Strange results in the men's short | Golden Skate

Strange results in the men's short

evangeline

Record Breaker
I'd give Joubert 2nd in the short above Chan, but Takahashi deserved his first place finish, IMO.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The Americans are in danger of losing their 3rd place for next year.
That just would not be right.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Well Joubert did a combination that was worth 13.80 base points so all things equal, he would have been 4 points above Dai and Chan, but I kinda feel like his lower PCS were deserved. He doesn't really have transitions and I think when you have a silly program like he does it's hard to get a huge score. Plus I think he and Jeremy both got punished a bit in PCS for bombing so terribly at the Olympics, they have to earn their redemption.

lavender

Record Breaker
His lower pcs scores were deserved. Actually they could have been lower but he's in a good place. I say good luck with the long because his long isn't nearly as good as his short. I do hope he does well because his country has been kind of mean to him.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
His lower pcs scores were deserved. Actually they could have been lower but he's in a good place. I say good luck with the long because his long isn't nearly as good as his short. I do hope he does well because his country has been kind of mean to him.

I know :cry: how do you possibly be mean to someone so adorable? Glad he redeemed himself though, hoping he keeps it together in the LP!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight

He will attempt 4T again, maybe even two, but only have one 3A so his TES advantage is basically more or less as a skater who attempt 8 triples with 2 tirple 3A. So if Brian wants to hang on to the podium he needs to land all of his jumps. But 2 points back in Men event is nothing, considering they all do 8 jumps and difficult jumps like 3A.

lavender

Record Breaker
The only thing that was strange about this competition so far is Oda's losing it and not skating in the long program.

Wanted to add that i do hope Joubert skate well but I do hope better skating and choreography make the podium.

Last edited:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I know :cry: how do you possibly be mean to someone so adorable? Glad he redeemed himself though, hoping he keeps it together in the LP!

Yes, Joubert is very adorable in some ways, but he had a dirty mouth at the Olmypics.

yangjie

On the Ice
i know braian had less transitions than daisuke and chan,

but how can quad jumpers have as much transitions as 3-3 jumpers do in their SP???

thats why judges are stupid.

Also, abott are underscored.

i know braian had less transitions than daisuke and chan,

but how can quad jumpers have as much transitions as 3-3 jumpers do in their SP???

thats why judges are stupid.

Also, abott are underscored.
If we could just dump the music and have each skater select 5 jumps and 1 combo to be judged individually we could stop harping on this almighty quad. Diving does that, and they have base values for each of the dives. Scale the jumps from 0-10 and forget about GoEs. Would you pay to see it? I would. It's total sport. Keep the music for the LP.

Layfan

Record Breaker
If we could just dump the music and have each skater select 5 jumps and 1 combo to be judged individually we could stop harping on this almighty quad. Diving does that, and they have base values for each of the dives. Scale the jumps from 0-10 and forget about GoEs. Would you pay to see it? I would. It's total sport. Keep the music for the LP.

No, and I don't think many casual fans would either. Most viewers cannot tell the difference between between a flip or a lutz or even a salchow and a loop. It's not as obvious as the different dives and I don't think regular people would enjoy watching jump to jump to jump. Plus, sorry but watch someone jump a foot off the ice over and over again is not as exciting as watching someone plunge off the highest diving board.....

Still .... about Joubert, I'm kind of torn and I haven't even gotten to watch Chan, who is above him. Dai was perfect and I'm in total awe of his footwork. It's so gorgeous and seemless, you totally forget he is trying to get points. But Joubert was really on fire and he did do that huge combination...

Besides, even though I like watching other skaters more, part me hopes Joubert wins the whole thing just to show his stupid federation. what would they say then?

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
No, and I don't think many casual fans would either. Most viewers cannot tell the difference between between a flip or a lutz or even a salchow and a loop. It's not as obvious as the different dives and I don't think regular people would enjoy watching jump to jump to jump. Plus, sorry but watch someone jump a foot off the ice over and over again is not as exciting as watching someone plunge off the highest diving board.....

Still .... about Joubert, I'm kind of torn and I haven't even gotten to watch Chan, who is above him. Dai was perfect and I'm in total awe of his footwork. It's so gorgeous and seemless, you totally forget he is trying to get points. But Joubert was really on fire and he did do that huge combination...

Besides, even though I like watching other skaters more, part me hopes Joubert wins the whole thing just to show his stupid federation. what would they say then?

I thought Patrick did more than Dai today. His skating was like a CoP clinic and I was surprised he didn't score a bit more.

As Patrick noted, Dai sold it better. I could say Joubert sold it better too - but I am just not buying what Joubert is selling. ;)

If I want to see that type of action I prefer watching the original - John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever." :biggrin:

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
What happened to Oda? I feel really bad for him even though I am not a big fan. Maybe his ancestor, warrior Oda put a curse on him. He may not like the fact that Nobunari is a skater not a conquerer of Japan.Maybe he wanted him to become a prime minister instead of a figure skater.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takahashi and Joubert really SOLD their programs. Chan was excellent technically, but it's a bit like watching a windup toy going through its paces---no audience connection. Yes, Chan earns high TR and CH scores, but PE and IN scores should be considerably lower than Dai and Brian's.

I also think Abbott was robbed. He should have scored in the 84-85 range, certainly higher than Brezina.