Which of the Top Ladies of Today, Get to you emotionally? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which of the Top Ladies of Today, Get to you emotionally?

I don't fully understand "get to you emotionally" part. Many here seem to be including skaters who excite them.

For me, skaters who inspire me certain emotion that leaves me teary-eyed include Michelle Kwan, Matt Savoie, Elena and Anton, G/P.

And there are skaters who leave me awestruck like Sasha, Yuna, Mirai, Meryl and Charie, Yags, and Midori Ito.

Lambiel could do both on his very best.
It's just about the Olys which I inadvertenly left out. Many skaters mentioned were about favorites or countrymen. One of the bullets in the PC scores which we really never talk about, is the Character of the Music. That's not necessarily the character of the story or the use of ballet arms. In other words, did a particular skater fulfill all the demands listed in the PC requirements of Ice Dance, and then how well did that skater put herself into the music to make it hers. Think the Duchesnays and Kwan's Concerto Aranjez.

lavender

Record Breaker
I do admit to re- watching Mirai's Olympic programs more than the other ladies. My emotional connection to skating has gone by the wayside for me since my favorite retired.

This is how I feel. However I've have a few moments from the guys, S/Z and S/S. Rarely does it happen with the ladies until Mirai.

For me, skaters who inspire me certain emotion that leaves me teary-eyed include Michelle Kwan, Matt Savoie, Elena and Anton, G/P.

I like this list. I miss those days.

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I have a strange submission for this thread. The skater who really get me emotionally these days is Alissa Czisny. Her performance gets me emotionally but for different reasons at different times. When she does her spins and spirals, it get me teary because they are done so beautifully with her long limbs unfurled in exquisite positions. However, when she jumps, it brings tears of frustrations because she's unable to do what she should be able to do in competition. Does that make sense? One last note, it brought the emotion of rage out of me when that evil Andrea Joyce was harassing Alissa so cruelly after the SP at 2010 US nationals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, it's interesting to read everyone's responses since they're so varied.

I can't say I've honestly had an emotional connection to any skater, or even a performance. At least not on TV, anyway.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I've said it all along. Anyone who doesn't skate to Carmen is leaving 10-12 CoP points on the table right there! ;)
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I recall many times you have.

o.t.t. Marai and Rach really get me in companion, THey are the most emotion charged of skaters for. It makes me miss seeing Kimmie, Katy, Taylor and Ashley who also are great emotionally to watch just not where I see them often. Joannie I had never seen skate like that before and I do not think I will again. Yu-na is great to watch and a great skater yet she seems to be a product of a federation more than an individual that has achieved greatness rather than been trained how to obtain it. Mao is starting to show charisma that I hadn't seen before and think there is more to come.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I find that it's really hard to tell how I feel about a skater until I see her perform live. And as of now that's a fairly small list. Out of the current "eligibles" I've only seen Cohen and Meissner live.

Nagasu seems to have a carefree joy (when she wants it to be there) that does come across on TV, but at the same time, while I enjoy it, it doesn't GRAB me. But that's on TV. Looks like I might get the chance to find out how she is live in a few weeks though.

Meissner I found engaging live, not so much on TV. Wagner is just OK I think (on TV, haven't seen her live). I agree with you about Yuna. She draws comparisons to MK and I think the latter was muuuch better at connecting with the audience (and "y'all know" I'm not her fan). I guess I can't relate to Kim at all and it makes her come out flat for me (again, on TV). Of the final group at the Olympics only Nagasu had my true attention. (Flatt wasn't bad, either, and I was looking to see if Mao Asada would land her 3As, but other than that, despite it being such a well-skated event, it lacked the suspense that the 1998, 2002 and 2006 events had IMHO- and even the 2010 men's event, which I caught the tail end of to see if Lysacek would win)

Last edited:

ykbest

Spectator
Yuna, I just cann't take my eyes off when I am watching her performance. every single her movements and elements just so draw me in.
And Joannie, she made me cry. Her performance at Oly.. :cry:

Nadia01

Final Flight
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I recall many times you have.

o.t.t. Marai and Rach really get me in companion, THey are the most emotion charged of skaters for. It makes me miss seeing Kimmie, Katy, Taylor and Ashley who also are great emotionally to watch just not where I see them often. Joannie I had never seen skate like that before and I do not think I will again. Yu-na is great to watch and a great skater yet she seems to be a product of a federation more than an individual that has achieved greatness rather than been trained how to obtain it. Mao is starting to show charisma that I hadn't seen before and think there is more to come.

I'm surprised that you feel that way about Yuna since Korean federation still doesn't care that much about figure skating, and it doesn't have any national program or anything like that to cultivate figure skating talent in Korea. As a matter of fact, there's no rink for figure skating training in Korea, while Kr Federation built two for their speed skaters. There are no top coaches in Korea, or choreographer for that matter.

I find Mao to be more of a "product of a federation" in that JP federation has not only a very structured program and support for figure skaters but it also meddles a lot with skaters. For example, when Mao did poorly in Russia, the head of her federation wanted to meet her, etc.

I can't say I've honestly had an emotional connection to any skater, or even a performance. At least not on TV, anyway.

I think there are two kinds of emotions to consider, going along with the idea that figure skating is part sport, part performance art.

Sometimes I can get all het up cheering for my fave to win, in the same way that I might get "emotional" over the Michigan-Ohio State football game. Then again I can get all maudlin in the sense of, aw, isn't that pretty. When they both happen together, that's kind of cool.

This year, I have to admit that none of the ladies really grabbed me. But the Olympic dance event drew me in with respect to both categories of emotion (even though in the end it turned out pretty much how everyone expected.)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think there are two kinds of emotions to consider, going along with the idea that figure skating is part sport, part performance art.

Sometimes I can get all het up cheering for my fave to win, in the same way that I might get "emotional" over the Michigan-Ohio State football game. Then again I can get all maudlin in the sense of, aw, isn't that pretty. When they both happen together, that's kind of cool.

This year, I have to admit that none of the ladies really grabbed me. But the Olympic dance event drew me in with respect to both categories of emotion (even though in the end it turned out pretty much how everyone expected.)

Are there only two kinds of emotions?
We all have different favorites but here are a few moments that got me:

1. Joannie Rochette - my gosh, as if skating on home ice and being a medal favorite wasn't enough pressure.........
I thought watching Joannie's SP was one of the most emotional skating moments I can ever remember.

2. Yuna Kim - sure she skated like a dream, but has anyone ever had so much pressure on them to win the OGM? Perhaps - but Yuna was expected to deliver and she did.
I thought after she finished her LP - seeing her fighting to hold back tears of joy and relief was quite an emotional Olympic moment.

3. Mirai - she is my favorite so I can't leave her out. How far back do we have to go to recall another Lady who skated with such youthful charm and exhuberance? Probably to Tara in '98.

If none of these three (or any of the others) got to you at all I would say you left your heart in SLC, or maybe even Nagano.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are there only two kinds of emotions?
We all have different favorites but here are a few moments that got me:

1. Joannie Rochette - my gosh, as if skating on home ice and being a medal favorite wasn't enough pressure.........
I thought watching Joannie's SP was one of the most emotional skating moments I can ever remember.

2. Yuna Kim - sure she skated like a dream, but has anyone ever had so much pressure on them to win the OGM? Perhaps - but Yuna was expected to deliver and she did.
I thought after she finished her LP - seeing her fighting to hold back tears of joy and relief was quite an emotional Olympic moment.

3. Mirai - she is my favorite so I can't leave her out. How far back do we have to go to recall another Lady who skated with such youthful charm and exhuberance? Probably to Tara in '98.

If none of these three (or any of the others) got to you at all I would say you left your heart in SLC, or maybe even Nagano.

Those 3 got to me the most at the Olympics too! I can't believe I still haven't seen the LPs of Kostner, Suzuki, or Lepisto. From reports and protocols I've read, Caro would have made me cry, Akiko would have made me smile, and Laura would have surprised me with what may be her best LP in competition to this point. Gotta love NBC's Olympic coverage! :disapp::rolleye::scowl::banging: