21 Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI, ITA
22 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT, ITA

Warm-Up Group 6
23 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR, CAN
24 Emily SAMUELSON / Evan BATES, USA
25 Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI , RUS
26 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE, ITA
27 Alexandra ZARETSKY / Roman ZARETSKY, ISR

Does anyone know why the Ukrainian team withdrew?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I was wondering about the Ukrainians too. Why is there no huge thread for this yet? It's one third underway.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Well, it's been awfully quiet around here post Olympics. And dance was never popular here anyway.

Is anyone watching? I'll try to watch the final 2 flights if a feed's available. Dying to see the Kerrs rock the kilt again!!

What happened to the ukrianians? I was surprised to see that they w/d.

Good luck to the rest of the skaters; shout out to Marlie, Voir, Kerrs, Italians!!

CassAgain

On the Ice
There seem to be hundreds of Italian school children in the audience today--they are very enthusiastic and adorable.

They've just had the also-rans so far. It's amazing to me how many of these teams have at least one American on them.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, it is kinda funny. Mallory (Est), Maitz/Ucar (Turkey), Reed (Geo), Reed/Reed (Japan) all call USA home. Good from the Danish team is from Canada. Zavozin, born in Russia, raised in the USA (competing for them), now with Hungary.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
HOffmann and Zavozin had a great skate. I did find that they truly looked like they were indeed performing a Hungarian folk dance; and her costume was amazing. My problem however was with his attire: I realize that it was traditional, but, the untucked smock shirt and tight leggings made him look quite overweight and chunky, and way too much like he was carrying a beer-belly.

The young French pair, great potential (plus, he's not bad looking) - he's an ex-British skater - ! - but, they just seemed to collapse at the end, and couldn't carry it through, very cool rotational lifts ... however, they seemed to be enjoying it, which makes such a difference in the skating.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Okay, I get that Russian sailors are all male, thus, yes, you would not expect to see a girl dancing the sailor's dance. However, if you are going to go to the extent of having them both apparently "male", then, you shouldn't be doing dance moves that are male/female; I don't believe that Russian sailors would be performing a dance using those type of dance holds or lifts. You need to be consistent in the concept, I couldn't believe in it as "authentic" - it didn't sell me on the concept. Beautifully skated, but, inconsistent in concept.

CassAgain

On the Ice
I like the sailor concept--clever and different, but the dance is too manic in some places.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Navarro & Bommentre: my skater-son is stating forcefully that the guy looks like an escapee from Ironman II - ! Seriously, I don't like this outfit. The bouncing breastplate is very distracting, and I can see it being a safety issue if she gets "snagged" on it.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Okay, I get that Russian sailors are all male, thus, yes, you would not expect to see a girl dancing the sailor's dance. However, if you are going to go to the extent of having them both apparently "male", then, you shouldn't be doing dance moves that are male/female; I don't believe that Russian sailors would be performing a dance using those type of dance holds or lifts. You need to be consistent in the concept, I couldn't believe in it as "authentic" - it didn't sell me on the concept. Beautifully skated, but, inconsistent in concept.

The concept of masculinity the way North Americans understand it is very different to the rest of the world. In many other parts of the world, men do dance hand in hand and close to each other and sometimes, even kiss each other without anyone thinking they are gay or something. I watched several clips of the Russian sailor and other military dance, performed by all male casts and sometimes, actual soldiers themselves, their representation seem pretty authentic to me.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Oh no, why the ukrainianas withdrew, they were in nice position for a top 12 finish and 2 GP assignments guaranteed. I like them a lot, but they usually have lame programs sadly.

OH and the Hermanns are out of the FD so far! :cry: Not a good start of the OD for me.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
The concept of masculinity the way North Americans understand it is very different to the rest of the world. In many other parts of the world, men do dance hand in hand and close to each other and sometimes, even kiss each other without anyone thinking they are gay or something. I watched several clips of the Russian sailor and other military dance, performed by all male casts and sometimes, actual soldiers themselves, their representation seem pretty authentic to me.

Didn't think they looked gay, that wasn't the issue (although I know that other posters in other threads and on other forums have discussed that aspect) - I simply didn't see "sailors" doing a "sailor's dance" - I saw holds that seemed to convey, to me at least, traditional waltz male/female dance instead of a folk dance. Part of the problem is perhaps that North American audiences (and myself included in that ) - are somewhat clueless on this type of dance, whereas, we are more familiar with other of the folk dances presented. Thanks for the insight re: what their military dances look like.

Bonsai

Rinkside
British Eurosport showed the first two groups and then went over to the Biathlon :eek:hwell:.
Promised to be back for the last two groups .... l hope those Biathletes finish their course in record time :scowl:.
I really enjoyed the Japanese Dance by the Reeds, great concept and smart use of props.
Would have loved to see Hoffmann/Zavozin....oh well..

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Navarro & Bommentre: my skater-son is stating forcefully that the guy looks like an escapee from Ironman II - ! Seriously, I don't like this outfit. The bouncing breastplate is very distracting, and I can see it being a safety issue if she gets "snagged" on it.

I have to agree. While I love N&B's FD, their OD doesn't thrill me in the same way. It's a bit cheesy, not as bad as Domnina and Shabalin's, but on its way there. I can't wait to see their FD tomorrow though, it's one of my favourites ever and I think they could move up a bit with it.

Loved Hoffman and Zavozin!