Lambiel retires from skating competition | Golden Skate

Lambiel retires from skating competition

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Former figure skating world champion and 2006 Olympic silver medallist Stephane Lambiel has confirmed his retirement from official competition, the International Skating Union (ISU) said on Tuesday.

More

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:
I knew he wouldn't stay, but this news still makes me cry.

My favorite 2 Gold Worlds medalist and Silver Oly medal, unfortunately he was plagued with injuries even when winning medals. The injuries just got the best of him, but we will see him in that ProAm in Foxwoods.

bibi24

Final Flight
Enjoy your life Stephane! Thanks for giving us so much great skating!

Good luck and be happy at whatever you do in the future :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Til the next time ;)

I'm pretty sceptical of all "retirements" now official or not. So many came out of retirement for Vancouver that i'm not sure these statements mean much any more! (not that i'm expecting Lambiel to come back)

Ant

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Gonna miss the guy.
It was a courageous effort to come back for the Olympics.
I wish he had medaled.
Damn those 2quad landings at FS.

Tesla

Final Flight
Til the next time ;)

I'm pretty sceptical of all "retirements" now official or not. So many came out of retirement for Vancouver that i'm not sure these statements mean much any more! (not that i'm expecting Lambiel to come back)

Ant

I thought the same thing, but I think this time it will stick because he'll be ineligible once he does "Thin Ice." Unless the ISU changes their mind.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think he means it this time.

Yes, I think he back only for the olympics. I hoped he would so worlds, but I think he is the type of skater who really needs a lot of motivation to
compete, and dispute the liklihood of him getting a medal in Torino--he dosent feel
motivated to do so. Good luck to him in whatever his future holds

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
In Stephane's Olympics SP, he used the double axel. In his FS, he still used only the double, not the triple, axel; the two quads he did in the FS both got negative GOE. I think Stephane knows how difficult the 3A is for him, and he has seen the writing on the wall. There is little point in his continuing to compete at the ISU-eligible level, as it would take an enormous amount of training for him to overcome his competition now. He has a large fanship, so I think he would have no trouble earning a living in shows, should he wish to do that.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm going to miss him but I knew this was for a short time. Glad he came back since Buttle left.

Ren

On the Ice
I only learned of him last year, but he has since then become one of my favorite skaters. I am glad he came back one last time. I don't think there is anyone right now who can spin like he does.

Audrey19

On the Ice
We all knew this was going to happen, but still... It's extremely sad to imagine that we will never again see his spark in competition.
Even with mistakes on the jumps, he was always among the very best, and he will always be. For me, he is the best men's skater I've ever seen. No one can match his artistry, his intricate, yet passionate programs and performances and, most of all, his amazing spins. He moved me very deeply several times - he is a true artist, and a true champion. He is the closest I've seen to the "complete package", as he excels at steps, spins, moves in the field, and art. Figure skating will desperately miss him.
Thank you Stephane, for all the great moments, in galas as well as in competition.
:love: :bow: :clap: :bow: :love:

shine

Record Breaker
We all knew this was going to happen, but still... It's extremely sad to imagine that we will never again see his spark in competition.
Even with mistakes on the jumps, he was always among the very best, and he will always be. For me, he is the best men's skater I've ever seen. No one can match his artistry, his intricate, yet passionate programs and performances and, most of all, his amazing spins. He moved me very deeply several times - he is a true artist, and a true champion. He is the closest I've seen to the "complete package", as he excels at steps, spins, moves in the field, and art. Figure skating will desperately miss him.
Thank you Stephane, for all the great moments, in galas as well as in competition.
:love: :bow: :clap: :bow: :love:
Thanks, beautifully put, and ITA.

I've loved him since seeing his Chocolat program in 2003. It's been incredible to witness a skater with his talent and passion grow and mature over the years. I think Stephane has spoiled me forever as far as men's skating is concerned. IMO no one skates with the combination of musicality, movement quality, freedom and spirit that he does on the ice. He's truly a dancer and an artist at heart, and with beautiful skating skills to boot. I can't put into the words the joy his skating has brought me. Every generation of two there would come a skater that will be remembered for doing something truly special and taking the sport to a different level. For me, he was THAT skater of this generation. I'm so grateful that we have all the memorable performances by him on video to watch over and over and over.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I, too, am going to miss Stephane....his dance and passion were the best!!! He always made me want to smoke after I saw him skate.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I, too, am going to miss Stephane....his dance and passion were the best!!! He always made me want to smoke after I saw him skate.

He was THAT good for you, huh? :cool:

I really thought the last time he retired was truly "it," but then he came back, but then I was disappointed in his Olys, kinda sad for Stephane and his fans. I almost can't say I believe he's retiring this time, I've got "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice ..." playing in my head. Even so I do tend to think he's not coming back this time. He's lost a lot of ground technically.