Volosozhar's new skating partner? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Volosozhar's new skating partner?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I predict this new pair will finish lower than 6 next season. They are about as engaging as the Zhangs without the technical skill to back it up. The new Russian pair will also overtake them. Trankov is the best male pair skater? LOL. The legend began one slow afternoon, Mrs. Trankov had a few vodka, lit up a ciggy, drew a few puffs, and told a waried ragamuffin she found on a rink set up at the local county fair. "Trankov is the best male pair skater," said Mrs. Trankov. "He needs a partner and here's 50 rubles" The ragamuffin thought for a minute. From the corner of her eyes, she took it all in. The rink surface was not much better than the pond in the back of her tiny cottage she shared with her family. The paint was chipping off. Her blades were blunt. The blades felt funny since last spring. The shoes smelled funny a few moons back. New shoes, she thought. 50 rubles is a lot of rubles. She could finally get that faux lashes she'd been eyeing at Moskovsky's. And vodka for dad. A new pin for mom. And a chance to visit Leningrad. The ragamuffin timidly said, "spasib-OK" Began the partnership of the #2 team in Russia.
The heroine: Maria Mukhortova.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Is there any truth to the Trankov/ Mukhortova breakup rumour? It just seems strange to me that this team would break up after having the best season of their career!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
No, it's true. Trankov confirmed it.

Were the interviews all in Russian? I did try looking through google news, but there was nothing there to show that they were splitting.

Well, for me it's strange too, but do you know anybody else to compeet with Volosozhar?

Actually, before the Volosozhar/Trankov rumors started appearing, a couple of us were mentioning Smirnov, since I, at least did not expect Kavaguti to continue skating after this season. I thought V/S would make a great pair.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
One thing I don't get is why people expected Kavaguti to retire! She JUST got citizenship for Russia so recently.. that makes no sense!

mousepotato

On the Ice
I agree, Kavaguti/Smirnov have their problems that they are still trying to work out, but they have come so far in just a few short years, I can't wait to see them in the furture. I do wish Yuko would gain a few pounds I really think that would help her. She also needs to get her shoulder fixed, that really creeps me out. I had read Sasha had a groin muscle injury that looked like it bothered him during the free skate at wordls so hopefully they both can get better and move on to next season.

Tatiana on the other hand looks like she weighs a lot more than Maria so Maxim better start working out if he expects to throw her as good as her last partner.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEdJMaQet8&feature=related

Lest people forget, their LP at the 2008 Euro championship. She landed the quad Salchow throw cleanly. Looked 2footed, but after the Brits saw the slowmo replay, they said it was clean.
"rare talent, nerve of steel, a lot to admire there"
"she is amazing, isn't she? selling it 150% right throughout the routine, the extension in the arms, the commitment to every movement. Wonderful extension. You know she's had different partner, but they've been trying to keep up with her because she skates soooo fast, she's really going for it. On the combination jump, she was slowing it down so he could catch up. It's a beautiful line she creates."

They used to do 3T 3T sequence. I guess Sasha couldn't keep up. So now they're doing 2A 2A sequence. Sasha seems to be the weaker partner of the two, if he switches partner, he wouldn't even come close to their current level.

And from watching them, I think they're ridiculously fast. Not sure how some people got the idea that this pair is slow.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I think they both are great but I really don't think he is the weaker one of the two. Since late December they have done 8 programs and he only stepped out of a 2A, the rest of the time he was fine. I wish he would catch her on the twists. He's strong enough, you can see that from the lifts. They just need a little fine tuning.

I don't know when V/M would be able to compete but I read that Maxim wants money from the federation for rent if he moves. I really hope I read it wrong, because if he really said that my opinion of him went way down.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't know when V/M would be able to compete but I read that Maxim wants money from the federation for rent if he moves. I really hope I read it wrong, because if he really said that my opinion of him went way down.

Why would your opinion go down? In Russia from what I understand, there is always the expectation of the government helping to support the athletes. The guy it sounds from the interview, isn't expecting much. He's just asking for enough so that he can actaully skate. He's not rich and its likely the only way he can compete.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I don't know when V/M would be able to compete but I read that Maxim wants money from the federation for rent if he moves. .
Rent prices in St. Petersburg and especially in Moscow are exorbitant. Note that he's specifying that he isn't asking to own an apartment (a la Plushenko), just some help with rent. If he doesn't get assistance from the federation, the only thing he'd be able to afford would be like a dorm room pretty much. It's different for those who are from those cities - they can stay with their families. Maxim has no such opportunity because his family is in Perm. He isn't asking for a luxury condo here, I think a decent studio apartment within a reasonable distance to the rink would suffice.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Rent prices in St. Petersburg and especially in Moscow are exorbitant. Note that he's specifying that he isn't asking to own an apartment (a la Plushenko), just some help with rent. If he doesn't get assistance from the federation, the only thing he'd be able to afford would be like a dorm room pretty much. It's different for those who are from those cities - they can stay with their families. Maxim has no such opportunity because his family is in Perm. He isn't asking for a luxury condo here, I think a decent studio apartment within a reasonable distance to the rink would suffice.

Exactly and in Russia, the tradition is that the government supports the athletes. (right?) In return, I believe they give a lot of their prize money back to their federations. So it seems to me that given the cultural expectations, he's not being unreasonable.

Last edited:

Lightbulb

Rinkside
yay! nikolai better give them good choreography. none of the "i will stop for 5 seconds, do weird things with my arms, before i do the step sequence" a la miki.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Is there some kind of exemption for citizenship rules in Russia if you are from a former Soviet Republic?

bekalc

Record Breaker
Is there some kind of exemption for citizenship rules in Russia if you are from a former Soviet Republic?

Getting citizenship should be fairly easy for her, especially since she was born in the USSR and a HIGH level athlete.

Last edited: