Ladies FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

bluelutz

On the Ice
I say juniors are unpredictable besides Kanako.

Before SP, I thought Kanako vs. Polina S vs. Christina.
After SP, I thought Kanako vs. Anna.
After FP, I think it was really Kanako's gold to lose.
She is better at least now than anybody else with her consistency and high PCS.
However, flaws of jumping tech and not having 3Lp may hurt her in the senior ranks.

The biggest surprise was of course Agnes!
And among three Russian girls, I like Polina A a lot.

Congrats to Kanako, Agnes and Polina! Well done.

Trewyn

Medalist
ETA: Trewyn, are you writing from den Haag?

Nope, I ended up not going; to save money for my trip to Turin :). They didn't really need me as a volunteer anyway so; I figure it was best to save the money I would have spend on train tickets and put it towards my gold all event ticket for the World Championships. I don't mind not having seen the competition; I'm sure there was a lot of great talent there, but I still rather watch senior competitions. I'm a bit sad I didn't get to see The Hague, though, but the city won't go away any time soon; so I might go there during the summer.

champs

Final Flight
Some judge gave Shelepen a GOE of -3 for her 3Lz3T in the SP, kinda harsh after I watched her SP.

Agafonova gets negative GOE for her 3Lz3T in the SP but positive GOE the same combo in the free, good for her!
And lots of +3s for her layback spins.

champs

Final Flight
Nope, I ended up not going; to save money for my trip to Turin :). They didn't really need me as a volunteer anyway so; I figure it was best to save the money I would have spend on train tickets and put it towards my gold all event ticket for the World Championships. I don't mind not having seen the competition; I'm sure there was a lot of great talent there, but I still rather watch senior competitions. I'm a bit sad I didn't get to see The Hague, though, but the city won't go away any time soon; so I might go there during the summer.
I see, makes perfect sense, hope you will have a great time in Torino! And let's hope Ashley will get assigned to TEB so that you can get the opprtunity back :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Will Agnes have to go on the JGP circuit next year or can she go right into the SGP circuit? I know she is young enough to compete on JGP but is there a certain rule where you have to compete on JGP before you can compete on SGP?

champs

Final Flight
I usually don't spend much time looking at protocols closely so I can't speak relatively with respect to other competitions, I just look at the protocols of this competition and am surprised to see quite a large number of level 4 spins and spirals. Maybe the coaches around the world have all become quite familiar with COP and/or the level of competition in the junior circuit has been getting higher and higher.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Agnes can move up to Seniors if they want. And honestly if I'm the USFSA, I'd encourage her to move to seniors. She skates like a senior and I think is really a great future prospect for the future.

As for Gao, I disagree that she has a better future than Agnes. Agnes right now has better presentation, better jumps (they are HUGE) better spins etc... I actually think Gao needs work on Presentation

Agnes is guaranteed one spot at Seniors for medaling at Junior Worlds. And the USFSA can name her to Skate America. They truly should.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Agnes can move up to Seniors if they want. And honestly if I'm the USFSA, I'd encourage her to move to seniors. She skates like a senior and I think is really a great future prospect for the future.

As for Gao, I disagree that she has a better future than Agnes. Agnes right now has better presentation, better jumps (they are HUGE) better spins etc... I actually think Gao needs work on Presentation

Agnes is guaranteed one spot at Seniors for medaling at Junior Worlds. And the USFSA can name her to Skate America. They truly should.

I tend to think Agnes and Gao will both compete on the senior grand prix next year. Gao didn't have the best competition here, but she did beat Ksenia Makarova at the JGPF, who just finished 10th at the Olympics, and she beat Alissa, Caroline, Bebe, and Alexe at nationals where she had some mistakes. Christina does need to work on presentation, but she already has the basics down, she might not peak until later whereas Agnes could be at her peak now.

Oh and I was just noticing that Kanako didn't compete at JW last year, anyone know why?

Narumi1997

Rinkside
I tend to think Agnes and Gao will both compete on the senior grand prix next year. Gao didn't have the best competition here, but she did beat Ksenia Makarova at the JGPF, who just finished 10th at the Olympics, and she beat Alissa, Caroline, Bebe, and Alexe at nationals where she had some mistakes. Christina does need to work on presentation, but she already has the basics down, she might not peak until later whereas Agnes could be at her peak now.

Oh and I was just noticing that Kanako didn't compete at JW last year, anyone know why?

At Japanese Jr. Nationals, Kanako placed 3rd but JPN only had two spots. They sent their top 2 finshers (Haruka Imai, Mari Suzuki) which did not turn out well.

coconutpunch

Rinkside
The Japanese fed that season chose the reps based on just the Japanese Jr. Nats, IIRC, where Kanako unfortunately placed 3rd. As a result, Haruka Imai and Mari Suzuki were chosen; Mari getting picked was especially controversial because she's very inconsistent, has very little international experience, and had subpar results for pretty much the entire season (this includes senior Japanese Nats where she placed 12th and Kanako was 7th). I wasn't surprised at all to see Mari bomb Jr. Worlds last year, to be honest.

Congrats to Kanako, Agnes, and Polina A! :agree:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
At Japanese Jr. Nationals, Kanako placed 3rd but JPN only had two spots. They sent their top 2 finshers (Haruka Imai, Mari Suzuki) which did not turn out well.

Yeah, yikes, they finished 16th and 26th. Kanako probably could have medaled last year too. Excited to see her compete seniors next year! The junior circuit next year will likely be dominated by the Russians as Elizaveta and Adelina will finally be eligible!

bekalc

Record Breaker
After the disaster that was I think the Junior worlds the Japanese changed their quaification requirements (righfully I think)

Dizzy

Spectator
Does the USFSA as a say if a skater moves to SGP or does the JGP, i remember that when mirai got the silver at JW she still went to JGP instead of SGP,but caroline and ashley went to SGP,so was that mirasi's decision?

bluelutz

On the Ice
Yeah, yikes, they finished 16th and 26th. Kanako probably could have medaled last year too. Excited to see her compete seniors next year! The junior circuit next year will likely be dominated by the Russians as Elizaveta and Adelina will finally be eligible!

I am very afraid that nobody will be able to stop those Russian girls, it's scary!
Is there any girl in novice ranks in U.S. or Japan who has a potential to do so?

raress

On the Ice
And not forget that there are another 3 or 4 russian girls to come(L Tuktamisheva ,A Sotnikova,I Lipinskaya,),so many talents !:)Russia in on the wave!

Lucky Star

Final Flight
And not forget that there are another 3 or 4 russian girls to come(L Tuktamisheva ,A Sotnikova,I Lipinskaya,),so many talents !:)Russia in on the wave!

Not only 3 or 4. There are also Sofia Biryukova (all triples and 3T-3T), Kristina Zaseeva (all triples and 3T-3T), Nikol Gosviani (all triples) - those girls (except Sofia, she is 15) are 13 y.o. and will be eligible for JGP next year. Also Daria Medvedeva, she is 12, has all triples (including 3Lz and 3F without any edge problems or something), Alexandra Deeva, Elena Radionova (she is only 10 but very promising skater) and even more to come... Yes, puberty may hurt them, but I think not all of them, 2-3 or even more will stay (as for me, I think Liza Tuktamysheva has good chances, she has perfect technique)

Congrats to Polina Agafonova! She is so cute, I like her very much!

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
I am very afraid that nobody will be able to stop those Russian girls, it's scary!
Is there any girl in novice ranks in U.S. or Japan who has a potential to do so?
There are some skaters that I think are talented in Japan. But I have no idea whether they can stop Russian girls.
I'm sure Japanese fed will send a lot more skaters bucause Kanako won gold medal here.
So Look forward to them!

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I know, I feel like if both Polinas and Anna go to SGP next year they could potentially do better there than on the JGP just because of the stiff competition. I don't know if they will go to SGP, but Polina A is the junior champion and medaled at Jr Worlds, Polina S has won most everything on the JGP this season, and Anna was 2nd at Jr Nationals and 5th in seniors, but the girls who were 3rd and 4th are Elizaveta and Adelina and they will both be on JGP next year because they were too young this year. They seem like the best girls behind Alena and Ksenia who will actually be eligible for SGP next year, the two other Russians they have been sending the past couple years aren't very good. Does anyone know how many ladies Russia can send to SGP next year or is it like up to the federation to decide?