Ladies Preview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Preview

aurora100

Final Flight
I should have wrote:

It could be her swan song so I'm hoping that she'll finish her career on a high note if it's her last performance.

Here is an article on CBC website about how difficult it has been for Yuna to go back into training at first, after the Olympics. I'm kind of sad as I am convinced more and more that she will not be able to continue beyond the Worlds. It is hard to push for perfection, when you have put down two perfect programs at the biggest Stage in the sport. My money is on that the worlds is going to be her last competitive career. I am sure she will retire after that. This is one reason, I did not want Yuna to win OGM because I would like to see her get better and better. But I can't be selfish. For this 20 year old she spent 3/4 of her life on ice. She deserves to experience other things in life. Same thing can be said for Virtue and Moir. With Shen and Zhao, it is completely different scenario.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2010/03/22/sp-skating-worlds-kim-yu-na.html

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Here is an article on CBC website about how difficult it has been for Yuna to go back into training at first, after the Olympics. I'm kind of sad as I am convinced more and more that she will not be able to continue beyond the Worlds. It is hard to push for perfection, when you have put down two perfect programs at the biggest Stage in the sport. My money is on that the worlds is going to be her last competitive career. I am sure she will retire after that. This is one reason, I did not want Yuna to win OGM because I would like to see her get better and better. But I can't be selfish. For this 20 year old she spent 3/4 of her life on ice. She deserves to experience other things in life. Same thing can be said for Virtue and Moir. With Shen and Zhao, it is completely different scenario.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2010/03/22/sp-skating-worlds-kim-yu-na.html

I think Yuna will retire for a little while then come back, maybe for 2014 Olympics or maybe before that. She's so famous that it will be hard for her to live a "normal" life, but I do forsee her becoming a coach at somepoint in the future.

aurora100

Final Flight
I think Yuna will retire for a little while then come back, maybe for 2014 Olympics or maybe before that. She's so famous that it will be hard for her to live a "normal" life, but I do forsee her becoming a coach at somepoint in the future.

I agree with you. I think it is possible to see her for 2014 Olympics. And I believe she will stay in the skating world for a long time, just not as a competitor. I think she will do a lot of shows in Korea and around the world before she ever settles down for coaching. She seems to be more interested in making a financial contribution so that there can be better training facilities and programs. With all the $ she makes she can do that. Korea government is also talking about making her the front person in their bid for 2018 Olympics for Pyungchang, Korea.

I just think she will take a break after the Worlds, and once that happens, there is no guarantee she will return to World/Olympic level skating, since so much could happen to her and so much new talent could fill the space, even within Korea and around the world. And that is not a bad thing for figure skating. I just would like to see more of Yuna in her top form and that's what we will miss.

ryoko

Rinkside

I don't think this is the case at all. During most recent fan meeting after the olympics Yuna said she would love to use Tango de Roxanne again as a gala program. Why would she say that if she wasn't thinking about continuing? This is too good of a talent to let go at age 20, don't you think?? I hope (and believe) that she will stay in the field as long as she could and build career like Kwan did.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
It's strange, but I'm not worried about Mirai as much as I was worried about her at Nats and the Olympics. The vibe that I've gotten from her is that this is her "bonus" season; one where all she has to do is focus on doing her best, and not shoot for a particular finish. She wasn't expecting to go to the Olympics, she definitely wasn't expecting to finish fourth, and medal at Worlds? Yeah, not on the radar.

Mirai has given me nothing to think that she might revert back to her '09 self all of a sudden. I'm quite calm in regards to her, really. Techincally, all she NEEDS to do is skate well enough to secure the US three spots next year. She proved what she needed to prove at the Olympics; Worlds is bonus. I think she's the kind of girl that gains more confidence with each success, so hopefully she's going into Torino knowing that she has Vancouver under her belt, and she'll do just fine.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I don't think this is the case at all. During most recent fan meeting after the olympics Yuna said she would love to use Tango de Roxanne again as a gala program. Why would she say that if she wasn't thinking about continuing? This is too good of a talent to let go at age 20, don't you think?? I hope (and believe) that she will stay in the field as long as she could and build career like Kwan did.

If she goes pro, all of her programs will be gala (i.e. non-competitive) programs.
I don't think anyone's going to disagree that "she's too good of a talent to let go at age 20". This said, if she can't find maintain motivation after reaching her ultimate goal (Olympic Gold, and with a world record, to boot), then it's out of our control, isn't it?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If she goes pro, all of her programs will be gala (i.e. non-competitive) programs.
I don't think anyone's going to disagree that "she's too good of a talent to let go at age 20". This said, if she can't find maintain motivation after reaching her ultimate goal (Olympic Gold, and with a world record, to boot), then it's out of our control, isn't it?

The way the Olympics fall makes it tricky, she will be 23 for Sochi, and while that is not old, some people do retire at a younger age than that. Most people don't retire before they are 20 though, but if she wants to go to college and try to live a more normal life, this is the time she should try to do that. If she ends up missing skating I'm sure she will return to competitive ice. If she does retire though, it will give other skaters a chance to actually win competitions. I will miss her greatly if she does retire, but I'm sure we'll continue to see a lot of her in the skating world, whether it be as a pro skater, competitive skater, or coach.

jovani2293

On the Ice
I personally am going for Miki and her triple triple. She looks different in practice. She looks so determined to land it and rotate it. It looks cleaner and cleaner, even more then the ones before the olympics.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I personally am going for Miki and her triple triple. She looks different in practice. She looks so determined to land it and rotate it. It looks cleaner and cleaner, even more then the ones before the olympics.

I like Miki too, I think she will surprise us and be really good here, I think she really wants a medal. I commend her for trying such a difficult 3-3, 3lz-3lo, as it is very gutsy and no one else will attempt one

ryoko

Rinkside

I guess. I know she wants to travel in Canada. But back to the new gala, she was talking about gala in future (if not next) competition.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I like Miki too, I think she will surprise us and be really good here, I think she really wants a medal. I commend her for trying such a difficult 3-3, 3lz-3lo, as it is very gutsy and no one else will attempt one

I really don't get Miki. She has been underrotating jumps, her choreography is so so, her spins and spirals, while better than earlier years, are not that great. If she misses her jumps she is just a mediocre skater and that is how she has been skating lately. I would rather watch Lepisito, Nagasu or even Flatt.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I really don't get Miki. She has been underrotating jumps, her choreography is so so, her spins and spirals, while better than earlier years, are not that great. If she misses her jumps she is just a mediocre skater and that is how she has been skating lately. I would rather watch Lepisito, Nagasu or even Flatt.

Yep. But I'd even rather watch Korpi

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Former world champion PCS bonus. Brian Joubert gets it too.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

But will she? How many times has she watered down her programs in competition, especially this season. I am getting rather frustrated IMHO.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
With a new set of judges if Miki and Rachael skate SP's like they did in Vancouver they could find themselves with much lower marks. I thought their SP scores were quite generous in Vancouver.

I agree with Janetfan. Miki and Rachael were generously scored in their SPs in Vancouver. I could see them finish even lower. Miki hasn't skated her best since the GP series. Plus the judges might favor puting at least one European in there....enter Lepisto and her lack of jumps but pretty skating. I actually think Suzuki has surpassed Miki and might actually get the scores she deserves.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
But will she? How many times has she watered down her programs in competition, especially this season. I am getting rather frustrated IMHO.

I think where she just finished 5th at the Olympics and saw that Yuna was perfect, she'll step it back up here. Miki is good at rising to the occasion.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Maybe Miki just nervous at Olympics bc of her bad experience from Torino. 5th place is not bad, better than 15th place!! She just being extremly cautious not to make a mistake and it reflect in her skater. She can redeem herself here, and if she attack her program like last year, there is no way she will be behind Lepisto or Flatt. But there is Marai who will be attemping more difficult jumps layout and who can milk alot of points on spins and spiral. I say bronze for Marai.