Ice Dance Preview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Preview

Clover

Rinkside
Can you give us an example? .

That's easy - look at last year's worlds. No American judge. Take out the Russian judge and replace him with an American judge. Do you really think Domnina/Shabalin would have won gold with that mistake filled performance if there was no Russian judge on the panel? Do you really think an American judge would have placed them first? :laugh:

[and I also agree that Davis/White might have got the bronze if an American judge was there]. Judges have a big influence on results.

piano18

Rinkside
That said, I don't think their was a Canadian judge at the Olympics for the OD or FD and V/M won those by huge scores, getting multiple tens on the PCS (four) and straight threes on all three lifts. Most people think it's a D/W vs V/M race for gold, and a three/four way race for bronze, and I concur.

There was a Canadian judge in the OD but not FD (no American or Russian judge in FD either)...so the FD panel in Vancouver was most fair.:thumbsup:

btw the americans didn't have a judge last yr so its only fair, i guess Canada has none...besides the German judge who sat on the CD and FD panels in Vancouver gushed about V/M after their skate, if he's on the Worlds panel they'll be ok.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno. How much can one judge change the results? Third and fourth were so close so I can buy that, but 1.2 points separated D/S from B/A. I'm genuinely curious, especially since the top and bottom marks are thrown out.

herios

Medalist
That's easy - look at last year's worlds. No American judge. Take out the Russian judge and replace him with an American judge. Do you really think Domnina/Shabalin would have won gold with that mistake filled performance if there was no Russian judge on the panel? Do you really think an American judge would have placed them first? :laugh:

[and I also agree that Davis/White might have got the bronze if an American judge was there]. Judges have a big influence on results.
No it was not sarrcasm. One judge didn't make the difference between D/S and B / A either. B/A lost to D/S in each segment. You guys will hang onto the conspiracy theories forever, until your skaters will win. Give it a break

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
B/A beat D/S in the OD in Los Angeles. I hope you don't mean me in general (conspiracy theories). I do think one judge can make a difference in 0.04 (the difference between D/W and V/M).