Pairs who earn level 4 on footwork? | Golden Skate

Pairs who earn level 4 on footwork?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pang and Tong got a lev 4 on their straightline footwork in the SP in Turin.

It's getting harder to retain info at my age :think:.... can anyone recall if another pair ever has earned a lev 4 on footwork?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Interesting. Are the requirements
for the levels the same in pairs as in singles? It seems most pair footowotk is unterstandably simplier than singles footwork, and certainly slower.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's getting harder to get level 4 on footwork, for sure. The rules have changed again. In dance, at Nebelhorn, Capellini and Lanotte, who generally had no problems getting level 4's on footwork, had to settle for some level 2's.

However, the pairs at Nebelhorn had one couple, Berton and Hotarek of ITA, who got a level 4 on a straight line step in the SP. This year, no step sequence is required in the LP. There is a spiral sequence instead.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
A bit off-topic, but since it is about pairs I just wanted to say I have found a new pair from the USA that I actually like! :)

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epf9vM0AIOk (SP); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPZaXsnsi2I (LP)

They are skating to two of my all-time favorite composers (i.e. Beethoven & Led Zeppelin). Ah, I'm in nirvana! (;^)

Seriously, I find this pair very musical (their Beethoven SP reminds me of G&G from the 1994 Olympics), and they are very well-matched ~ both have long lovely lines and a balletic quality to their skating ~ and his posture & positions are to-die-for! If they are elected to skate at Skate America, I will add pairs to my repertoire that weekend, as I plan on attending. :)

Btw, I was surprised & delighted to find out, after reading his BIO, that he used to skate pairs with Rachael Flatt. I can see why they were paired up, as they both have strawberry red/blonde hair, blue eyes, and charming smiles. If I didn't know better, I would have thought they were brother & sister. :D

Mystic

Rinkside
I believe the team you are referring to is Donlan and Speroff. They are in their second season together. They both are beautiful skaters. Their line, posture and extension are very good for a fairly new pair team. Not to mention an incredible triple twist and an enormous throw triple salchow. They still need work on their sbs jumps and spins and one more throw triple, but they are definitely a team to watch out for in the future. I was also reminded of G & G when I saw their moonlight sonata s/p. They just finished 4th at Nebelhorn last weekend, this was their international debut.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I couldn't have said it any better, Mystic, your analysis is right on! :)

Here's crossing my fingers that they get the TBA spot for Skate America. And if they do, I will add pairs to my schedule that weekend, as right now I'm only planning on attending Mens FS & Ladies FS.

I used to like pairs & ice dance long ago when the lovely Russians were dominating pairs (in particular G&G) and Anissina & Peizerat were competing (ah, memories of their skating have me wanting to go to youtube to look them up again). :D

Mystic

Rinkside
Unfortunately, there are no more TBA spots for SA. Zhang and Toth were assigned to Skate America. They also competed at Nebelhorn, finishing 7th. They are also a very promising team with alot of potential. Looks like the next time Donlan and Speroff will compete will be at Sectionals, I believe - Easterns.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info! :)

Hopefully Donlan & Speroff make it to Nationals, and are shown because no matter what I always watch US Nationals, even if not the GPs, or even Worlds sometimes. So that will be the only time I will watch pairs, as well as ice dance (though not this year if S&B aren't competing).

:) GOOOOOOOOOO GRETCHEN & ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, I seriously cannot get enough of watching this pair's SP & LP on youtube. :) Andrew's spread eagle turn out is simply gorgeous, reminiscent of Brian Boitano's trademark ones!

gold12345

Medalist
Hopefully Donlan & Speroff make it to Nationals, and are shown because no matter what I always watch US Nationals, even if not the GPs, or even Worlds sometimes. So that will be the only time I will watch pairs, as well as ice dance (though not this year if S&B aren't competing).

Well, all Sr Pairs will make it to Nationals because there are so few pair teams and some of them have byes already. So no worries there.

Lol, I seriously cannot get enough of watching this pair's SP & LP on youtube. :) Andrew's spread eagle turn out is simply gorgeous, reminiscent of Brian Boitano's trademark ones!

I do enjoy them as well. I would allow myself to get excited by them, but they have both had such serious jumping problems. They really don't have anything more consistent than a 2F, and they really struggle on the 2A. Hopefully the second throw triple will come with more time, and maybe they will just be late bloomers with the jumps.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Yeah, when it comes to pairs in the USA I have long resigned myself to the fact that we're not a major power in the international scene, which has been okay with me. I honestly don't expect much, which is why it makes it more than enjoyable to watch US Nationals only. To see who will place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd nationally is a lot more exciting for me personally than Worlds & Olympics.

Now I can rest easy knowing they will be at Nationals, at least. :) And also I just re-read my renewal email subscription from IN, which states that they will be covering all 9 US Regional competitions, the Eastern, Midwestern, and Pacific Coast Sectionals! Which means I will also be able to see them skate there as well. :)^D

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Love that dismount they do, both ending in a spiral. Lovely! Hope they go places - we need some new blood!

Nadine

Record Breaker
I agree, Kitt, I just watched it again on youtube. :) During their LP it comes at exactly 3:00 minutes into the program.

Btw, I just re-watched G&G's legendary "Moonlight Sonata" LP at the 1994 Olympics, which reminds me so much of Donlan & Speroff, especially the way Gretchen looks at Andrew before their throw jump, the exact same way Katia used to do with Sergei before their throw jumps. :)

G&G: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pScMmrR2QUE&feature=related (at exactly 1:39 seconds)

D&S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPZaXsnsi2I (precisely at 2:01 into their program)

I recall reading in "My Sergei" some time ago Katia saying back then her world was just Sergei....when they skated she just had eyes for him....she skated for him alone; she never noticed the audience. And IIRC their choreographer, Marina Zueva, encouraged this, telling Katia to skate for Sergei, look at him, and only him. :)

Lol, and I also recall Tracy Wilson mentioned this exact same thing long ago (she used to be Katia's roommate when they toured with SOI, or COI, in the old days). She said the way Katia looked at Sergei....ahhhh..... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiUuTLHrGFg)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Aw, Nadine, don't make me cry! After Sergei died, I couldn't watch pairs for a long while.......