Ladies FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Does the USFSA as a say if a skater moves to SGP or does the JGP, i remember that when mirai got the silver at JW she still went to JGP instead of SGP,but caroline and ashley went to SGP,so was that mirasi's decision?

I think to compete on the senior grand prix you either have to be 15 by the previous July 1st or have already competed on the JGP. In Mirai's case, she was 14 and hadn't already competed on JGP so after she won the junior title she was assigned to the JGP. Caroline Zhang was able to compete on the SGP that same year even though she was only 14 because she had competed on the JGP the previous year when Mirai had to qualify for nationals through regionals and sectionals.

Agnes is already 15 so I think she could go on the SGP or JGP. I know Alexe went on the JGP after she won the junior title, and she was 16, but she didn't go to junior worlds that year and medal like Agnes did so I don't know what the USFSA will decide to do. With Alissa likely retiring that will open up a spot, and I don't know if Rachael will be competing in the fall because of college. If I had to guess, Agnes, Christina, and Amanda Dobbs (if she does singles) will compete on the SGP this fall along with Mirai, Caroline, and Bebe. Then Alissa, Rachael, Emily, Kimmie if she ever comes back, I don't know about. Kiri will stay on JGP for another year if I had to guess, and she will be joined by the juniors who beat her at nationals, the novice medalists maybe.

Trewyn

Medalist
Agnes is already 15 so I think she could go on the SGP or JGP. I know Alexe went on the JGP after she won the junior title, and she was 16, but she didn't go to junior worlds that year and medal like Agnes did so I don't know what the USFSA will decide to do. With Alissa likely retiring that will open up a spot, and I don't know if Rachael will be competing in the fall because of college. If I had to guess, Agnes, Christina, and Amanda Dobbs (if she does singles) will compete on the SGP this fall along with Mirai, Caroline, and Bebe. Then Alissa, Rachael, Emily, Kimmie if she ever comes back, I don't know about. Kiri will stay on JGP for another year if I had to guess, and she will be joined by the juniors who beat her at nationals, the novice medalists maybe.

I think you're forgetting Ashley who as the 3rd US Lady will very likely get 2 GP spots. Or did you leave her out intentionally?

Rachael, Mirai and Ashley are all likely to do the GP and get 2 spots (why would you think Rachael is going to forfeit the GP in favour of college? I don't think that's very likely at this point; unless she wins Worlds or something).
Caroline will probably get 2 spots (based on her medal at 4CC);
Agnes, Christina, Amanda will likely get at least 1 spot if they decide on competing on the GP; Agnes is guaranteed one I think with her JR Worlds medal;
Kimmie and Alissa: we'll have to wait and see if they'll be competing.

This probably deserves its own thread; then the speculating can begin on who the USFSA will pick for SA.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Just looking at the final results page, it shows that even if you place the same position in each segment (SP and LP), it's no guarantee that'll be your overall placing. It must be rough for Kiri, placing 5th in both segments and ending up in 7th overall...

Congratulations to the medalists! Kanako Murakami wins, not suprisingly. She had such an amazing season. And wow, Agnes Zawadzki, huge score for a first major international! She's definitely showing signs of a long program skater, kinda like Rachael Flatt...just needs to up her SP a bit in consistency. And Polina Agafonova did well this season too. Might have been good that while people were expecting the young Russian girls to do amazingly, the eyes were more on Polina Shelepen. Can't wait until next season to see how the Russian girls do, especially with skaters like Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Adelina Sotnikova gaining junior international eligibility.

Fashionista

On the Ice
I think to compete on the senior grand prix you either have to be 15 by the previous July 1st or have already competed on the JGP.

To compete on the SGP you should be 14 by the July 1st. And there's no rule you should start with JGP first to compete on the SGP.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think you're forgetting Ashley who as the 3rd US Lady will very likely get 2 GP spots. Or did you leave her out intentionally?

Rachael, Mirai and Ashley are all likely to do the GP and get 2 spots (why would you think Rachael is going to forfeit the GP in favour of college? I don't think that's very likely at this point; unless she wins Worlds or something).
Caroline will probably get 2 spots (based on her medal at 4CC);
Agnes, Christina, Amanda will likely get at least 1 spot if they decide on competing on the GP; Agnes is guaranteed one I think with her JR Worlds medal;
Kimmie and Alissa: we'll have to wait and see if they'll be competing.

This probably deserves its own thread; then the speculating can begin on who the USFSA will pick for SA.

I didn't leave Ashley out intentionally, I just forgot her, she will have 2 GP spots for sure. It seems like there are always a few random skaters who get GP assignments without having much success. Alexe has not done very well this year so she may only get one assignment, Becky Bereswill got one assignment this year and did poorly there and at nationals, she likely will not get a GP assignment this season if she even continues to compete, Bebe did ok at nationals but poorly at her GP assignment this fall, so she may not get assignment either or will just get one. Where Christina is 16 and beat Liang, Czisny, Zhang at nationals I really doubt they won't give her two senior GP events. Dobbs probably will get one assignment, maybe two if Czisny retires and Kimmie continues to be MIA.

bluelutz

On the Ice
I didn't leave Ashley out intentionally, I just forgot her, she will have 2 GP spots for sure. It seems like there are always a few random skaters who get GP assignments without having much success. Alexe has not done very well this year so she may only get one assignment, Becky Bereswill got one assignment this year and did poorly there and at nationals, she likely will not get a GP assignment this season if she even continues to compete, Bebe did ok at nationals but poorly at her GP assignment this fall, so she may not get assignment either or will just get one. Where Christina is 16 and beat Liang, Czisny, Zhang at nationals I really doubt they won't give her two senior GP events. Dobbs probably will get one assignment, maybe two if Czisny retires and Kimmie continues to be MIA.

I think you know, but just make sure.
Skaters have to earn the qualification to be sent to Senior GPS.
And that qualification comes from the point they have earned from
the international competitions they entered in this season & the last season,
and/or the rank of their SB from the international competitions as well.

So skaters who did not do well internationally
or did not compete internationally can not be qualified
no matter how well they did at their Nationals.
On the other hand, skaters did well internatinally can be qualified
no matter how badly they bombed at their Natinals
except one skater that host countires can send to their home GPS comepetition.

We still do not know the final ranking as the senior Worlds is not finished yet,
and also some top seniors will retire after this season.
However, judging from how well/ or poorly they did internationally in this season,
probably some skaters you mentioned will not be qualified for even one spot for the next season,
unless they had earned tons of points in the last season
as the points can accumulate in two seasons.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

We still do not know the final ranking as the senior Worlds is not finished yet,
However, judging from how well/ or poorly they did internationally in this season,
probably some skaters you mentioned will not be qualified for even one spot for the next season,

So essentially, Agnes can only be sent to Skate America because she has had no international competitions this season? She might be better off going on the JGP because then she can actually make the final. Are junior international events considered as well? Of the US ladies that were on the JGP and SGP circuit this year, the results are as follows:

Rachael Flatt - 4th CoC, 2nd SA, 7th Olympics + worlds placement
Mirai Nagasu - 5th CoC, 4th SC, 4th Olympics + worlds placement
Ashley Wagner - 3th COR, 2nd NHK, 4th GPF
Caroline Zhang - 4th TEB, 8th SC, 3rd 4CC
Alissa Czisny - 4th COR, 2nd SC
Alexe Gilles - 5th TEB, 10th SA, 9th 4CC
Emily Hughes - 7th SA
Becky Bereswill - 11th NHK
Bebe Liang - 10th CoC
Amanda Dobbs - 4th 4CC

Kiri Baga - 1st JGP, 1st JGP, 7th JGPF, 6th Jr World
Christina Gao - 3rd JGP, 3rd JGP, 3rd JGPF, 8th Jr World
Angela Maxwell - 2nd JGP, 2nd JGP, 6th JGPF
Ellie Kawanura - 3rd JGP, 4th JGP, 8th JGPF
Agnes Zawadzki - 2nd Jr World

How does the USFSA take into account how many competitions you went to? Also, if skaters have a lot of success on the JGP circuit can they take the spots of girls that did not do well on the SGP circuit - like could Gao, Maxwell, and Baga be sent to SGP events instead of Gilles, Liang, and Bereswill?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You're confusing the ISU Ranking list with the Seasons Best Scores list. They are two completely different things.

The only criteria that a skater (other than a GP host pick) MUST meet to be invited to a GP event is that their best score of the season must be in the top 75 on the Seasons Best Scores list. The Seasons Best Scores list is based only on JGP, GP, and ISU Championship events (Worlds, Olympics, Junior Worlds, Europeans, 4CC). The only case where a skater does not have to be in the top 75 on the SB list is if the skater is from a Grand Prix host nation, and is chosen as a host pick.

So a skater who has competed in one of the Seasons Best events but no other competition could not only be eligible for the GP, but could even be guaranteed at least one GP event. Skaters are eligible for GP events if their Seasons Best score is in the top 75 on the list.

The ISU Ranking list is based on points accumulated from all ISU competitions, including GP, JGP, ISU Championships, and International Senior "B"s (Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Golden Spin, etc.).

Here are the ways skaters can be guaranteed a spot in the Grand Prix:

1. Finish in the top 12 at Worlds or Olympics (guaranteed two GP events)
2. Finish in the top 24 on the ISU Ranking list (guaranteed at least one GP event)
3. Season's best score in the top 24 on the Seasons Best Scores list (guaranteed at least one GP event)
4. Be a JGP Final medalist or a Junior World medalist (guaranteed at least one GP event)
5. Be a skater from a Grand Prix host nation and receive a host pick.

Agnes Zawadzki may have competed in just one event, but it WAS an ISU Championship event, so her score is on the Seasons Best list, and is in the top 24. She is also guaranteed at least one GP event (if she chooses to compete in the GP) because she is a Junior World medalist.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ Thanks! Where can you find the Seasons Best Scores list? And is it the same for Juniors and Seniors?

bluelutz

On the Ice
Chuckm, thanks for clarifying.
I knew about the point & SB system
but did not know the details.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Okay I think this finally makes sense now. Gilles, Liang, Kawamura, Baga, Maxwell, Gozeva, Ovhcarova all have season's best scores in the top 75 so they are eligible for the Senior GP regardless of location, though are not guarunteed assignments, and could be sent to one, two, or none GP events, or if they are young enough can be sent to JGP events, but not both SGP and JGP events. Zawadski, Shelepen, Agofonova, Dobbs, Gao, Murakami, Zhang, Czisny, Wagner all have secured one GP event but could be sent to two, and Flatt and Nagasu have secured 2 GP events already through their finishes at the Olympics. Bereswill and Gerboldt don't have SB scores in the top 75 so they are getting at most one assignment, and that would have to be SA for Bereswill and COR for Gerboldt.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt very much that Becky Bereswill would get a Skate America assignment, as she bombed at Skate America, and then finished 13th at Nationals. The best she can hope for is an International "B" assignment.

As for Gerboldt, with all the young Russian up-and-comers eligible for assignments, she probably is in the same boat as Bereswill.

bluelutz

On the Ice
Becky is not going to get anything,
there is not much reason to send her to Skate Americna.

In the case of Agnes,
If she gets only one spot,
US fed can give her Skate America spot to her as she is a promising skater.
However, if Kimmie wants to come back, that spot can go to her.
In that case, Agnes can go to JGPS which she mostlikely to get two spots and get qualified for the final,
which is not bad at all as she can gain some experience before she faces big guns.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I doubt very much that Becky Bereswill would get a Skate America assignment, as she bombed at Skate America, and then finished 13th at Nationals. The best she can hope for is an International "B" assignment.

As for Gerboldt, with all the young Russian up-and-comers eligible for assignments, she probably is in the same boat as Bereswill.

I feel the same way, the US would be better off giving the assignment to Gao, Dobbs, or Zawadzki so they can have two events. As for Russia, most of the girls are so young that they will only be eligible for the JGP next year, but they would be better off giving the COR slot to Agafonova, Shelepen, or Ovcharova instead of Gerbolt.

oleada

Record Breaker
I think the best thing for Agnes is to do a year on the JGP. She can medal, likely make the JGPF, earn some $$$ and make a name for herself. She'd likely earn two spots based on SB and world standing. She'd go into the GP as a Junior World medalist this year, but still relatively obscure and with little experience. A year in the JGP couldn't hurt. Then, skate senior at nationals and if she makes the World team, then so be it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think the best thing for Agnes is to do a year on the JGP. She can medal, likely make the JGPF, earn some $$$ and make a name for herself. She'd likely earn two spots based on SB and world standing. She'd go into the GP as a Junior World medalist this year, but still relatively obscure and with little experience. A year in the JGP couldn't hurt. Then, skate senior at nationals and if she makes the World team, then so be it.

That actually does sound like a good idea, but ultimately whatever she choses to do hopefully she will do well. I just read in an article that Kanako said she isn't even sure if she wants to skate in the senior GP or junior GP next year, and she's already done two years on the JGP and won every competition she was in this year! Both Polinas and Anna might be better off doing JGP next year too, although with all the other young girls who will be eligible next year, they might get sent to seniors for space reasons. I keep forgetting Polina A and Anna are only turning 14 now, while most of the other girls are 15 and 16 already.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that Agnes should do the JGP next season. It's an easy way for her to get recognition and earn a few medals along the way. She'd likely make the JGPF and even medal there, setting herself up for guaranteed GP events in 2011-2012. She could then aim for a Worlds berth by medaling at US Nationals.

If she went in the GP, USFS would have to "hold" an SA slot (TBD it) rather than name her to SA right off the bat, so as not to have her host pick counted as her "guaranteed assignment". And she'd likely get lowballed on PCS and finish midpack anyway because she is a total newbie. It could be hard to build up any momentum that way.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What do people think the three Russian girls should do? They are still so young but because there are only 2 good Russian skaters above the age of 15 they probably could all do seniors if they wanted to. Staying on the JGP could be a good idea if they end up fighting puberty battles next year, rather then go to the SGP and get slammed with bad scores for URs and low PCS and then have to rebuild their reputations with the judges the next season (what happened to Mirai and likely why her scores were so low this season).