Evan and his DWTS Partner | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Evan and his DWTS Partner

Jhar55

Medalist
Thanks Dee was nice to rewatch. Watching Evan trying to do that flip over Ana he's just too tall to do that type of trick with her.
It's wonder he didn't break his neck....

I think Evan is applying too much foot muscle from skating and not enough foot muscle for dancing. That is why the complaint is often said about his not being able to use his feet properly. One can understand that when thinking about the skate itself. It does not allow a person to arch his feet. One can not rise to one's toes on skates. The best a skater can do is to get on his toe rake but that is not using the arch in his foot. Kristi probably had enough dance instruction while skating to know the difference.

Other than that, his Samba was typical Euro/N.American style of dancing on the upbeat and not on the down beat which is characteristic in Carribbean and Brazilian ballroom dances. (The Tango is NOT a Carribbean dance). Also his upper body did not resemble any kind of Samba movements. It was all basic waltz positions.

But he was not the only one. Most had the same problem. Of course, Nicole knew how to get down in a latin dance.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think Evan is applying too much foot muscle from skating and not enough foot muscle for dancing. That is why the complaint is often said about his not being able to use his feet properly. One can understand that when thinking about the skate itself. It does not allow a person to arch his feet. One can not rise to one's toes on skates. The best a skater can do is to get on his toe rake but that is not using the arch in his foot. Kristi probably had enough dance instruction while skating to know the difference.

Other than that, his Samba was typical Euro/N.American style of dancing on the upbeat and not on the down beat which is characteristic in Carribbean and Brazilian ballroom dances. (The Tango is NOT a Carribbean dance). Also his upper body did not resemble any kind of Samba movements. It was all basic waltz positions.

But he was not the only one. Most had the same problem. Of course, Nicole knew how to get down in a latin dance.

Thanks for your insights.
I thought Evan's Samba was a "pretty" enough looking dance - but agree with you that it did not look much like a samba.
Although Evan is doing very well I think his dances are starting to all look the same.

Question - if Evan returns to competitive skating will this dance experience be beneficial to his skating?

His critics will never admit this but Evan the skater has a very good line. We see it easily in his dancing.
Being able to interpret rhythms is a different skill. (Oda and Brezina are good at this but imo lack Evan's line).

It would be nice if Evan could show more rhythmic expression/variation in his skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I would hope that Evan learns from this experience and that it translates to teh ice.

personally I think SOI is bad for his DWTS competition - but I'd rather he keep skating than focus everything on the dang 'reality' show.

Indeed, Tony is a good guy. It seems to be a skating-fan thing to pounce on celebrities almost in unison when they do not like the personality of the individual. I know little about her other than she bore 8 kids and has difficulties with her husband.

As to her dancing, I think she tried her best, but it just wasn't good enough. Over and out.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Those were just Ordinals. If it were the nitlpicking CoP, Nicole and Dereck would have won. :think:

Derek could have done a better job on the choreo - thought their waltz was lacking something ......

I would have given them 5.9 for technical but only 5.7 for presentation.

I thought Ana did a splendid job presenting Evan as a Tango dancer.....

Nicole must be held to a higher standard - I call it the "Mario" syndrome......:)

ranjake

Final Flight
Nicole is technically excellent; but I find her sort of cold. Even in the 'soft' dances, there's no 'release' for me. I heartily disagree with CarrieAnn, by the way. I liked Kristi, Mya, Apolo, and Helio far more as ("best dancers ever on the show") than I do Nicole. Loved Evan, as usual! Hope he stays around.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nicole is technically excellent; but I find her sort of cold.
Yes, that is an excellent way of putting it......we just have to keep voting and making sure Evan wins. Much to my own surprise I will miss Pamela, bye bye Heather Biblow Does anyone know why I called her Heather B????

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's the role Pamela played on "The Nanny" I believe.

Lynn51, you're correct!!! This is just crazy...Ok here's what happened. I was talking to my female boss and made a comment that Pam Anderson sure looks different. She kind of looked at me like..............so.....who cares. A little while later someone else says did you watch DWTS?? Do you guys like Pam Anderson?? I made some comments and asked ....don't you think she looks different?? Again by boss raises an eyebrow and gives me that.... so what look. Later on we were talking about the Nanny and my female boss says .....remember Heather Biblow...I said yes....she said that's Pam Anderson...I kind of tilted my head and said...............huh. Then I was really confused....I said then who was on WKRP....my boss said....that was Loni Anderson.....I started laughing and said.....no wonder I thought Pam Anderson looked so different. :laugh: :laugh: