Fumie wants to continue, but needs to get a sponsor by the end of March | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Fumie wants to continue, but needs to get a sponsor by the end of March

Nadine

Record Breaker
You attack the message, not the messenger.

Back to Fumie, yeah she's not my favorite skater, but I do admire her longevity in the sport, as I do The King & Julia Sebestian. :)

Maybe she should take a leaf out of The King & Sasha Cohen's book, and take time off to make money doing shows, modeling, or whatever opportunities come to her on the side, coaching even. And with that money she can fund her own return to skating, without having to be reliant on her parents or anybody else. Just a thought...

Bennett

Record Breaker
since this appears to be more speculation than anything else how are we to know the circumstances.

Good point. We do not know how much Fumie herself has worked, earned, or spent, or how much others including her ex-sponsors or parents have paid for her.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please remember that insulting fellow posters in a personal way is against the guidelines. If it doesn't stop, this thread will be closed.

lavender

Record Breaker
I think that Fumie has made that decision after assessing all the pros and cons.

Re: sponsorship, it's more about publicity and financial returns, rather than actual competitive results that matter most. Many Olympic medalists in other sports are far less famous than Fumie. This article made one of the top news of Yahoo Japan of the day (not just the sports section).

There is ageism against female skaters who continue after early 20s. But Japan is such an aging society in which the median age of females is 46 yrs old. Female athletes who continue in their 30s and 40s are usually respected. So Fumie can be marketable if framed wisely.

Very nice post...