North Korean Skater? | Golden Skate

North Korean Skater?

thumbyskates

Rinkside
I was just curious to know why North Korea (or PRK) sent a man to Olympics (and he was fabulous) and yet he's not at Worlds.

I was just wondering if anyone knew why PRK sent skaters to the Olympics and not to Worlds?

Bennett

Record Breaker
Oh, I did not realize that they did and I am glad that he was good.

But I do not think that you would ever get any details on any topic from the country where the freedom of speech in the media is nonexistent.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Looking at the skaters on wikipedia's list of Figure skaters from DPRK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Olympic_figure_skaters_of_North_Korea), it looks like they send skaters to the Olympics and other, smaller events, but never to the World Championships. I'm assuming it has something to do with wanting to have athletes do the country proud, and the fact that they deem the World Champs as not receiving enough media attention to warrant investing the money to send the athletes.

Gymgirll

Rinkside
I think it might be a financial matter. It also happens in other sports like gymnastics. Probably for the olympics it is the North Korean Olympic Comitee that pays for the expenses but for worlds,... it might be the skating federation and they probably have little money, so they'd only send the athletes to the competitions closer to them or cheaper,...

cosmos

On the Ice
North Korea is in extreme difficulty, now. People are starving to death. It would be too luxurious to send an athlete to Worlds.

Bennett

Record Breaker
North Korea is in extreme difficulty, now. People are starving to death. It would be too luxurious to send an athlete to Worlds.

Somehow they have a lot of money to spend on weapons. If the athlete is good enough to be internationally competitive and boost the national pride, I bet they would do so at the sacrifice of starvation. Just my speculation.

thumbyskates

Rinkside
I realize the circumstances behind North Korea and didn't want to start a political discussion - I was just curious on their reasoning.

Thanks.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Im not well aware ( I dont think anyone here really knows how bad/good things are over there) of the North Korea politic/economic situation, but this has been their usual policy when it comes to olympic sporst : Send the athletes only To Olympics and Asian Games (if they're not held in South Korea) and nothing else. Every 4 year a skater/gymnast, etc gets the chance to get out the country and qualify a spot, thats why Ri was sent to Nebelhorn. Its been the same way for decades now. Money is really not the issue.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Im not well aware ( I dont think anyone here really knows how bad/good things are over there) of the North Korea politic/economic situation, but this has been their usual policy when it comes to olympic sporst : Send the athletes only To Olympics and Asian Games (if they're not held in South Korea) and nothing else. Every 4 year a skater/gymnast, etc gets the chance to get out the country and qualify a spot, thats why Ri was sent to Nebelhorn. Its been the same way for decades now. Money is really not the issue.

It begs the question, if that's really effective, If you only send someone every four years, you can't really build that international reputation. I mean Ri was clean, but he didn't make it to the Olympics LP. And how do you train for a competition that only comes every four years without any assessment in between?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
It begs the question, if that's really effective, If you only send someone every four years, you can't really build that international reputation. I mean Ri was clean, but he didn't make it to the Olympics LP. And how do you train for a competition that only comes every four years without any assessment in between?

I agree and I definetly feel bad for Ri, he was very good at Nebelhorn and better at Vancouver, and it sucks for him being deprived of international competition. Seems to work in gymnastics though, every once in a while a North Korean comes out of nowhere and grabs a medal at Worlds .

L

lowtherlore

But dear leader enjoys watching figure sakting.

That seems true. I think North Korea had been investing in figure skating, more so than South Korea. They hold an annual international competition (participants are usually from the old Soviet-block countries), and in 2006 Turin games they sent a man and a woman in singles event, and even a pairs team! I hope we get to see more of them.