Dai may try a quad flip at World | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dai may try a quad flip at World

key65man

Rinkside
It's not just because the media puts it that way.
There are several things that I often hear in Mao's interviews:
1. She wants to be "perfect" or make "no mistakes."
2. She wants to improve and challenge herself every year.
3. How much she feels strongly about 3A.
4. She wants to win OGM.

Also, not only 3A has always been in her program, but also there has been some addition to that, such as steps going into 3A (06-07), two 3As in LP (08-09), and then 3A in SP (09-10).

When she was in a great slump earlier this season, ppl suggested that she should ditch the heavy programs and the three 3As plan. But she was like "If I give up, what I have worked for last season and earlier this season are going to be in vein." That's what Dai said around the Olympics, too: If he gives up the quad, what he had worked for throughout the season is going to be in vein.

In Vancouver, Dai had to try a quad in LP to win the gold with Plushy finishing ahead of him in SP. This time, the situation is different, which is why I was willing to give him credit for it instead of thinking that he is doing sort of lip service or saying it for publicity. And, I hope he doesn't try a quad this time. He deserves the championship and doesn't need to risk it.

As for Mao, all the reasons you gave do not suggest that she would have tried 3A in Vancouver if she could win the gold without it. Well, at least, you don't sound having too big an issue with practicality of it.

bibi24

Final Flight
Dai said with the Flip there's not as much movement as the toeloop so he doesn't have to think as much. Also some jumps he had trouble with in practice, but in actual competition and doing the flow of the program he is confident :biggrin: (SP morning practice he had some trouble but pulled off another brilliant EYE)

Go, Dai! Save the quad for FS.

dun do the quad! j/k, hehe whatever decision he's satisfied with I'm happy.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
In Vancouver, Dai had to try a quad in LP to win the gold with Plushy finishing ahead of him in SP. This time, the situation is different, which is why I was willing to give him credit for it instead of thinking that he is doing sort of lip service or saying it for publicity. And, I hope he doesn't try a quad this time. He deserves the championship and doesn't need to risk it.

As for Mao, all the reasons you gave do not suggest that she would have tried 3A in Vancouver if she could win the gold without it. Well, at least, you don't sound having too big an issue with practicality of it.

No, I don't really.
Plush, Dai, and Joubert basically said that they want a quad in the champ's performance. Mao does not say things like that, but just does 3A at almost every comp.

miki88

Medalist
For Mao, the 3A is both a practicality and her trademark. She does it because it brings her points and because it's been her trademark move since junior days. The jump has become an essential part of her skating.

key65man

Rinkside
For Mao, the 3A is both a practicality and her trademark. She does it because it brings her points and because it's been her trademark move since junior days. The jump has become an essential part of her skating.

A nice save from what could have been a two footed landing IMO..

I'll say.. the level of difficulty of the post = 3Lo.. GoE = 2 (coulda been 1, but there is something about mashimaro, so..)

Nicely done, miki88. :yes:

miki88

Medalist
A nice save from what could have been a two footed landing IMO..

I'll say.. the level of difficulty of the post = 3Lo.. GoE = 2 (coulda been 1, but there is something about mashimaro, so..)

Nicely done, miki88. :yes:

:laugh: Do you about mashimaro? ^_^

Ren

On the Ice
I'm sure he'll work on perfecting it this spring and summer. Yay, Dai, the complete package!

bibi24

Final Flight
he said he stumbled a bit today on the entry/takeoff, so couldn't muster much strength into it.

Congrats Dai! So HAPPI you are able to skate on your own terms!