Your top ten ladies of all time? | Golden Skate

Your top ten ladies of all time?

Bijoux

Match Penalty
In somewhat of an order...

Michelle Kwan, for solid jumping, joyful ease, great edges, competitive fire and longevity.
Yuka Sato, professional years. She has it all
Sasha Cohen _ despite the falls, her skating is exquisite
Dorothy-beauty, grace, best back, best stroking, an athlete in her time
Kat Witt-she just got better and gave us so many beautiful pro skates. As a competitor, only Kwan stands with her for meeting the big moments with killer instinct

Janet Lynn-lovely, she left us too soon
Irina Slutskaya OM?G- how did I leave her off? hated her gawky years despite the jumps but she was awesome-fun to watch, all those achievements. I loved watching her fly through Cotton Eysd Joe in her gala skate at SLC. She deserved all her titles, really, what a worker/competitor. There will never be a Russian to even come close to her resume.
Kristi Yamaguchi-as a pro she kept her jumps and truly became one of the most graceful skaters, so perfectly blessed to reach her porential, the luckiest skater
Mirai Nagasu-the most adorable skater, she lights up and does everything well.
Chen Lu-exquisite

And not yet but when she is more complete with better spins, spirals, spark YUNA will bump someone, probably Biellman off the list.
Shizuka is lovely but did not stay with us long enough to make this list, Nor did talented Tara but I love both.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
1.) Yuna
2.) Kristi
3.) Michelle
4.) Mirai
5.) Shizuka
6.) Midori
7.) Carolina when she's on
8.) Joannie
9.) Irina
10.) Jenny

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, my lists of these kinds of threads will always be limited. It's hard for me to list Dorothy or Peggy or Janet Lynn as my favorites because I never watched them skate, except on youtube. So this is just very personal and it's restricted to the early 1990s on because 1992 is the first Olympics I ever remember watching.

1. Michelle Kwan. She'll always be in a category of her own for me. Such solid tecnique, and I don't think anyone has ever connected to the audience like she did. She spoiled us with so many perfect programs.
2. Kim Yuna. No lady skater has ever matched athletic power with musicality and artistry the way she has.
4. Sasha Cohen. I don't care what anyone says, she has a breathtaking quality and exquisiteness that no one else can really match. Sasha ruined spirals for me because nobody does it the way she did in her best competitive days. And I love the sharpness of her footwork in her best programs.
3. Kristi Yamaguchi. Well, Kristi was like the Yuna of her time, combining impressive jumps with artistry. I still think Michelle beats her in projecting emotion, though.
5. Mao Asada. Too bad she is under Yuna's shadow because she is just one of the best skaters I have ever seen. Here is hoping she'll keep going and break out of that shadow in the next years.
6. Midori Ito. The Midori of 1988-1992 can still out jump most of today's ladies. :biggrin: Plus, I think she had a certain charisma on the ice that made up for her lack of flexibility and other weaknesses on the artistic side.
7. Irina Slutskaya. Like Sasha, I wish she had skated more perfect programs because when she did, like at 2005 worlds, it was powerful and energetic and exciting and ... Irina!
8. Oskana Baiul. Too bad she didn't keep going. She had that other-wordly balletic quality that only Sasha has ever matched (or surpassed). Her Swan Lake SP is one of my all time favorite programs.
9. Tara Lipinski. I know she doesn't make a lot of people's list but she won me over immediately with her joy, her power and her competitiveness.
10. Chen Lu. The only reason I don't have her higher is because she was sort of under my radar the whole time... I've sort of gone back and discovered her more fully. So I don't have the same emotional attachment as the others. But I'm not about to leave her off the list!

zizi31

Rinkside
1. Sasha Cohen - the most gorgeous skater that I've ever seen; she had the most perfect positions and spirals. Some people found her cold, but to me she seemed wonderfully emotional when she was on - her Juliet was extremely touching.
2. Mao Asada -she's just like a butterfuly; when she was doing her beautiful, graceful programs, she really was magical. Very soft and lyrical - soft and quiet like a warm summer's day.
3. Michelle Kwan - not much explanation needed.
4. Katarina Witt - her carmen was one of the best ever, IMO

For me, others pale in comparison to these 4, but some that I like include:

Irina (not the most beautiful skater when standing still, but really came to life when skating)
Shizuka (her olympic performance was magical)
Mirai (has major potential)
Tara (joyful and full of energy).

Edited to add Witt...how could I forget her?

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
1. Miki Ando
2. Mao Asada
3. Shizuka Arakawa
4. Yu-Na Kim
5. Carolina Kostner
6. Yukari Nakano
7. Joannie Rochette
8. Sarah Hughes
9. Midori Ito
10. Fumie Suguri

I love threads like this! Someone always characterizes the skaters in a way that makes me see something new in their abilities. I agree with Layfan and Bijoux in placing Michelle at the top of the list. The way she combines technique with soul is simply bewitching. Her consistency and longevity also boost her to the top of my rankings. I'm glad Bijoux also includes Yuka Sato, who has a similar combination of emotion and meticulous technique. When she skated in pro competitions, knowledgeable camera operators would often focus on her skates, because her footwork was so intricate and interesting. I'd probably place her second, as Bijoux does.

I don't think it's just "chronological snobbery" that would put Kim and Asada on the list. I think they're both there to stay, however long or briefly their careers last. Kim has amazing speed and power but does it all with artistry. Plus she has that rise-to-the-occasion mentality that keeps her steady in the most high-pressure moments. Asada also is one for the ages. Besides her jumps, she has a beautiful airy quality to her skating, and she's tremendously musical. She's also able to connect emotionally to both the music and to her audience. What a smile! (Let's hope we see more of it in the coming year; she has looked so weighed down this season.) I always root for her.

Sasha goes on all my lists, too. Her faults are much less significant than many people make out. For a supposed head case, she has a pretty good haul of international medals (including an Olympic silver--not too shabby) and a pretty long career. As one of you said, her spirals have spoiled me forever, because no one else does them with the precision and the poetry she brought to them. What really put me in her corner was a trip via YouTube into her past. She arrived at Nationals at the age of fifteen or so and was a fully fledged artist right then. She never looked like a junior. Whatever she has as a skater she always had--no awkward early stage or middle stage.

Dorothy--as Bijoux mentioned, beautiful stroking and the best carriage ever, except for Yuka.
Janet--the kind of joyous poetry on ice that we didn't see again until Michelle.
Kristi--she just got better and better. As a pro, she became more expressive without losing her jumps. She's also versatile and projects an appealing personality.

I don't know what to do for the last few spots, so I'll leave them open for now.

miki88

Medalist
This is going to be hard ~~

1. Michelle Kwan -- The eternal Kween. No skater trumps her in overall package or in the ability to
move audience's hearts.
2. Mao Asada -- The lightest skater to ever set foot on ice. At her best, she was like an ice
fairy. She wasn't always in Yuna's shadow^^. Hoping she can emerge back into the
spotlight again.
3. Midori Ito- Still the greatest female jumper in my eyes.
4. Janet Lynn- One of the most graceful skaters in history.
5. Oksana Baiul- Most balletic skater I've seen and she commanded the ice.
6. Yuna Kim -- A great actress on ice and a master technician.
7. Chen Lu -- She possessed a very unique sense of artistry.
8. Mirai Nagasu- She's still in the making but has already become one of my favorite skaters.
Always a joy to watch.
9. Kristi Yamaguchi -- She had that rare combination of athleticism and artistry.
10. Tonya Harding -- Before the scandals and the downfall, Tonya in her heyday was a
powerful jumper and she knew how to entertain the crowd with her unconventional music
selections.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
1. THE GODDESS ON ICE: MICHELLE KWAN- for me, she is the greatest figure skater of all time. Her emotional connection to the music, to the audience, her flawless skates, charisma, freedom on the ice, grace, inner and outer beauty and passion for the sport makes her the greatest ever! With or without the Olympic gold, her 5 world titles and 2 Olympic medals are greater that 2 Olympic Gold medals combined.

2. YU-NA KIM! Queen Yu-Na, her regal look, the height of her jumps, her beautiful musicality and beauty make her one of the greatest ever!

3. CHEN LU

4. KRISTI YAMAGUCHI! Simply exquisite in every sense of the word!

5. SHIZUKA ARAKAWA

6. YUKA SATO- beautiful edging and incredible heart wrenching artistry is simply BEAUTIFUL!

7. SASHA COHEN

8. IRINA SLUTSKAYA/ KATARINA WITT

9. OKSANA BAIUL- The ballerina on the ice

10. MAO ASADA- She is absolutely lovely! If she skates the light music she is simply ethereal!

Tara Lipinski was also amazing! Her "Rainbow"program was pure joy!!!!!

MIRAI NAGASU also has some of the most beautiful technique, spins , jumps etc.! She will be one of the favorites in SOCHI!!!! I

She will mature in due time and probably land in my top 3 together with Michelle and Yu-NA!

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It is hard to compare current skaters with those of generations past that we never had an experiece to witness live but here goes. This list is not really in order.

1. Michelle Kwan
2. Yu-na Kim
3. Midori Ito
4. Katrina Witt
5. Sonja Henie
6. Sasha Cohen
7. Mao Asada
8. Tara Lipinski
9. Marabel Vincent Owen
10. Katia Gordeeva

Bennett

Record Breaker
1. Katarina Witt
2. Midori Ito
3. Lu Chen
4. Oksana Baiul
5. Yukina Ota

I'd add Mao and Yuna to the list when they retire.

jennylovskt

Medalist
No particular order:

Sasha Cohen
Michelle Kwan
Yu Na Kim
Yuka Sato
Katerina Witt
Ekaterina Gordeeva (as pairs and as single)
Oksana Baiul (only that ballerina at Olympics)
Miki Ando
Irina Slutskaya
Shizuka Arakawa

CalebsMom

Rinkside
In alphabetical order of their last name:

1. Shizuka Arakawa
2. Oksana Baiul
3. Lu Chen
4. Yuna Kim
5. Michelle Kwan
6. Tara Lipinski
7. Janet Lynn
8. Lucinda Ruh (Very Subjective)
9. Katarina Witt
10. Kristi Yamaguchi

bibi24

Final Flight
My order often change over time, depends on who I happen to be reminiscing at that time :laugh:

GIRL POWER !!

1. Midori Ito
2. Mao Asada
3. Shizuka Arakawa
4. Sasha Cohen
5. Michelle Kwan
6. Chen Lu
7. Tara Lipinski
8. Elizabeth Manley
Barbara Underhill
Mai Asada
Miki Ando
Ekaterina Gordeeva
Shae-Lynn Bourne

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
1. Kristi Yamaguchi
2. Yuka Sato
3. Janet Lynn
4. Sasha Cohen
5. Irina Slutskaya
6. Joannie Rochette
7. Karia Gordeeva - for her courage alone she should be on the list
8. Chen Lu
9. Katarina Witt
10. Yuna Kim

Last edited:

mirage

Rinkside
1. Yu-Na Kim :thumbsup:
2. Michelle Kwan :love:
3. Katarina Witt
4. Irina Slutskaya
5. Tara Lipinski

Phoenix347

Final Flight
If top 10 means 10 greatest women figure skaters of all times, then you have to add historical skaters:

1. Sonia Henie - she won the OGM 3 times and world championship 10 times, all consecutive. No one comes close that accomplishment. She changed the sport forever.
2. Herma Szabo - not only did she win singles world championship 5 times but also won it twice as part of a pairs teams. Plus a OGM. Now, that's versatility.
3. Carol Heiss - 5 time world champ and 1 OGM and OSM. First woman to perform a double Axel.
4. MIchelle Kwan - Although she never won the OGM, her 5 world title and 9 US title and her longevity and body of work make her one of the greatest.
5. Katarina Witt - No one else won as much or more OGM than Witt except for Henie and she brought so much drama to the ice plus 4 world titles.
6. Janet Lynn - Although she never won any OGM or world title (due to emphasis on compulsory figures event during the era) she will always be remembered for graceful whisper quiet skating and her tremendous skating skills.
7. Barbara Ann Scott - While she had a relatively short career, she is the only skater to have ever won both North American and European Championship in addition to her OGM and two world titles.
8. Peggy Fleming - 1968 OGM and 3 times world champion, she brought the US back into fore front of figure skating after the tragedy of Sabena Flight 548 in 1961 killed the entire US figure skating team.
9. Midori Ito - Although she only won the world championship once and never won a OGM, she broke through the technical frontier of ladies figure skating by introducing triple Axel and 3/3 to the ladies competition. Her 3A is still unmatched by the current ladies.
10. Sjoukje Dijkstra - Won 3 world title and 1 OGM and 1 OSM.

Perhaps one day skaters like Yuna and Mao can be listed in the top 10 but only after more world titles and more Olympic medals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just because a skater has a ton of medals it doesn't mean they're the greatest at SKATING, at least that's what I'd argue. Kurt Browning never won an Olympic medal but I'd argue he's one of the greatest skaters that ever lived.

Mafke

Medalist
I'd automatically exclude any currently active eligible skaters and only go back for about 50 years (instead of 'all time'). My criteria are:

- longevity (as an amateur/eligible and/or pro)
- influence on other skaters
- track record

for sure:

Kwan - amazing consistency over a very long period
Witt - not really a skater's skater, but a ferocious driven competitor

possible

Slutskaya - very consistent and resilient
Yamaguchi - (last of the great traditional amateur to pro champions?)

I'd also include those skaters that (at least partly) casued the ISU to revamp its rules:

Ito - greatest jumper of all time and very underrated presentation
Lynn - not the greatest competitor but a skater's skater whose free skating is still mesmerising
Schuba - love or hate her free skating, she's just as much responsible for strengthening the emphasis on free skating as Lynn
Zayak - to get a rule named after you (to limit athleticism no less) means she's made of awesome

Old school
Hamill - not so innovative but a real cultural phenomenon
Fleming - first tv compatible skater (in color at any rate)

I can live with that list.

Mafke

Medalist
just because a skater has a ton of medals it doesn't mean they're the greatest at SKATING, at least that's what I'd argue. Kurt Browning never won an Olympic medal but I'd argue he's one of the greatest skaters that ever lived.

I agree about Browning's greatness, but he also _did_ win a tone of medals, just not olympic ones.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Such a difficult thread :) For a moment, I had to wonder what this thread was asking for, as there was a little debate as to what defines a great, historical skater. I went back to the tread title "YOUR top ten ladies of all time", which seemed to instruct me to list my favorites. I don't have up to ten.

1. The Kween: What can I say? She's the standard by which I evaluate every other skater.
The programs I will never forget:
Tosca: Nationals
Red Violin: Worlds
Lyra Angelica: Nationals
Fields of Gold: SLC Olympics
East of Eden: Nationals

2. Yu-na Kim: She brought me back to figure skating. She has spark, competitive fire, athleticism, musicality and artistry.
Tango Roxanne: Worlds
Lark Ascending: Worlds
Danse Macabre: Worlds
Piano Concerto in F: Vancouver Olympics

3. Sasha Cohen: She may not rank on a list of historical skaters, but she can be so breathtaking when she's on.
Dark Eyes: Torino Olympics
Malaguena: Worlds
Espana Cani: Nationals

4. Chen Lu: So exquisite. I will never forget her tears after her performance in Nagano.
Rachmanioff Piano Concernto No. 2: Worlds
Butterfly Lovers: Nagano Olympics

5. Mao Asada: So much potential and raw talent. I just wish a coach would help her harness it.
Fantasia for Violin and Orchestra: Worlds
Nocturne: SA
Czardes: Worlds

I'm guessing Mirai will soon join this list.

Last edited: