Your top ten ladies of all time? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Your top ten ladies of all time?

Layfan

Record Breaker
I don't know about Kwan and Slute being tied. I think many would consider five World Championship titles to two and nine national titles to four pretty decisive.

As for Yu Na, obviously nobody can say now. How long she competes, how her body holds up - those are the unknown variables. To say nothing of Mao 3.0 and Mirai. : )

I agree, Michelle's legacy surpasses Irina's if only because she three more world championships than Irina. But Irina has my lasting admiration for her longetivity - I think her competitive career lasted even longer than Michelle's but I could be wrong. Irina made it to three Olympics. Michelle tried her hardest but couldn't do that. I also admire Irina so much for hitting her peak at a late age and and the end of her career after going through all that hardship with her illness and her mother.
Irina was Michelle's best rival, IMO.

Yuna had already done what Michelle and Irina couldn't, which is win an OGM. She is the first reigning ladies world champion to win OG since Tara Lipinski. Michelle couldn't do it in 2002 and Irina couldn't in 2006.

So in that way, she has already surpassed their record.

I'd say of the three, Michelle is still the only one who can be considered a legend like Kat or Dorothy. But maybe I'm biased because I'm American?

As a figure skating fan, I secretly would love to see Yuna keep winning so even more people in the world know her name. I'd love for Yuna to become a household name even for people who don't follow skating closely, like Michelle and Katarina.

But in reality, of course, Yuna should only keep competing because she loves it. She is already one of the best OG medalists the world has ever seen and a huge celebrity in her home country and among skating fans. So that will never change even if she retires tomorrow.

Enero

On the Ice
I don't know about Kwan and Slute being tied. I think many would consider five World Championship titles to two and nine national titles to four pretty decisive.

I counted Europeans for Irina as well, which of course is no small feat to win. Irina has (4) National Titles, (7) European Titles and (2) World Titles. Though not "titles" I also counted Irina and Kwan's accomplishments at the Olympics (2) Olympic medals. I think the total comes to Kwan (16) and Irina (15). If Grand Prix Finals titles were thrown in Irina would surpass Kwan. My point, even wiith Kwan overall having (1) title more than Slute, both ladies have outstanding records that are a near match.

As for Yu Na, obviously nobody can say now. How long she competes, how her body holds up - those are the unknown variables. To say nothing of Mao 3.0 and Mirai. :)

Oh I absolutely agree. I guess the point I was trying to make about Yuna is that IMO Michelle and Irina's records don't seem so far out of reach when you have people like Yuna and even Mao on the scene. The reason why Michelle and Irina have the records they have is because of their talent, competitiveness/consistency (Irina, later in her career) and their long careers in skating. Yuna and Mao already have the talent, competitiveness/consistency. If (and I know that's a big if) they can stay in the game for another 4-6 years and maintain/improve their talent etc they will match and even break the records set by Kwan and Slute.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
No skater is perfect. But these SPs come very close:

Michelle Kwan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk

Kim Yuna:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wyQKjvix9Q&feature=related

Sasha Cohen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-cbt1u1uc

Kristi Yamaguchi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KplWMCsgx2Q

No wonder these ladies are my top four :biggrin:

For me, no other ladies of the past 20 years reached this level of near perfection when they were at their best ... But Michelle Kwan was near-perfect the most often so she'll be at the top of my list for a long, long time.

rtureck

Final Flight
SOme people have very funny choices, like Miki Ando for eg. Like... hello?

Anyway in order of merit:

1) Michelle Kwan
Yeap heard it all before but before her I never saw artistry as it was. And after her everyone strove to be like her in terms of artistic expression, phrasing to the music combined with technical merit. Enuff said.
totally agree
2) Yu Na Kim
I think for some reason she will still improve, esp on the artistic front although that is already excellent. I think she will skate to more mature type music and take things to the next level. DOn;'t know if her technical abilities will hold for many years to come though. But she has absolutely nothing to lose.

YuNa wouldn't even make my top 12. She skates enough to win fair and square but so did many skaterse.g. Tara, Shizuka . I definitely put Tara and Shizuka above YuNa when it comes to all time

3) Mao Asada
Shame she is forever under the shadow of her Korean mate, because she could well be the real star had it not been for Her. SHe still has the highest degree of softness on the ice, although not very quick, she is a bit like bubble bath on water or ice. Not to mention the incredible triple axels. We keep forgetting, just because she has done so many of them, how difficult they actually are to land. Go Mao.

4)
Mao will make my top 10. I disagree that she is forever under the shadow of a Korean skater. When they were both young Mao beat her Korean mate many times. Even at present, I can't think of any competition/event that Mao is overshadowed by YuNa. Even at the olympics, yes YuNa won gold and Mao won silver. At every comp there will be a gold medalist and a silver medalist. But this silver medalist made history at least 3 times. First lady skater to land a 3a/2t in the sp, first lady to land two 3as in the lp, and first lady to land 3a/2t in a lp. Wonder how long it will take another lady to break this record. In the next olys there will be another gold medalist, so that record will be broken.

Ito is in my list, first lady to land a 3a in olys, and it took 18 yrs for that record to be broken.

My list:

Michelle Kwan (the whole package)
Midori Ito (REASON given above)
Krist Yamaguchi (world, olys champ in singles, champ in world prs jr, takes a special skater to achieve)
Kat Will (what a record at olsy)
Sonia (record )
Tara (youngest world and olys champ, first and only lady to land 3l/3l in olys)
Mao Asada (set historical record, but more important, iMO she is the most ehtereal skater who ever laced up a pr of skate)
Janet Lynn (definition of beauty and joy on icd)
A tie b/w Chen Lu and Shizuka for 10th (Lu for her beauty and grace on ice, and Divakawa her WOW factor)

Last edited:

mirage

Rinkside
totally agree

YuNa wouldn't even make my top 12. She skates enough to win fair and square but so did many skaterse.g. Tara, Shizuka . I definitely put Tara and Shizuka above YuNa when it comes to all time

Mao will make my top 10. I disagree that she is forever under the shadow of a Korean skater. When they were both young Mao beat her Korean mate many times. Even at present, I can't think of any competition/event that Mao is overshadowed by YuNa. Even at the olympics, yes YuNa won gold and Mao won silver. At every comp there will be a gold medalist and a silver medalist. But this silver medalist made history at least 3 times. First lady skater to land a 3a/2t in the sp, first lady to land two 3as in the lp, and first lady to land 3a/2t in a lp. Wonder how long it will take another lady to break this record. In the next olys there will be another gold medalist, so that record will be broken.

It's just your personal opinion.
I know Mao made her own history.
But Yu-Na is the first woman to break 200 barrier under this judging system.
Of course, she has three world records. (Sp,Lp and total score)
And most of the people remember the gold, not silver. :p

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist

There are always exceptions. Need I remind you of silver medalist Michelle Kwan? ;)

miki88

Medalist
Do you think seriously Mao can be compared to MK?
OMG, MK is 5 time world champion!

Relax. I am just responding to your statement that most people remember the gold, not the silver. I am not comparing any skaters, but I also think it's hard to judge the influence of the current skaters since their careers are not finished yet. By Michelle's first Olympics, she only won one World championship.

mirage

Rinkside
Relax. I am just responding to your statement that most people remember the gold, not the silver. I am not comparing any skaters, but I also think it's hard to judge the influence of the current skaters since their careers are not finished yet. By Michelle's first Olympics, she only won one World championship.

I know what you mean.
Chances are open for every skater.

rtureck

Final Flight

Everything in this thread is about personal opinion, including yours. If most ppl remember gold and not silver then why is MK listed most in this thread, and she is remember by her 1998 silver at olys. Big deal about breaking 2000 mark or 3 world record re marks, that record will be broken soon JMO.
BTW history has demonstrated marks are not that well remembered except in cases of super fans. MK scored most 6.0s under the old system and serously who remembers the total # of 6.0s she has received (except for some die hard fans). Today we are in COP and some super fans may remember the 200s, tomorrow there will be another system and todays COP numbers IMO will be forgotten.

Lets see who and when will break the three triple axel in a ladies olys??? In Ito's case of landing one triple axel, it took 18 years to break.

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
Do you think seriously Mao can be compared to MK?
OMG, MK is a 5 time world champion!

According to this thread most skaters can not be compared to MK, she is listed as
#1 most # of times here. Anyway back to the point that I made which seemed to offend some super fan of a certain Korean skater. Yeah as much as I am a huge fan of Kristi, and she is more of my favorite compare to Midori, I still remember the olys silver medalist Midori Ito for her history setting landing the 3a in 1992 olys. I think some super fan of YuNa is so quick to make such a general statement the gold medalist are remember and not the silver.BTW I remember Elvis' silver and seriously I forgot who won gold that year. I also think Paul's silver medal at olys is more memorable than the gold that year. Janet Lynn does not even have olys gold or silverlmedal and she is in my list of top 10

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
jaJanet Lynn does not even have 1 olys medalnet lynn has and olympic bronze medal from the 1972 olympics.

janet lynn has an olympic bronze medal from the 1972 olympics

mirage

Rinkside
Everything in this thread is about personal opinion, including yours. If most ppl remember gold and not silver then why is MK listed most in this thread, and she is remember by her 1998 silver at olys. Big deal about breaking 2000 mark or 3 world record re marks, that record will be broken soon JMO. Lets see who and when will break the three triple axel in a ladies olys???

Hey~ Mao Asada is not Michelle Kwan.
and do you wanna say Mao will break the 3 world record soon?
I'm looking forward to World in Turin.

rtureck

Final Flight
Hey~ Mao Asada is not Michelle Kwan.
and do you wanna say Mao will break the 3 world record soon?
I'm looking forward to World in Turin.
YuNa is not Mk either according to most ppl in this thread. I am saying no one will break three triple axel in an olys program soon. And I don't care about the marks in a given competition that much, because marks are being broken every year. OTOH true technical achievement may takes years to break. I too am looking forwards to worlds. And I still think some YuNa uber fans are too quick to diss olys silver medalist by sayng only olys gold are remember. BTW, Paul only has 1 olys silver, and no world gold, and i remember his performance more than the gold medalist

mirage

Rinkside
YuNa is not Mk either according to most ppl in this thread. I am saying no one will break three triple axel in an olys program soon. And I don't care about the marks in a given competition that much, because marks are being broken every year. OTOH true technical achievement may takes years to break. I too am looking forwards to worlds. And I still think some YuNa uber fans are too quick to diss olys silver medalist by sayng only olys gold are remember. BTW, Paul only has 1 olys silver, and no world gold, and i remember his performance more than the gold medalist

Do not pretend you aren't a Mao-bot.

Wrlmy

Medalist
The thread title says "your top ten ladies". Ppl have different opinions. Big deal.

If the title said top ten competitors, Witt and Yuna would be my top 2. But since most people including myself interpreted "ladies" as skaters, every bit of subjectivity and preferences would kick in.

I can't believe I didn't include Sasha and Marya B in my original top ten list! I would replace Fumie and Irina with the other two.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Everything in this thread is about personal opinion, including yours. If most ppl remember gold and not silver then why is MK listed most in this thread, and she is remember by her 1998 silver at olys. Big deal about breaking 2000 mark or 3 world record re marks, that record will be broken soon JMO.
BTW history has demonstrated marks are not that well remembered except in cases of super fans. MK scored most 6.0s under the old system and serously who remembers the total # of 6.0s she has received (except for some die hard fans). Today we are in COP and some super fans may remember the 200s, tomorrow there will be another system and todays COP numbers IMO will be forgotten.

Lets see who and when will break the three triple axel in a ladies olys??? In Ito's case of landing one triple axel, it took 18 years to break.

yes, but it would be interesting to hear your opinion on why Yuna doesn't make the cut. You say you are unimpressed with her record breaking but it'd it interesting to hear what it is about her skating that doesn't do it for you...

For me, Yuna makes the cut even though her legacy isn't clear yet because of her musicality and the easiness of her skating - even though she is doing such difficult jumps! Dance Macabre is one of the best choreographed SPs I've ever seen and the way Yuna performs the footwork makes my heart pound.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm only listing names from when I started watching the sport, both Olympic eligible and professional skating, back in 1992.

In no particular order:

Michelle Kwan
Katarina Witt
Midori Ito
Kristi Yamaguchi
Joannie Rochette
Yuka Sato
Maria Butyrskaya
Yu-Na Kim
Nicole Bobek
Carolina Kostner
Josee Chouinard (so, I cheated and named 11! :p)

Granted, some of these skaters may not have the best competitive track records, but I always found them interesting and exciting in their own unique ways and I either loved the majority of their programs, their athleticism, or their presentation. :)

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight

Geez. Chill, will you? You don't have to trample all over another skater to defend your favorite. I think very few people will remember Yu-na for setting a specific number of world records. They will, however, remember that she set consecutive world records, dominating the sport for two years with a strong combination of athleticism and artistry, to win the OGM as the first favorite to do so in a very long time. They won't remember the 228, but they will remember that Yu-na won with TWO clean, memorable programs, a feat very few have accomplished. Everyone here gives credit to Mao for her feat. Why not also give Yu-na credit where due? It's not like anyone's trying to make you name Yu-na your all time favorite.