Happy Veterans Day!!! | Golden Skate

Happy Veterans Day!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Thank you to all the brave men and women who served our country, and those who are serving today!!! :)

heyang

Record Breaker
Can't remember the name of the song - it was the one written after 9/11 about people calling home and being asked 'Daddy, when are you coming home?' and the response being 'I'm already home because I'm all around'. Anyway, WPLJ played a special mix of the song in honor of the Veterans. They cut in dialogue of the mother's, girlfriend's, fiancee's, sisters and children of the soldiers in Iraq talking about how much they miss these men and how they would welcome them back. I had to reapply my eye makeup after that song finished.

Also, watched Dateline last night where they interviewed 2 soldiers and their wives. These men were honorably discharged from the armed services after serving in Iraq. They suffered life changing injuries. One man was especially moving. He still has shrapnel in his head; it couldn't be removed without risk of greater brain damage. Now, he can't do so many things that he used to be able to do and he has to be extra cautious about hitting his head since the shrapnel could move and kill him. What so moving was that he still envisions a future where he will be able to do everything that he was able to do before the injury. His wife, who admitted to not being as much as an optimist, said that she doesn't ever see him being the same as before, but that he will be the best that he can be. She said it's been difficult for them both to adjust since she has to do so much more that he used to do. That's when he broke down and said that 'I'm a burden to her' and she said 'No, you're not.' These are the veterans that the public tends to forget - me included.

So, thanks to all the veterans and soldiers for all your service.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's by Lonestar a country western group...

"The first thing that came to his mind:
I'M ALREADY THERE! Take a look around! I'm the sunshine in your hair, I'm the shadow on the ground. I'm the whisper in the wind. I'm your imaginary friend... oh I'm already there."