19 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER

20 Stacey KEMP / David KING GBR

21 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG CHN

Warm-Up Group 7

22 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS

23 Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV RUS

24 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN

25 Jessica DUBE / Bryce DAVISON CAN

Qualification rule: The best 16 skaters after Short Program will advance to the next segment.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/SEG005.HTM

Last edited:

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Thanks! Unfortunate draw for ISR....They are just never gonna get a chance to skate their LP! Especially now that they are only taking the top 16 after the short...Why not 20 like the other disciplines? Argh! So frustrating!

MagicFairy

On the Ice
Thanks! Unfortunate draw for ISR....They are just never gonna get a chance to skate their LP! Especially now that they are only taking the top 16 after the short...Why not 20 like the other disciplines? Argh! So frustrating!

This new rule is soooo horrible! After this draw, I think the ISR team has no chance to skate the FP :(

Dramahkween

On the Ice
I know! It's so unfortunate, because even if they skate clean, with this skate order it just wont matter :-(

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I know! It's so unfortunate, because even if they skate clean, with this skate order it just wont matter :-(

To be honest, with what I've seen from them on Euros I dont think they even had a chance to make the top 20...:disapp:

Now, Im ok with the slight reduction of the number of skaters for the LP/FD, it gives the SP a much important status as a previous stage that finally functions as a preliminary qualifier like in other sports competitions. What I really dont get and believe is simply stupid , is the long and dreadful break between first and second group in the LP. They are punishing the second tier skaters and what for, how does that saves costs??:think:

Last edited:

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Well, in their defense, Euros was their second competition ever and judging by some of the practice videos I've seen, they have already definitely improved and there were many changes made to their SP...They have been together for less than a year and neither of them was a pair skater before this...So of course, I don't expect a Top 20 finish, but I'm just saying that with this draw, there isn't even a remote chance....

As far as the reduction of skaters goes...I agree that there should be SOME reduction, but I think 20 would be much more fair than 16!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Interesting draw for Dube and Davidson. I wonder if this event is thier last. Jessica's triple Sal has been MIA for years, I wonder if they will change it to triple toes or double axels here.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Well, in their defense, Euros was their second competition ever and judging by some of the practice videos I've seen, they have already definitely improved and there were many changes made to their SP...They have been together for less than a year and neither of them was a pair skater before this...So of course, I don't expect a Top 20 finish, but I'm just saying that with this draw, there isn't even a remote chance....

Well with a team as new as they are, this should be taken as a gaining experience only event. Are they aiming for Sochi? I remember the ISR Sacks/Akolzin team in 2008 that also teamed up just before worlds and after the bad results they split.

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Yes, they are aiming for Sochi, and just as you said, this should be taken as a chance to gain experience...I just think it's a shame that teams like them and many others do not get a chance to showcase themselves by skating their LP's at these events...And it is doing these teams a disservice because they are not getting the experience they need in skating the LP on a world stage!

gold12345

Medalist
Does anyone know why Della Monica/Kocon aren't going?

Now, Im ok with the slight reduction of the number of skaters for the LP/FD, it gives the SP a much important status as a previous stage that finally functions as a preliminary qualifier like in other sports competitions.

But why should a short program be a preliminary qualifier? Unlike other sports, the two phases of skating, the SP and LP are completely different from each other and are added together. It's not like, say, short track speed skating where they skate the same exact races in qualification and the scores are erased heading in the Final round. I hate how only 16 teams get to skate LPs. It increases the chance that a team with a nice LP who perhaps has a really bad day in the SP won't get a chance to showcase it. Annoying.

Last edited:

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Does anyone know why Della Monica/Kocon aren't going?

But why should a short program be a preliminary qualifier? Unlike other sports, the two phases of skating, the SP and LP are completely different from each other and are added together. It's not like, say, short track speed skating where they skate the same exact races in qualification and the scores are erased heading in the Final round. I hate how only 16 teams get to skate LPs. It increases the chance that a team with a nice LP who perhaps has a really bad day in the SP won't get a chance to showcase it. Annoying.

AGREED! If the two scores are added together in order to get to the final score, then I completely agree that everyone should have a chance to skate BOTH programs. It's also unfair in the sense that the teams that do not get to skate their LP's leave the competition with a skewed score. People look at the other team's final scores and then compare those to those who did not advance to the LP and wonder why some teams only had scores in the 30's while others have scores upwards of 80's-90's...Totally unfair!

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Its personal opinion of course, what is annoying to some is refreshing to others. I like that feelling of the skaters knowing they are among the top competitors and made it to the final stage (LP/FD). Whenever I watch a SP/OD event with casual fans and they ask "¿how much are competing?" and I answered 25-27 and then they ask how many will skate at the LP and I say the top 24, they all laugh or put a perplex face as "Then what's the point of doing this round?" In the skating world of today where SP and OD are basically the same as the long programs but with less elements (I disagree about them being completely different) , the qualifying aspect surely gives them a level of relevance. And if you had a bad day on the SP and didnt advance, thats tough and I'll definetly feel sorry for the skater, but thats sports and thats life.

Plus we can't deny the logistics factor. Can you imagine a LP of 55 ladies (the number of entries this year)!!!!!!

And for the Record in the results for the skaters that didnt reach the LP in the score box it always says FNR (Final not reached), there¡s no such a drop in scores and frankly is not that confusing.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
Interesting draw for Dube and Davidson. I wonder if this event is thier last. Jessica's triple Sal has been MIA for years, I wonder if they will change it to triple toes or double axels here.
I hope they skate well if this is their last competition. If they skate like they did in Vancouver, they are not likely to get such generous scores. This pair was so promising. It might be time to move on for them.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno. I've heard a number of people suggest that D/D are over, but they're still very young - they were the youngest pair in the top ten, and even if they were to continue until Sochi, they'd still be younger than all the medalists this year. It's interesting to see people assume they won't improve.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Weird to have Kemp & King right in between S&S and the Zhangs.

About D&D, I think people might have given up on them because they seem to have regressed a bit the last couple of seasons, from a world bronze to the back half of the top 10. Who knows though.. they could get better..

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Weird to have Kemp & King right in between S&S and the Zhangs.

About D&D, I think people might have given up on them because they seem to have regressed a bit the last couple of seasons, from a world bronze to the back half of the top 10. Who knows though.. they could get better..

I guess. I just sorta ssumed their worlds bronze was a fluke moment - S/Z retired, P/T had the URs, and really, very few of the top teams skated cleanly. I'm just not ready to write them off (even though yeah - I don't know how long they'll skate for. I know he's looking ahead to after figure skating).

gold12345

Medalist
Its personal opinion of course, what is annoying to some is refreshing to others. I like that feelling of the skaters knowing they are among the top competitors and made it to the final stage (LP/FD). Whenever I watch a SP/OD event with casual fans and they ask "¿how much are competing?" and I answered 25-27 and then they ask how many will skate at the LP and I say the top 24, they all laugh or put a perplex face as "Then what's the point of doing this round?" In the skating world of today where SP and OD are basically the same as the long programs but with less elements (I disagree about them being completely different) , the qualifying aspect surely gives them a level of relevance. And if you had a bad day on the SP and didnt advance, thats tough and I'll definetly feel sorry for the skater, but thats sports and thats life.

Plus we can't deny the logistics factor. Can you imagine a LP of 55 ladies (the number of entries this year)!!!!!!

Oh, no, I definitely wouldn't want to see 55 Ladies LPs either. If someone asked me what the point was of the short program, I would just say that the SP and LP are two differently choreographed programs that present different challenges for the skaters. The LP is obviously a much greater test of endurance, and the SP is more about being about to cram many elements into a short period of time. Some skaters are great SP skaters and abysmal LP skaters. Some skaters are the opposite. I see no reason why we can't allow at least 20 skaters per discipline to skate LPs. Skaters spend a lot of money and time choreographing and training LPs, so it would be nice if as many skaters as possible were allowed to compete them. I'm not saying let 55 people skate, but the 17th ranked pair team may be decent enough where they deserve to skate a LP.

Gymgirll

Rinkside
I think about D/D that they're having personal issues between them that are affecting them in the ice too. It also seems like she doesn't want to continue skating. He might find a new partner if that's the case. also I just can't see them fighting S/S, P/T or K/S unless they all have a very bad day.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I liked this Greek pair :). Too bad about the failed throw jump, but they were good to watch. :) I hope to see more of them in the future. There was a natural gracefulness there.