Did Mirai have a mentor this year? | Golden Skate

Did Mirai have a mentor this year?

Moxie

On the Ice
I know Ashley had Tara, Rachael had Dorothy Hamill.
Did Mirai have one? Or was she too far down the world standings, etc...

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I think Kristi Yamaguchi is her official mentor, while Evan taught her to drive and probably serves as an unofficial mentor to her. She's got the bases covered in terms of having Olympic champs as mentors. :biggrin:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Kristi Yamaguchi is her official mentor, while Evan taught her to drive and probably serves as an unofficial mentor to her. She's got the bases covered in terms of having Olympic champs as mentors. :biggrin:

I love how Mirai and Evan are friends, they are just so adorable! Apparently Evan thinks she's incredibly talented (which she obviously is) and feisty. Mirai said she wanted a fast car because it fits her personality, she is just too cute. I can't wait to see what her programs for next year will be - I think we will finally see Mirai do two sophisticated programs and phase out the cutesy. I think she would do great with a tango or some other dramatic music.

Moxie

On the Ice

Really? I didn't know about Kristi. It's not coming up in any google search, but it certainly makes sense due to the geography.
And I agree about Evan. It probably did her a world of good even just to see him training. Likewise with Christina Gao and Yuna.
I wonder how Mirai will handle being the big fish next year.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Really? I didn't know about Kristi. It's not coming up in any google search, but it certainly makes sense due to the geography.
And I agree about Evan. It probably did her a world of good even just to see him training. Likewise with Christina Gao and Yuna.
I wonder how Mirai will handle being the big fish next year.

I could be wrong about Kristi being Mirai's official mentor (if this mentoring thing is even official at all). But she has definitely spent time with Mirai and given her advice:

http://allday.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/02/23/2210027.aspx

And we know they hung out before (they went to Evan's taping of a talkshow together). Also, doesn't Kristi just look like she could be Mirai's slightly older sister? They should go around telling people they're siblings. :laugh:

As for Mirai being big fish, don't forget she won US nationals two years ago! She's already been the big fish, then the big fish hobbled by a growth spurt, and now the big fish who made the comeback. She's already had the career roller coaster. I'm sure there's little that can faze her now.

Last edited:

zizi31

Rinkside
I love how Mirai and Evan are friends, they are just so adorable! Apparently Evan thinks she's incredibly talented (which she obviously is) and feisty. Mirai said she wanted a fast car because it fits her personality, she is just too cute. I can't wait to see what her programs for next year will be - I think we will finally see Mirai do two sophisticated programs and phase out the cutesy. I think she would do great with a tango or some other dramatic music.

I agree with you on phasing out of the cutesy, but at the same time she should pick something age-appropriate that she's capable of interpreting. Expression-wise, I don't think she was ready for Carmen. Carmen is supposed to be fiery and passionate and a bit sexual. I don't think that Mirai was able to bring that across, so the music was just background. I wonder why Frank picked Carmen for her; he should have known that it would just make her appear immature and too young.

Moxie

On the Ice
And we know they hung out before (they went to Evan's taping of a talkshow together). Also, doesn't Kristi just look like she could be Mirai's slightly older sister? They should go around telling people they're siblings. :laugh:

As for Mirai being big fish, don't forget she won US nationals two years ago! She's already been the big fish, then the big fish hobbled by a growth spurt, and now the big fish who made the comeback. She's already had the career roller coaster. I'm sure there's little that can faze her now.

Yeah, they should. heh
And I meant big fish relatively. Evan was the biggest fish at the rink this year. She's been training in his shadow. The motivation is different when it's just you, and you have to push yourself and... I am having trouble explaining myself. :(

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah, they should. heh
And I meant big fish relatively. Evan was the biggest fish at the rink this year. She's been training in his shadow. The motivation is different when it's just you, and you have to push yourself and... I am having trouble explaining myself. :(

This is why I want Patrick Chan to come to Frank Carol, then HE can be the big fish and Mirai can be his just-as-awesome sidekick girlfriend and it will be perfect :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
This is why I want Patrick Chan to come to Frank Carol, then HE can be the big fish and Mirai can be his just-as-awesome sidekick girlfriend and it will be perfect :laugh:

I don't think Patrick would last very long with Carroll and have a feeling he is gonna take the Mao route of coaching himself."

Mirai came in 4th in Vancouver and most think Patrick was a very gifted 5th.
I don't see Patrick as a bigger fish than Mirai right now and don't think he has her potential either.

Mirai appears to have it all and Patrick is still looking for a dependable 3A. And a coach :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Patrick would last very long with Carroll and have a feeling he is gonna take the Mao route of coaching himself."

Mirai came in 4th in Vancouver and most think Patrick was a very gifted 5th.
I don't see Patrick as a bigger fish than Mirai right now and don't think he has her potential either.

Mirai appears to have it all and Patrick is still looking for a dependable 3A. And a coach :)

Patrick is also the reigning World Silver Medalist and the best skater in Canada. IMO Mirai is the best skater in America now but she's not US champ and in the US, the ladies title seems to go to someone different every year. I think that is a big deal. I really hope he doesn't end up coaching himself....that never turns out well. And Carroll might actually teach Chan how to hold his tongue!

Moxie

On the Ice

:no: Oh no. :no:
I don't want Mr. "I've been watching other competitors and laughing at their choreography/I think there are going to be more skaters like me in the future/yeah I fixed the 3A now watch me fall out of a 2A in a gala/aren't I great" anywhere near Mirai. Ever. :sheesh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Patrick is also the reigning World Silver Medalist. I think that is a big deal. I really hope he doesn't end up coaching himself....that never turns out well. And Carroll might actually teach Chan how to hold his tongue!

If Patrick would leave his coach a few months before the Olympics he obviously thinks he can do it on his own with a little help from others.
Carroll is known these days for "my way or the highway" and Patrick does not seem ready for that type of discipline.

If you listen to what comes out of his mouth it would seem his ego has outstripped his talent at this point in his career.
I just have a hunch he wants to do things the way Mao has been doing them - some choreo help and advice but it does not appear that he is willing to let a strong figure run his training. Maybe that will change but if he did not need a strong coach before Vancouver why would he want one now?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am not sure if Kristi is "officially" mentoring Mirari, but she does seem to be unofficially. At least. That is nice, because they are both such bright, happy people, both have great technique, both are California girls and Japanese-Americans.

I don't think Mirai will be quite mature enough for a tango..her youth and innocence is part of her charm. Something with some attitude, but mature, maybe the four seasons by Vivaldi...there are some pieces I want her to skate to I just can't think of them right now.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Oh no. :no:
I don't want Mr. "I've been watching other competitors and laughing at their choreography/I think there are going to be more skaters like me in the future/yeah I fixed the 3A now watch me fall out of a 2A in a gala/aren't I great" anywhere near Mirai. Ever. :sheesh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: ITA!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I don't think Mirai has to do a mature and sensual program to improve her PCS (nor do I think she's up to it at this point). PCS is made up of two main considerations: reputation points, then speed and power. The rep points she's earned with her 4th place Olympic finish, the speed and power she's got in spades. With Carmen, the goal, it seems, was to let Mirai skate to something uptempo and energetic that doesn't automatically cast her as a junior. Of course, the problem is that Carmen comes with tons of baggage and existing characterizations. Her team needs to find her something less clichéd, but similarly energetic without being associated with children (so stay away from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Mirai has to do a mature and sensual program to improve her PCS (nor do I think she's up to it at this point). PCS is made up of two main considerations: reputation points, then speed and power. The rep points she's earned with her 4th place Olympic finish, the speed and power she's got in spades. With Carmen, the goal, it seems, was to let Mirai skate to something uptempo and energetic that doesn't automatically cast her as a junior. Of course, the problem is that Carmen comes with tons of baggage and existing characterizations. Her team needs to find her something less clichéd, but similarly energetic without being associated with children (so stay away from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack).

I actually thought her Pirates SP was a nice transition program. It was elegant and mature without being sensual, so it was very age appropriate but definitely not junior-ish. I think Mirai could handle a sophisticated program next year, she'll be 17 and she finally looks her age now. Yuna did "Tango De Roxanne" at 15 and it seemed age appropriate.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Patrick would leave his coach a few months before the Olympics he obviously thinks he can do it on his own with a little help from others.
Carroll is known these days for "my way or the highway" and Patrick does not seem ready for that type of discipline.

If you listen to what comes out of his mouth it would seem his ego has outstripped his talent at this point in his career.
I just have a hunch he wants to do things the way Mao has been doing them - some choreo help and advice but it does not appear that he is willing to let a strong figure run his training. Maybe that will change but if he did not need a strong coach before Vancouver why would he want one now?

Aw, I feel bad for Patrick, he seems like a good kid and Don Laws always talked about how he was such a hard and good worker. And I think he realizes he needs a coach. Maybe he should go to Mishin or someone else in Russia because Plushenko seems to have the ability to land all his jumps no matter how crooked and messed up they look in the air :agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I actually thought her Pirates SP was a nice transition program. It was elegant and mature without being sensual, so it was very age appropriate but definitely not junior-ish. I think Mirai could handle a sophisticated program next year, she'll be 17 and she finally looks her age now. Yuna did "Tango De Roxanne" at 15 and it seemed age appropriate.

I agree that "Pirates" was actually a really good choice for her. Most of the music cuts were rarely used ones that I don't think most people knew as from "pirates" until they were told. Her dress was very elegant too IMO. The end part with the footwork was fast and fun and let her show off her charming personality. Rondo Capricciso might be a nice choice for next season, and I was listening to the Emma soundtrack yesterday and some of the music from that would be perfect.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Rondo Capriccio is such a nice piece of music, I think that would suit Mirai too :biggrin: . I also think Pachelbel's Cannon in D would be nice for her, and I sort of think if she ever did a west side story program she could totally pull it off and be adorable.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I agree with you on phasing out of the cutesy, but at the same time she should pick something age-appropriate that she's capable of interpreting. Expression-wise, I don't think she was ready for Carmen. Carmen is supposed to be fiery and passionate and a bit sexual. I don't think that Mirai was able to bring that across, so the music was just background. I wonder why Frank picked Carmen for her; he should have known that it would just make her appear immature and too young.

I think Mirai had a great programme to the music of Carmen, which really seemed to suit her personality. I feel that a skater can either try to be a certain character or interpret the music. In my opinion both selections are equally good.