World's Prediction Thread | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World's Prediction Thread

jBroxton7001

Rinkside
I'm just pumped up for men's event.
Sorry for Plush's injury, but he just made it much more interesting.

Men:

1. Jeremy
2. Joubert
3. Oda

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh I want Takahashi to win this and all, although I was hoping for him to win also next year in his country, but If Kozuka wins somehow magically you will see an hysterical happy girl on tv jumping on ice and hugging him!:laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Me too. Can't bear another hit just one month after the Olympics.

Yeah. I actually think that's why Verner pulled out. He said he "wasn't in form" but he landed a gorgeous quad in Vancouver (before he imploded the rest of the program) so I tend to think he was referring to his mental form, the kind of reasoning that "If I go to worlds I will likely bomb again and get badly beaten by my younger teammate who does not have a quad....for the 4th time this season". Yeah. I'm just hoping at least one of the headcases performs well here.

aurora100

Final Flight
I just did that to make you happy, and you go and change your mind on me....:biggrin: I can't swallow the Bradley Kool-AId, though. And Brezina winning a worlds medal that eluded Verner for so long would be cruel to the older Czech skater.

Other predictions.....

1. If Virtue/Moir win worlds, they'll retire. And I will cry.

2. If Chan scores about 0.00, someone will complain he was overscored.

3. Kim will land three triple axels, a quad, grow to 50 feet tall, be nicknamed "Kimzilla" by an overzealous reporter, take over the world, bring world peace, win an Oscar and at least three Nobel Prizes (in economics, literature and peace, of course). Then she'll retire on a spaceship hovering earth so as to avoid the nuttily obsessed media.

.... or maybe not

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Very very funny on Kim. I agree with you on 1 and 2 too. It would be a shame if V/M retires, but what can we do? It would seem logical.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yeah. I actually think that's why Verner pulled out. He said he "wasn't in form" but he landed a gorgeous quad in Vancouver (before he imploded the rest of the program) so I tend to think he was referring to his mental form, the kind of reasoning that "If I go to worlds I will likely bomb again and get badly beaten by my younger teammate who does not have a quad....for the 4th time this season". Yeah. I'm just hoping at least one of the headcases performs well here.

Scott Hamilton said Brezina planned to do one after his triple axel in the LP but instead did a triple flip or something. Will Brezina ever actually pull the trigger on it?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton said Brezina planned to do one after his triple axel in the LP but instead did a triple flip or something. Will Brezina ever actually pull the trigger on it?

I think he will here, he has nothing to lose and has an outside shot at a medal.

louieb2009

Rinkside
Men:
1. Takahashi
2. Abbott
3. Chan
4. Oda
5. Joubert
6. Kozuka
7. Breznia
8. Rippon
9. Amodio
10. Reynolds

Ladies:
1. Kim
2. Nagasu
3. Asada
4. Suzuki
5. Ando
6. Flatt
7. Lepisto
8. Kostner
9. Leonova
10. Makarova

Pairs:
1. Pang/Tong
2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
3. Savchennko/Szolkowy
4. Zhang/Zhang
5. Dube/Davison
6. Langlois/Hay
7. Mukhortova/Trankov
8. Bazarova/Larinov
9. Evora/Ladwig
10. Denney/Barrett

Dance:
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Davis/White
3. Faiella/Scali
4. Pechalat/Bourzat
5. Kerr/Kerr
6. Khoklova/Novitski
7. Samuelson/Bates
8. Zaretsky/Zaretsky
9. Cappellini/Lanotte
10. Bobrova/Sloviev

Last edited:

mystichaze

On the Ice
Pairs
1. Pang-Tong
2. Savchenko-Szolkowy
3. Kavaguti-Smirnov
4. Zhangs
5. Mukhortova-Trankov

Men
1. Takahashi
2. Chan
3. Abbott
4. Joubert
5. Oda

Dance
1. Virtue-Moir
2. Davis-White
3. Faiella-Scali
4. Pechalat-Bourzat
5. Khoklova-Novitski

Ladies
1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Lepisto
4. Nagasu
5. Ando

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Men
Takahashi (If he is clean, nobody beats him)
Chan (could actually win if he lands his jumps. His skating is awesome)
Oda (I believed in him at olympics too, but there is always something about him :scratch: )

Abbott will be too nervous and unfocused again :cry:

Surprises(in a good way); Reynolds and Schulteiss :thumbsup:

Ladies
Kim (she is simply the best)
Ando
Asada
Surprises; Meier and Hecken :clap:

Pairs

S/S (They will pull it together this time … revenge!)
Pang/Tong
K/S

Surprises; Langlois/Hay and James/Bonheur :love:

Dance
V/M
D/W
F/S

No surprises.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Men
Takahashi
Chan
Abbott

Ladies
Kim
Asada
Nagasu

Pairs
Pang/Tong
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Dube/Davison

Dance
Davis/White
Virtue/Moir
Faiella/Scali

hongligl

Final Flight
Pair:
D/D
S/S
Z/Z
Maybe a record in fs history? all pairs with the same initial for both partners, and in alphabetic order. Just kidding:)

My predictions:

Pair:
P/T
S/S
Z/Z

Ladies
Yu-Na
Mao
Mirai
I don't mind these three in any order

Man:
Jeremy Abbotte
Dai
Oda

Dance:
V/M
D/W
Italians

Phoenix347

Final Flight
kinda late for predictions but I don't really do ice dancing or pairs (but I do watch) so here's just men and ladies predictions:

I think it's going to be a historic almost complete Japanese sweep of the medals at this world championship:

Men:

1. Takahashi
2. Oda
3. Kozuka

I think Takahashi will be the champ unless he tries to go for a quad flip. He does, all bets are off.

Ladies:

1. Nagasu
2. Asada
3. Ando

I can't imagine how Kim can really get up for this competition. She just won the top prize in figure skating so it has to be really hard to get motivated for Torino. And it's gonna be a break out competition for Mirai!

wallylutz

Medalist
kinda late for predictions but I don't really do ice dancing or pairs (but I do watch) so here's just men and ladies predictions:

I think it's going to be a historic almost complete Japanese sweep of the medals at this world championship:

Men:

1. Takahashi
2. Oda
3. Kozuka

I think Takahashi will be the champ unless he tries to go for a quad flip. He does, all bets are off.

Ladies:

1. Nagasu
2. Asada
3. Ando

I can't imagine how Kim can really get up for this competition. She just won the top prize in figure skating so it has to be really hard to get motivated for Torino. And it's gonna be a break out competition for Mirai!

An All-Japanese podium for both men and ladies? I don't know about that, this seems highly improbable given the assumption that somehow Kim will bomb pretty badly for this to happen and several other men will have to bomb too for Kozuka to get a medal.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An All-Japanese podium for both men and ladies? I don't know about that, this seems highly improbable given the assumption that somehow Kim will bomb pretty badly for this to happen and several other men will have to bomb too for Kozuka to get a medal.

Mirai is American.

treeloving

Medalist

Men:

1. Takahashi
2. Oda
3. Kozuka

Ladies:

1. Nagasu
2. Asada
3. Ando

Japanese National with Marai as a guest? :laugh:

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Not entirely correct, Nagasu is a Japanese name and Mirai Nagasu also holds Japanese citizenship and is a dual citizen, hence I was factually correct to lump her with the other 5 skaters.

But Mirai does not skate for Japan, so I'm not comfortable w/ people calling her Japanese skater.

Nadia01

Final Flight

Men:

1. Takahashi
2. Oda
3. Kozuka

Ladies:

1. Nagasu
2. Asada
3. Ando

Alas, Oda's already out.

As for Mirai beating Asada, I highly doubt it. Mao is mad and really hungry.

I also doubt Yuna's going to finish off-podium.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Alas, Oda's already out.

As for Mirai beating Asada, I highly doubt it. Mao is mad and really hungry.

I also doubt Yuna's going to finish off-podium.

Well, Mirai was only a few points behind Mao in the LP at the Olympics, but Mao also made two pretty major boo-boos so I tend to think unless Mao skates like she did at TEB or COR, she will likely beat Mirai. I'm also not sure Mirai will finish on the podium, I really want her to and I think she deserves to, but I have to wonder if she'll get edge calls and UR calls this time around....

Nadia01

Final Flight
Well, Mirai was only a few points behind Mao in the LP at the Olympics, but Mao also made two pretty major boo-boos so I tend to think unless Mao skates like she did at TEB or COR, she will likely beat Mirai. I'm also not sure Mirai will finish on the podium, I really want her to and I think she deserves to, but I have to wonder if she'll get edge calls and UR calls this time around....

I was wondering about how strict the tech panel is going to be this time myself. They were pretty lenient.