World's Prediction Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World's Prediction Thread

Layfan

Record Breaker
After his GPF LP, I've had my doubts about Dai's consistency. That one program made him drop from 1st in the SP to 5th overall. Plus if he goes for the quad and falls again that will hurt him. With men it's also unpredictable because I never expected Oda and Kozuka to finish as low as 7th and 8th at the Olympics but they did and that was with both of them skating pretty well.

I'm also wondering how plausible people think Bradley, Contesti, and Verner making the top 10 is? I mean, I know they are more than capable, and I just hope they can redeem themselves after poor showings at the Olympics and for Ryan, his SP at nationals. I'm not expecting anything fantastic out of these men at worlds but finishing 8th or 10th would definitely end the season on a higher note than their abysmal finishes at the Olympics, and give them some more confidence heading into next season (for Contesti and Verner). I'm just a little worried about PCS though, they both got really low PCS at the Olympics and I don't really know why. Do PCS go down when you bomb a program like they did?

Didn't Verner splat during his footwork? Or was that someone else? I dunno, when you wipe the floor on your footwork I imagine that takes away from the performance a bit ... :indiff:

I'm going back to my original plan, which is to ignore Verner and Kostner at worlds. I promised myself I'd take a fridgebreak during their skates at the Olympics but I couldn't help myself watching and of course, it was painful. Of course, I wish them all the best but better for my nerves to pretend they don't exist. It'll be stressful enough watching Jeremy and Ryan.
But let me know how Verner does! :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Didn't Verner splat during his footwork? Or was that someone else? I dunno, when you wipe the floor on your footwork I imagine that takes away from the performance a bit ... :indiff:

I'm going back to my original plan, which is to ignore Verner and Kostner at worlds. I promised myself I'd take a fridgebreak during their skates at the Olympics but I couldn't help myself watching and of course, it was painful. Of course, I wish them all the best but better for my nerves to pretend they don't exist. It'll be stressful enough watching Jeremy and Ryan.
But let me know how Verner does! :)

Yeah, he did, so he got level 1 for that footwork sequence with bad GOE. It is very unusual for Tomas to fall on footwork, he has great edge quality, the popping of jumps is nothing new but the splat on the footwork is. He really needs to make sure he goes into his 3a with speed though, when he does, his 3a is beautiful, but recently he's been stalking it with no speed and pop, pop, pop. This season has been disappointing for him but he at least seems to be going for most of his jumps now. I think he can redeem himself with the pressure of the Olympics off and Michal in the limelight.

I was more surprised with Contesti though, he did worse in the FS at the Olympics than Verner. He didn't do any combinations and badly messed up both of his 3a even though he has one of the best 3a out there. Seemed like his heart really was not in it, maybe he was upset because at Europeans he had 2 clean programs and was only 5th. He is so fun to watch I hope he brings it here!

Ryan. Um yeah all too often he lands the quads and then makes stupid mistakes. All that talent! Please Ryan, make this last performance a good one!

yangjie

On the Ice
men

1 takahashi
2 abott
3 plushenko

ladies

1 yu-na
2 miki
3 mao

pair

1 pang/tong
2 s/s
3 k/s

dance

1 v/m
2m/w
3 f/m

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'll do top 3 for all disciplines, I guess.. top 5 seems too hard lol

Men

1) Plushenko.. with no Lysacek, I have to give it to him!
2) Takahashi - COULD beat Plushenko
3) Oda - Since he won't have a broken lace this time (at least I hope not!), I can see him here although I would rather have Chan or Bradley

Women

1) Kim - no one's catching her
2) Mao
3) Mirai :)

Pairs

1) Savchenko and Szolkowy - they'll get it back together
2) Pang and Tong - riding an Olympic silver high
3) Kavaguti and Smirnov - redeeming themselves to the Russian Fed?

Dance

1) Virtue and Moir
2) Davis and White
3) Faiella and Scali

silverlake22

Record Breaker
No more Joannie, new predictions!

Ladies:

1.) Yuna
2.) Mirai :rock:
3.) Mao
4.) Miki
5.) Rachael
6.) Carolina
7.) Akiko
8.) Laura
9.) Alena
10.) Ksenia/Kiira/Elene/Kwak :love:

aurora100

Final Flight
No more Joannie, new predictions!

Ladies:

1.) Yuna
2.) Mirai :rock:
3.) Mao
4.) Miki
5.) Rachael
6.) Carolina
7.) Akiko
8.) Laura
9.) Alena
10.) Ksenia/Kiira/Elene/Kwak :love:

Definite possibility. Mirai can and I think will shoot to the top (up to Yuna that is).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Ladies
Yu-Na will win hands down
Mao Asada
Mirai Nagasu

Men
Chan
Plushenko
Takahashi

Quadless all around skaters have won worlds in 2008 and 2009 and in 2010 Olympics. Judges are sending messages!

doug_log

On the Ice
Plushenko is going? In the words of another Platinum medalist, "WHHHHYYYYYYYYYY?!"

Men's
1. Plushenko
2. Takahashi
3. Abbott

Women's
1. Kim
2. Mao
3. Ando/Lepisto

Pairs
1. The Chinese (P/T)
2. The Russians
3. The Germans

Dance
1. Canada
2. USA
3. Italia

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Ladies Predictions:
1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Ando (is she going? If not, probably Kostner)

Mens:
1. Plushenko (without Evan, he's guaranteed it)
2. Takahashi
3. Oda or Chan

Pairs:
1. Germans
2. Chinese
3. Russians

Dance:
1. Virtue/ Moir
2. Davis/ White
3. Italians

louieb2009

Rinkside
Men:
1. Takahashi
2. Plushenko
3. Chan

Ladies:
1. Kim
2. Nagasu
3. Asada

Pairs:
1. Pang/Tong
2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
3. Savchenko/Szolkowy

Dance:
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Davis/White
3. Faiella/Scali

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Men:
1. Plushenko
2. Takahashi
3. Joubert

Ladies:
1. Asada
2. Kim
3. Flatt

Pairs:
1. Kavaguti/Smirnov
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong

Dance:
1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Faiella/Scali

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Men:
1. Plushenko
2. Takahashi
3. Joubert

Ladies:
1. Asada
2. Kim
3. Flatt

Pairs:
1. Kavaguti/Smirnov
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong

Dance:
1. Davis/White
2. Virtue/Moir
3. Faiella/Scali

Does anyone really think Asada has a chance of winning? I feel like unless Yuna has a meltdown, Yuna will win. I also don't really see Flatt being above Ando but who knows.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I do think Flatt has a decent chance to surpass her. At Vancouver, Miki looked like fizzled-out version of 2007 world champion.

True. I just feel like Miki always gets pretty good PCS whether she deserves them or not are Rachael may be sacrificed a little bit in her PCS, though she does have the TES to make up for it.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Men
1. Plushenko
2. Takahashi (All he has to do is earn it)
3. Joubert
4. Oda
5. Chan
6. Kozuka
7. Abbott
8. Brezina
9. Rippon
10. Amodio

Ladies
1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Ando
4. Nagasu
5. Lepisto
6. Suzuki
7. Flatt
8. Leonova
9. Makarova
10. Meier

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Kawaguchi/Smirnov
3. Pang/Tong
4. Zhang/Zhang
5. Dube/Davison
6. Muhrktova/Trankov
7. Langlois/Hay
8. Denney/Barrett
9. Evora/Ladwig
10. Bazarova/Larionov

Dance
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Davis/White
3. Faeilla/Scali
4. Khoklova/Novitski
5. Kerr/Kerr
6. Pechalat/Bourzat
7. Zaretski/Zaretski
8. Samuelson/Bates
9. Cappellini/Lanotte
10. Crone/Poirier

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Men
1. Plushenko
2. Takahashi (All he has to do is earn it)
3. Joubert
4. Oda
5. Chan
6. Kozuka
7. Abbott
8. Brezina
9. Rippon
10. Amodio

Ladies
1. Kim
2. Asada
3. Ando
4. Nagasu
5. Lepisto
6. Suzuki
7. Flatt
8. Leonova
9. Makarova
10. Meier

I find your predictions intriguing. Do you really think Jeremy will be as far down as 7th? What makes you think that after the season he's had, Joubert will do enough to make the podium? Why is Chan as far down as 5th when Lysacek, Weir, and Lambiel are all not going to be there? How come Contesti isn't on the list?

As for the ladies, do you really think Ando after her super boring Olympics performances will beat Nagasu, Flatt, Lepisto, and Suzuki? Do you really think Lepisto the queen of double jumps will have the SOHL again to finish 5th? Why do you put Suzuki ahead of Flatt given her technically weak SP? Did you see Meier's FS at the Olympics, it was awful, how come she's on the list and Carolina isn't?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Easy answers first.

1. I have no idea if Kostner's competing. I read somewhere (here, probably) that she's giving up her spot to Marchei. That, and I geniunely don't see her being a contender anymore.

2. Chan's in fifth because I don't think he has enough mileage on his program. The triple axel buggaboo reared it's head again after his injury and the program is so difficult that I don't anticipate him improving it enough. My hope is that he keeps his long program for next season, actually, and work on improving the jumps (including that mythical quad)

3. Joubert gave his best performance ever after his poor Turin performance. And while he's obviously not the skater he once was (COP gerrymandering/injuries), I wouldn't be surprised to see him dig deep and pull something off. Despite the fact that he's my least favourite medal winner this quad, I'm rather rooting for him now.

4. I wanted to put Contesti on the list, but couldn't figure out who to drop. The most obvious candidate would be Amodio, but I think Amodio has a leg-up in that (a) he's a good performer/competitor (winning Nationals and the French Masters event this year; his Skate America long program, where he so clearly shrugs off a mistake and continues skating. A rare skill) and (b) he won't be as tired - he's the only major European skater who skipped Euros. For some skaters, it's been a very long season (Denis Ten). In general, I don't have a good read on Contesti as a competitor.

5. Jeremy... Well, 7th would be his best placement at worlds. That alone should give you the reason I'm not predicting him much higher. But again, I think he peaked too early with Nationals and the pressure to maintain three spots will get to him.

6. Ando... her, I don't get. Every time I think I start to like her, she goes and bores me. But I think she'll be more savvy regarding COP (aka, no silly 3-3s that are so obviously underrotated) and make up some points.

7. I have a little crush on Meier.

8. Lepisto.... something about her ferocity at the Olympic error (the music one) got to me - I can see that moment and skate unlocking her as a skater - that attack. She also gets good GOES (her 3t+3t got 1.8!) when she does well. That and her huge PCS

9. Suzuki.... I just want her to continue this dream season, and I think she can. Vs Flatt? Well, they both got UR calls at the Olympics, but despite Flatt's technical advantage, she still lost the LP to Suzuki.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ I enjoyed reading that :laugh:. As for Contesti, I thought he was a pretty consistent performer but he majorly bombed at the Olympics and did not attempt even 1 combination in his FS and had axel trouble, and his score in the LP was lower than Verner's even though Tomas popped like 3 jumps and fell on his footwork so idk. Contesti's PCS aren't that great but he was 5th at Euros and 5th at Worlds last year so I think he has a good shot at the top 10. Speaking of Tomas I have no idea what he will do here - he is more than capable of making the top 10 but he's almost as unpredictable as Kostner. He seems to do well at Worlds though, 4th last year and 4th in 2007, so hopefully he delivers and gets the monkey off his back and if he does he should get better PCS than he has been recently. Again though he's a question mark, I really hope he makes the top 10 but I'm not expecting anything. As for Jeremy, it seems like he either has the SOHL or bombs and doesn't really do anything in between, so I tend to think he will either be on the podium or out of/barely in the top 10.

As for Miki, her jumps have gotten way smaller because she is a toothpick now so I actually think now that she's skinny and pretty her PCS are high (how ironic). But yeah her 3-3 was far from rotated at the Olympics but last year at Worlds she did a really good LP so if she delivers here she could be ahead of Mirai and the others, especially if Mirai gets dinged for flutzy and URs. Rachael is boring but she always lands her jumps and Akiko doesn't so we shall see. I really hope Laura delivers but she and Meier really love those double jumps :laugh:.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah - essentially many of my picks are hopedictions (predictions influenced by hope), and realistically, even if I was able to remove "I hope this happens" from my thoughts, it's not like I'm gonna get a lot of these right. Ice is slippery! So as a result, if I can rationalize my hopes, than I'll predict it. For the most part. I just have a feeling that Chan won't medal. He'll come back strong this upcoming quad, though.