The Best Male Ice Dancer of All Time | Golden Skate

The Best Male Ice Dancer of All Time

The Best Male Ice Dancer of All Time

• Total voters

Big Deal

Final Flight
Who is the Best male ice dancer of all time?

Watching Ice Dance since the early 70s, those name came into my mind.
There are surprisingly few really good one's like these.
My pick is Maxim Staviski because of his perfect technique and unbeatable passion.

If creativity comes first, it is Dean, but this post is not about that. criteria.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Christopher Dean, Gorsha Sur, Victor Kraatz, and Ben Agosto all get my vote. Too bad only 2 of the 4 were on the poll.

katha

On the Ice
Christopher Dean is in a league of his own IMO. Platov was one of the best as well IMO. Really underrated because Grishuk was the more extroverted of the pair, but he was a great technician who could perform to all kinds of music. Staviski was brilliant. Always asked myself what Vanagas could have achieved with a stronger partner. I liked D&V, but it was sometimes obvious even to me that he was holding back so she could keep up with him.

Wicked

Final Flight
I think Ben Agosto has to be on the poll, but probably Christopher Dean is the winner.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's an interesting question. There has been a view, not supported by the current judging system, that male ice dancers are just a backdrop for the female ice dancers. It is this sort of view that got Fusar Poli / Margaglio a World Championship and Grushina/ Goncharov an Olympic bronze medal. The male of the pair only had to meet some minimum (and ill defined standard); it was the female that was the star. I've never liked that view of things. I love male dancers, both on the stage (Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly) and on the ice.

Consequently, one thing I've been thrilled about in the IJS is the insistence that the partners both have the ability to do the elements in step sequences.

But my answer is still Christopher Dean. Both Charlie and Scott are amazing though!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I always noticed Margaglio was inferior to his partner. I remember when he fell at the (02?) Olympics in the FD, almost flat on his face, in the middle of footwork. I never noticed Goncharov's inferiority, but I believe it. I just never watched them (G&G) that closely.. they weren't that interesting.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Definitely Christopher Dean. But again, I must note my personal favorites: Ben Agosto and Scott Moir.

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
How to choose? Dean, Ponomarenko, and Staviyski based on full careers, but Scott Moir is my choice out of the current crop of male dancers.