Joubert Wins French Test Skate (From Source- No OFFICIAL Announcement) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Joubert Wins French Test Skate (From Source- No OFFICIAL Announcement)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Does this mean you think Evan totally deserved the monstrous PCS he received in Vancouver?

I think Evan absolutely outskated everyone but Dai.
Evan beat Oda and by alot. He crushed the weak Joubert and was smoother and cleaner than Lambiel.

Yea - I get many don't like Evan's style - but watch him take steps into a 3Lz and land it cleanly - and then waych Plushy circle the rink twice for a 3 Lz nowhere near as good a Yuna.

Of course Evan deserved to win in Vancouver because he has the abilty to compete. Skaters like Tomas and Dai may be better but they ALWAYS screw up and find a way to lose.

BOP was right and once said 8-10 skaters are better than Evan. But they are only better on paper - or at Galas. They are weak competitors and Evan beats most of the men the way a big guy takes candy from a baby.

How can any one see this any differently? And Plushy was the one with ridiculous pcs. For what ? He has no TR, weak, weak CH, he ignores the music so his IN should be low, and his SS is mediocre. Watch his steps - not only simple but sloppy too. Plushy should not have been Silver ahead of Dai and was lucky to medal.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Evan absolutely outskated everyone but Dai.
Evan beat Oda and by alot. He crushed the weak Joubert and was smoother and cleaner than Lambiel.

Yea - I get many don't like Evan's style - but watch him take steps into a 3Lz and land it cleanly - and then waych Plushy circle the rink twice for a 3 Lz nowhere near as good a Yuna.

Of course Evan deserved to win in Vancouver because he has the abilty to compete. Skaters like Tomas and Dai may be better but they ALWAYS screw up and find a way to lose.

BOP was right and once siad 8-10 skaters are better than Evan. But they are only better on paper - or at Galas. They are weak competitors and Evan beats most of the men the way a big guy takes candy froma baby.

How can any one see this any differently?

I actually agree with this, I just think in general, everyone was in the top 5 was overscored at the Olympics. I still think Evan deserved to win, but I thought his, Plushenko's, Lambiel's, and Chan's scores all should have been lower and closer to the scores of Dai and Oda. And then Jeremy skates pretty poorly and he gets 150 points, which was essentially the same score Kozuka got for his gorgeous FS which I didn't think was fair. And Samuel and Tomas were absolutely slaughtered for their freeskates which weren't even that much worse than Abbott's, get PCS lower than the 18 year olds, and don't break 120 in the FS? I was just a bit confused.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I stand by Ponsero's choice not to appear in test skate. I hope he is not retiring though.
I think it was good for Brian to have this for physical and mental reasons, but the rest two competed in Euros , did their due, it was unnecessary I think. Unless they were making a test for all 4, including Amodio. I love Amodio and I can get why they promote him, but either have a test for all places or a test for Jouby only. I think Ponsero and Preubert must feel a little abandoned by Federation. And they both skated really well at Euros.
Looking forward to Jouby reloaded in Worlds and my Jouby friends to be happy:)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I actually agree with this, I just think in general, everyone was in the top 5 was overscored at the Olympics. I still think Evan deserved to win, but I thought his, Plushenko's, Lambiel's, and Chan's scores all should have been lower and closer to the scores of Dai and Oda. And then Jeremy skates pretty poorly and he gets 150 points, which was essentially the same score Kozuka got for his gorgeous FS which I didn't think was fair. And Samuel and Tomas were absolutely slaughtered for their freeskates which weren't even that much worse than Abbott's, get PCS lower than the 18 year olds, and don't break 120 in the FS? I was just a bit confused.

You make some good points and it is exactly what Bianchetti was saying about pcs - they are mostly scored by skating order/reputation.

But don't forget - or take another look - skaters like Patrick and Jeremy are doing things that Plushy and Joubert can only dream about. Their blade work and SS, IN and CH are so, so superior to almost all of the skaters they should always get higher pcs, even when they miss their jumps.

Compared to Patrick's edges, plushy and Joubert appear to be on double bladed training skates.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You make some good points and it is exactly what Bianchetti was saying about pcs - they are mostly scored by skating order/reputation.

But don't forget - or take another look - skaters like Patrick and Jeremy are doing things that Plushy and Joubert can only dream about. Their blade work and SS, IN and CH are so, so superior to almost all of the skaters they should always get higher pcs, even when they miss their jumps.

Compared to Patrick's edges, plushy and Joubert appear to be on double bladed training skates.

Yeah, well call me crazy but I actually think Daisuke, Tomas, and Jeremy are the three best male skaters competing right now but unfortunately they are awful competitors which allows the more boring skaters like Plushenko, Lysacek, Oda, and until recently Joubert (he's not that consistent but always seems to do just enough to hang onto a medal, except at the olympics) to continually beat them because they have such issues putting two programs together. It's really a shame because they are SO GOOD and I always expect so much out of them and they usually don't quite deliver. Oh well, props to Evan and Plushy for not pop, lock, and dropping like the other guys.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Did anyone expect Joubert to fail this test? :confused:

Not even himself.:p

But it has given him some confidence for going into the Worlds. He said he's happy that he sees his federation is still trusting him.:)

Why don't you compare everything Patrick does to those two?;)

Last edited:

BlackAxel

Final Flight
A lot of the commentators says Tomas has great edge quality too and yet his PCS are just average.

Tomas will continue to get mediocre PCS as long as he implodes in his performances. When Tomas can finally "get the monkey off his back," he will receive the PCS tht he rightfully deserves.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Yeah, well call me crazy but I actually think Daisuke, Tomas, and Jeremy are the three best male skaters competing right now but unfortunately they are awful competitors which allows the more boring skaters like Plushenko, Lysacek, Oda, and until recently Joubert (he's not that consistent but always seems to do just enough to hang onto a medal, except at the olympics) to continually beat them because they have such issues putting two programs together. It's really a shame because they are SO GOOD and I always expect so much out of them and they usually don't quite deliver. Oh well, props to Evan and Plushy for not pop, lock, and dropping like the other guys.

ITA, if only those three have the consistency and nerve of steel like Michelle Kwan, they would have been muliple world medalist (in Jeremy & Thomas) and/or world champ (Takahashi). =(

Maybe she should definietly do a lecture and train them on how to stay focus during competition. lol

silverlake22

Record Breaker
ITA, if only those three have the consistency and nerve of steel like Michelle Kwan, they would have been muliple world medalist (in Jeremy & Thomas) and/or world champ (Takahashi). =(

Maybe she should definietly do a lecture and train them on how to stay focus during competition. lol

Yeahh, that would be a good idea. I'm crossing my fingers for those three at worlds but trying not to get my hopes up. Silly boys, don't you know you could probably beat Plushenko (or would deserve to beat him) if you just did two clean programs for once? They just need to go out there and realize they are some of the best skaters in the world and prove it to the world. Abbott beat Lysacek at nationals two years in a row and at 2008 Euros Tomas beat Lambiel and Joubert, they should have confidence.

Wicked

Final Flight
But it has given him some confidence for going into the Worlds. He said he's happy that he sees his federation is still trusting him.:)

That's an interesting quote. If I was him, I would have thought if my federation still trusted me, they wouldn't have made me do a test skate in the first place. I'd love to see Brian skate well at Worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That's an interesting quote. If I was him, I would have thought if my federation still trusted me, they wouldn't have made me do a test skate in the first place. I'd love to see Brian skate well at Worlds.

Poor Brian, he has had a rough year. Hope he can redeem himself and medal at worlds, I think he really needs this.

jennylovskt

Medalist

Actually, Brian himself asked for the test skate, not his federation. Brian felt so bad for how he did at the Olympics. He thought he might have blocked other French skaters' chances who might have skated better than he did. So he asked the federation for this test skate in order to give every top French skaters an equal chance. But, as expected, the French federation chose Brian. Ponsero didn't even bother to show up for the test skate.

(I obtained these information from my European friends.)

Last edited:

rosee

On the Ice
There are extracts of this "test" here: http://jt.france3.fr/regions/popup.php?id=c86a_1214part1 (starts around 11:40) and here in a Preaubert interview: http://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/breves2010/20100316_115743_preaubert-fataliste.html

Let's not make Brian the victim here, like jennylovskt said he asked for the "test" himself.
This test was more of a PR work, that's why it was held only a week before Worlds. What was on almost every newspaper in France today? A small article in the sport section about Brian going to worlds because he won the "test"...
BTW There were no judges at this "test" only federation members and....journalists.
Thankfully not a lot of people were fooled and some journalist even called it a "complete farce". Alban himself said that the "test" should have taken place on the 1st of April :laugh: