Defending Tarasova | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Defending Tarasova

zizi31

Rinkside
To the racist person above who said that she would never win anything like this - actually, she just won something - world championships. Not too bad. :) And she did it coachless (again).

I do wish that she'd get a real coach next year (one whom she sees every day in the rink), but Mao is extremely talented and is clearly capable of winning even when she places herself in adverse conditions.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Mao is so narrow-minded, like a typical Japanese female. She wants to live only in Japan. She is so scared to live overseas. She has to learn the foreign language. No way! She will stay at home and will see her coach only few weeks a year. Does this girl really believe she will ever win anything with such mentality?

How the heck do you know what a "typical" Japanese female thinks like?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Re; Mao's costumes...I don't know that I would say Mao had no veto power...perhaps she had some..but I think it's fair to assume she didn't have a lot. She may have been presented with 2 or 3 designs to choose from , or something like that..and she may not have had even that much input. I seriously doubt that she was free to go outside to a designer of her choice..Skaters who have gone to Tarasova in the past appear to have gone for the whole package, and I think it's not just for what they think they can gain from her technically, but politically as well.I doubt they wanted to go to her because she gave them access to the most beautiful costumes.

If she accepts them as students ,I think they're expected to accept her expertise in all areas.How else would you explain the fact that almost all of her skaters have had bad costumes ? They can't all have the same poor taste or judgement as far as costumes go... e.g.; remember the hideous change in Shae and Victor's costumes as soon as they went to her ?...Sasha is the only one who seems to have resisted somewhat, but she always had her own strong ideas about costumes, and had previously designed many of her own, IIRC.

I think it's just put to them that she can help them achieve better results, but they need to put themselves in her hands and trust her guidance in all matters. This is ,after all ,only an exaggerated example of what any coach does. Only Morozov's and Linichuk's skaters have an equally noticeable costume "brand" , with equally unflattering results.

Last edited:

riardo

Rinkside
Well, looking back at the season, it seems like Mao did pretty well under TAT?
I mean 2nd place at Olys (which some may argue should have been much closer call), World Champ. You can't really get any higher than that, can you?
There is nothing TAT could have done with the jump arsenal Mao had coming in this season against Kim. So I say that the strategy of relying on 3As did work out perfectly for her. I remember how much criticism was directed at TAT for that at the beginning of the season. I also think much softer lyrical programs might not worked out for Mao this season. She needed a big bang to stand out and that's what they tried to do with those programs. Not that I liked them but it worked in the end.

rtureck

Final Flight
:think: Tarasova's skaters almost always have terrible costumes, so I think that's definitely one problem that can be laid at her door.

Ha, LOL, that reminds me of Kulik's giraffe costume, and the so many ugly costumes worned by Yags

I do agree with original poster that Mao should get a technical coach. I know everyone said Mao has horrible jump problems etc. I know she flutzes, and she does not have a triple sal, but hey the OGM does not have all the jumps either. Mao has triple axel and triple loop, and Yuna has triple sal and triple lutz.

Mao lost to Yuna on ice and in air. I was hoping as a dance coach TT would be able to get Mao to a higher level and +GOE on her basic skating, spins, and step sequence.

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
I rather like Yagudin's costume for Man in the Iron Mask. I thought it was a great concept. Other than that, I don't like TAT's costume choices much.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I rather like Yagudin's costume for Man in the Iron Mask. I thought it was a great concept. Other than that, I don't like TAT's costume choices much.

Actually, Mao's red and black LP dress grew on me. Her SP costumes are still meh, but I don't mind her LP dress now... and anything Yags wore looked gorgeous to me :love:

hurrah

Medalist
Actually, Mao's red and black LP dress grew on me. Her SP costumes are still meh, but I don't mind her LP dress now...

Mao's LP dress evolved a great deal. The ruffle around the chest and back kept on getting smaller up until Worlds, and I think they had added new beads that make it sparkle more by Olympics. In the end, at least the cut was good. Mao does look gorgeous in that particular shade of red (like her Scent of Women dress). I liked the SP dress she wore at Olympics more than the other two choices she had, though of course the details were too much up close, but that magenta color harmonized with the vibrant nature of Mao's beauty, I thought.

That said, Mao was not well-costumed this season. Her Claire Lune dress was so sublime! And even the Masquerade dresses from last season were much better.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Yes, but why do you define a typical Japanese female like that? Take Miki for example, who has decided to train abroad.
Good for Miki. But her decision is not the most typical one. Still the rightest, fortunately.

I think it shows how narrow-minded said poster is.
...said he/she about.... him/herself? I see.
Just being a racist and/or sexist.
What does gender have to do with that? I am female too.
To the racist person above who said that she would never win anything like this - actually, she just won something - world championships.
Congratulations! Just do not forget that she won practically with her perfect skating while Yuna was terrible. If Mao had been perfect and Yuna had beenusual, I am sure Mao would have lost. It means she does have to work much harder than now and in a good coaching conditions. She will not be able to get them in Japan. But Mao does not want to live abroad. If she does not change her ideas, she will be able to win only if her rivals make a bunch of awful mistakes.
How the heck do you know what a "typical" Japanese female thinks like?
Because I live in Japan.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mao's LP dress evolved a great deal. The ruffle around the chest and back kept on getting smaller up until Worlds, and I think they had added new beads that make it sparkle more by Olympics. In the end, at least the cut was good. Mao does look gorgeous in that particular shade of red (like her Scent of Women dress). I liked the SP dress she wore at Olympics more than the other two choices she had, though of course the details were too much up close, but that magenta color harmonized with the vibrant nature of Mao's beauty, I thought.

That said, Mao was not well-costumed this season. Her Claire Lune dress was so sublime! And even the Masquerade dresses from last season were much better.

I loved the pink one on her. She always looks angelic in pink. I also liked the current SP one, too. I do not like the LP costume very much, but realized that it looks artistic in magazine pictures. The cut and the texture of the skirt are beautiful. But I think that the overall material is too heavy for her. I loved the Chopin Noctune costume the best. She looked really angelic.

TAT gave her a beautiful SP costume with bird wings in 2007-8. Her gala costume from the last year was very good, too. I agree that even the last year's masquerade dresses were not bad. The only dress I really did not like from TAT was the LP costume.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Good for Miki. But her decision is not the most typical one. Still the rightest, fortunately.

...said he/she about.... him/herself? I see.

What does gender have to do with that? I am female too.

Congratulations! Just do not forget that she won practically with her perfect skating while Yuna was terrible. If Mao had been perfect and Yuna had beenusual, I am sure Mao would have lost. It means she does have to work much harder than now and in a good coaching conditions. She will not be able to get them in Japan. But Mao does not want to live abroad. If she does not change her ideas, she will be able to win only if her rivals make a bunch of awful mistakes.

Because I live in Japan.

This post seems racist and troll.

dlgpffps

Final Flight

I didn't know her dress changed so much. Interesting. I guess designers just keep tweaking. I really liked her Claire de Lune dress as well, esp. the one she wore at 4CC (sorry it never resurfaced). I also liked her costume to Czardas. I didn't like her Masquerade dresses. That black one was just blech (sorry) and with that eye makeup... All I could see was "FIERCE FIERCE DARK DOOM", none of the tragic story behind the music. The one she wore to Worlds was much, much better and actually evoked the story. I'm hoping that with a new coach and choreographer, Mao will start to get nicer costumes. She used to be so well-dressed.

Oh and I have a random question. Why does Mao change her costume so much? I kind of think she changes every time she doesn't do well? Wears a new one to mark a fresh start?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I didn't know her dress changed so much. Interesting. I guess designers just keep tweaking. I really liked her Claire de Lune dress as well, esp. the one she wore at 4CC (sorry it never resurfaced). I also liked her costume to Czardas. I didn't like her Masquerade dresses. That black one was just blech (sorry) and with that eye makeup... All I could see was "FIERCE FIERCE DARK DOOM", none of the tragic story behind the music. The one she wore to Worlds was much, much better and actually evoked the story. I'm hoping that with a new coach and choreographer, Mao will start to get nicer costumes. She used to be so well-dressed.

Oh and I have a random question. Why does Mao change her costume so much? I kind of think she changes every time she doesn't do well? Wears a new one to mark a fresh start?

I did not like the black one, but looking back it looks at least nicer than the current LP one. I wonder if TAT was involved in that.
I hope that she hires someone who brings her youth. I like TAT but her programs and costumes are really classical and want to see more contemporary sophistication (like Dai's eyes). Her programs are like ladies in 50's. Beautiful, but a bit too formal. But she does give Mao playful pieces for her gala, esp. last year's was fab. So she could do that if she wants.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I dont think she will be really happy with this WC Gold.

Why not? I mean of course she would rather have Olympic Gold but she skated great and landed all her triple axels (no matter what the tech caller says). I think this is just what she needed to get her confidence back and fire her up for next season. She sees that Yu-na is destructible and it can be done!

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
She looked unhappy maybe because she didn't beat Yu-Na's Olympic score as she publicly told earlier. At podium, even Yu-Na and Laura were smiling brighter than Mao.

youtubo

Rinkside
I cant understand y she was so sad in olympic and WC. She really needs to change that attitude!!!
The whole World is watching her thou. Jeez..