midori couldnt' manage to beat Kristi....

miki88

Medalist
Midori flutzed, so she wouldn't get high GOES on her 3lutzs. But other than that at this point Midori would have been more competitive with Yu-na than Mao because Midori had other jumps to back her up, instead of just the 3axel. However, if Midori couldnt' manage to beat Kristi....

Well I think it all depends on the situation. A clean Midori, I think, has the edge over Kristi. She lost because she made mistakes. It's really hard to compare skaters across eras, because of the different rules. I don't think Yuna or Mao could have beat any of the skaters because the foremost thing is that they lack a full set of triples which was mandatory in the 6.0 era.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well I think it all depends on the situation. A clean Midori, I think, has the edge over Kristi. She lost because she made mistakes. It's really hard to compare skaters across eras, because of the different rules. I don't think Yuna or Mao could have beat any of the skaters because the foremost thing is that they lack a full set of triples which was mandatory in the 6.0 era.

You can't compare situations in the past. Midori and Kristi both flutzed, something that was NOT punished in 6.0 times, so Mao would have kept her flutz and been fine. Also Kristi had issues with the 3sal, and I think she only landed one triple sal, her entire Senior career. Most of the time she'd double it..

If Yu-na was competiting in 6.0, she'd probably always "attempt" the triple loop and just double it a lot. Or, I think in Yu-na's case, she attempt it more and it would be a bit more consistent because Kim can do the 3loop in practice.

But the idea that Kristi would have attempted her 3sal under IJS. :lol:

miki88

Medalist
You can't compare situations in the past. Midori and Kristi both flutzed, something that was NOT punished in 6.0 times, so Mao would have kept her flutz and been fine. Also Kristi had issues with the 3sal, and I think she only landed one triple sal, her entire Senior career. Most of the time she'd double it..

If Yu-na was competiting in 6.0, she'd probably always "attempt" the triple loop and just double it a lot. Or, I think in Yu-na's case, she attempt it more and it would be a bit more consistent because Kim can do the 3loop in practice.

But the idea that Kristi would have attempted her 3sal under IJS. :lol:

Ok. But that just goes to show how comparing across different eras is hard because of the different rules.

tommyk75

Rinkside
I know Kristi landed the salchow more than once (at least twice from my memory: the nationals before her Olympic win and one time before when she was wearing a turquoise dress). Also, did Midori really flutz? I've never heard that before...

FlattFan

Match Penalty

What gives you the idea that Midori flutzed? She had the deep outside edge going into the jump. Watch again.
If anything, she slightly lip earlier in her career, but appeared to fix it later.