World's Prediction Thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

World's Prediction Thread

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
We well see how much energy Laura got from the olympics succee, or did she get pressure. Before LP she had decided "I don't care even if I sit all the triples "on my ***", I'll do them". Can I use that word? Well, that is what she really said. Well, it was not allowed, but I think you know what she said.
Those top tens are very much I think. I would like to see Elene and Kiira in the top ten, but they both need clean programs and maybe some unluck for other, which I do not wish, of course. Finland maybe hoping even 3 ladies next year, but I cannot see it realistic - but who knows. I hope Brian will do well this time, I feel so pity for him.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Yeah - essentially many of my picks are hopedictions (predictions influenced by hope), and realistically, even if I was able to remove "I hope this happens" from my thoughts, it's not like I'm gonna get a lot of these right. Ice is slippery! So as a result, if I can rationalize my hopes, than I'll predict it....

I love the word you have coined for us, "hopedictions". :laugh: I think that pretty well nails it for me. That's why I don't make predictions any more. Even my hopedictions would be fraught with conflict, because I have strong hopes for some skaters who will be competing with each other. My goose bumps are erupting already, and the event has not even started. :unsure:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
We well see how much energy Laura got from the olympics succee, or did she get pressure. Before LP she had decided "I don't care even if I sit all the triples "on my ***", I'll do them". Can I use that word? Well, that is what she really said. Well, it was not allowed, but I think you know what she said.
Those top tens are very much I think. I would like to see Elene and Kiira in the top ten, but they both need clean programs and maybe some unluck for other, which I do not wish, of course. Finland maybe hoping even 3 ladies next year, but I cannot see it realistic - but who knows. I hope Brian will do well this time, I feel so pity for him.

I agree. I also REALLY hope Tomas doesn't bomb. He doesn't need to do great, like 10th or even 12th would be fine, but please not 19th? I am very worried for him, his confidence seems to have taken a huge hit this season where Brezina keeps beating him and then he was sick and that can't make it easy either. I feel the same way about Brian, a medal is not important, but no 16th place finish please, he didn't even look like he was trying at his Olympics LP...he only did one combination. I like how Tomas and Brian are manly men in this sport full of so many small, androgenous men.

npavel

On the Ice
Kostner has always been in, she has never been a questionmark. She is in Torino and trains there.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Men
  1. Takahashi
  2. Joubert
  3. Oda
  4. Chan
  5. Abbott
  6. Ten
  7. Kozuka
  8. Brezina
  9. Rippon
  10. Contesti
Ladies
  1. Kim
  2. Asada
  3. Nagasu
  4. Ando
  5. Kostner
  6. Lepisto
  7. Flatt
  8. Suzuki
  9. Gedevanishvili
  10. Makarova
Pairs
  1. Pang & Tong
  2. Savchenko & Szolkowy
  3. Kavaguti & Smirnov
  4. Zhang & Zhang
  5. Mukhortova & Trankov
  6. Dube & Davison
  7. Langlois & Hay
  8. Danney & Barrett
  9. Dong & Wu
  10. Bazarova & Larionov
Dance
  1. Virtue & Moir
  2. Davis & White
  3. Faiella & Scalli
  4. Pechalat & Bourzat
  5. Khokhlova & Novitski
  6. Kerr & Kerr
  7. Samuelson & Bates
  8. Crone & Poirier
  9. Zaretski & Zaretski
  10. Cappellini & Lanotte

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Men
  1. Takahashi
  2. Joubert
  3. Oda
  4. Chan
  5. Abbott
  6. Ten
  7. Kozuka
  8. Brezina
  9. Rippon
  10. Contesti
Ladies
  1. Kim
  2. Asada
  3. Nagasu
  4. Ando
  5. Kostner
  6. Lepisto
  7. Flatt
  8. Suzuki
  9. Gedevanishvili
  10. Makarova

Joubert and Oda won't beat Chan unless they both have the SOHL, which for Joubert is unlikely (he always seems to make mistakes).

No Leonova in the top 10? I kind of doubt it. Also, I think it's too ambitious to assume Kostner, Lepisto, AND Gedevanishvilli will all skate very well, which they would need to in order to earn those placements. I don't see Flatt being as far down as 7th either, just because one of Kostner or Lepisto is bound to bomb and Rachael is almost always clean. As for Mirai, I really WANT her to be 3rd, but I think more realistically Miki will be 3rd and Mirai will be issued a UR or two which bumps her down to 4th or 5th place. I'm also going to predict that Suzuki will be higher than at least one of Kostner or Lepisto. I mean, Kostner has been bombing all season - she gave 2 decent performances at Europeans which was a splatfest and that combined with her PCS allowed her to win. I don't think she is going to just miraculously be able to pull 2 great skates out of nowhere. The same goes for Joubert.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Are we going to see another quadless World Champion?

Jeremy, Dai, Kozuka, Oda (?) all have quads planned, no?
I suppose if Chan wins, there would be another quadless champion

I don't see that as the biggest tragedy on the planet but I guess some do.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I doubt Oda- he has not done one at any point this season.
Kozuka got negative GOE on his at the olympics
Dai fell on his
Abbott fell on his.

Now someone may try one but landing it or doing it well is ver very iffy. This is why I am leaning toward a chan victory

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Contesti may bomb again. My new philosophy

1.) Chan
2.) Oda
3.) Brezina
4.) Kozuka
5.) Takahashi
6.) Abbott
7.) Rippon
8.) Bradley
9.) Amodio
10.) Joubert

I just did that to make you happy, and you go and change your mind on me....:biggrin: I can't swallow the Bradley Kool-AId, though. And Brezina winning a worlds medal that eluded Verner for so long would be cruel to the older Czech skater.

Other predictions.....

1. If Virtue/Moir win worlds, they'll retire. And I will cry.

2. If Chan scores about 0.00, someone will complain he was overscored.

3. Kim will land three triple axels, a quad, grow to 50 feet tall, be nicknamed "Kimzilla" by an overzealous reporter, take over the world, bring world peace, win an Oscar and at least three Nobel Prizes (in economics, literature and peace, of course). Then she'll retire on a spaceship hovering earth so as to avoid the nuttily obsessed media.

.... or maybe not

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I just did that to make you happy, and you go and change your mind on me....:biggrin: I can't swallow the Bradley Kool-AId, though. And Brezina winning a worlds medal that eluded Verner for so long would be cruel to the older Czech skater.

.... or maybe not

:laugh: I know, I know, but I just love the Czech men and I think if Brezina DID win a medal it would really push Verner to start delivering in competition and a good rivalry could develop. I mean, Verner could have medaled in 07 if he hadn't popped his 3a in the SP and could have medaled again last year if he didn't double those 2 easy jumps in his LP, it's his fault for being such a headcase. Michal medaling could be a good slap in the face for Verner to step it up - after Kostner lost to Marchei at nationals, she knew she had to do well at Europeans if she was going to get to go to the Olympics, and then she won the title. I also think in terms of ability and talent the two Czech guys are pretty evenly matched (but different in style).

I don't think Michal will get the PCS to medal but I don't think it's out of the question considering most of the competition is so unpredictable. GO MICHAL :love:!

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker

Other predictions.....

1. If Virtue/Moir win worlds, they'll retire. And I will cry.

2. If Chan scores about 0.00, someone will complain he was overscored.

3. Kim will land three triple axels, a quad, grow to 50 feet tall, be nicknamed "Kimzilla" by an overzealous reporter, take over the world, bring world peace, win an Oscar and at least three Nobel Prizes (in economics, literature and peace, of course). Then she'll retire on a spaceship hovering earth so as to avoid the nuttily obsessed media.

.... or maybe not

Teehee. And there will be a Japanese men's sweep, causing a Toyko stock market paralysis, followed by a crash and the final emergence of China as Asia's economic power.

ARipp42014

Medalist
I want a 2014 party!

1.) Michal
2.) Adam
3.) Javier

:laugh: tee hee. cuteness fest :agree:! Sorry Japan

Me too silverlake! But I think it can go either way...

Prediction A
1) Daisuke
2) Kozuka
3) Oda

Why do I smell a Japanese Sweep? It can happen!

Prediction B
1) Daisuke
2) Jeremy
3) P-Chiddy

This is more realistic but who knows.

Prediction C
1) Daisuke
2) Joubert
3) Jeremy

Could be a repeat of 2006 with Brian redeeming himself by skating to the Matrix... AGAIN!

Prediction D
1) P-Chiddy
2) Czech Buttle
3) ARipp

Let the Sochi Cycle begin! That's more for the dream thread!

As for everyone else....

Ladies
1) Yuna
2) Mao
3) Miki (even though I prefer Mirai)
Also US ladies will get 3 spots back with Mirai and Rachael finishing 4th and 5th respectfully!

Paris
1) Ali & Robin
2) Pang & Tong
3) Masha & Max (sorry Yuko & Sasha)

Ice Dance
1 & 2) Voir & Merlie (I don't care who wins, I'll be happy no matter what)
3) Rica & Massi (home ice advantage)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Are we going to see another quadless World Champion?
Who cares? Maybe The quadophiles will get off Evan's back.
Revised predictions for Men:

1. Patrick Chan
2.Daisuke Takahashi
3.Jeremey Abbott

more importantly, I predict nobody on the podium
will be clean.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Me too silverlake! But I think it can go either way...

Prediction A
1) Daisuke
2) Kozuka
3) Oda

Why do I smell a Japanese Sweep? It can happen!

Prediction B
1) Daisuke
2) Jeremy
3) P-Chiddy

This is more realistic but who knows.

Prediction C
1) Daisuke
2) Joubert
3) Jeremy

Could be a repeat of 2006 with Brian redeeming himself by skating to the Matrix... AGAIN!

Prediction D
1) P-Chiddy
2) Czech Buttle
3) ARipp

Let the Sochi Cycle begin! That's more for the dream thread!

As for everyone else....

Ladies
1) Yuna
2) Mao
3) Miki (even though I prefer Mirai)
Also US ladies will get 3 spots back with Mirai and Rachael finishing 4th and 5th respectfully!

I agree with a lot of this, I think Miki and Brian if they skate well will be on the podium over younger skaters who may arguably be better than them. I actually think the most likely men's podium will be:

1.) Daisuke
2.) P-Chiddy
3.) Nobu

I'm not going into this expecting Abbott or Joubert to deliver just so I don't end up sad....:cry:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm not going into this expecting Abbott or Joubert to deliver just so I don't end up sad....:cry:

Yes, the headcases have broken my heart all season ... I've been beaten into submission ... doing the expect the worst, hope for the best thing when it comes to Jeremy, Ryan and Brian :sheesh:.

For once, I have no headcases to root for among the women. I've never been a Carolina uber, though I like her okay.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Who cares? Maybe The quadophiles will get off Evan's back.

The fact would never get off Evan's back. It's going to be talked about every year. And it's going to be talked about four years later, too.;)

A men's champion without a quad is just so lame. At least try one would be different from playing safe.:p

Me too. Can't bear another hit just one month after the Olympics.