Original Dance Start Order | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Original Dance Start Order

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
(Bolding mine) I agree with this, but D/W aren't given the edge from the judges on the OD which I think they deserve.

They were given the edge. We forget that Virtue and Moir had many problems with their OD early on. They had the errors in at Skate Canada. They were clean at the GPF, but dumbed it down a little. They added back the complexity at Nationals and improved their midline non touching step sequence. Then they absolutely aced it at the Olympics but still left points on the table (two level three elements, two level four). It comes down to performance, and I think the scoring's been fair (I haven't seen it, referring to general).

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think Ben's probably relieved that he can go back to short hair and clean shaven. ;-)

Now that a new generation of skaters turned commentators have graduated into the professional ranks- I hope they "retire" Peter Carruthers. He just asks the cheesiest questions!! Maybe he's mandated to ask certain questions but boy his delivery is just sooo over the top and not in a good way. Even Scott Hamilton calms down in the studio.

So funny at the end before they faded to break, Johnny makes this "Yes, Mr Carruthers. Yes." comment that made me giggle. He feels the cheese too. ;-)

I think Johnny thinks Peter is too proper, based on his reaction to something he said yesterday.

I agree with those who think Tanith and Ben did a good job commentating. Even their voices sound well suited to it.

CassAgain

On the Ice
On the US live feed we're getting the audio of Peter on the phone and Tanith and Ben been critiqued on their commentary by a producer. Too funny.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Which happened 4 years ago and hasn't happened since. There is just too much consistency now for the posdium to change. I'm trying really hard not to be bitter. I really really wanted D/W to win. :p I just cannot warm up to V/M, and I really wish I could. :eek:hwell:

I love them both so I really have no problem with the results going either way, but I was rooting for D/W a wee bit more lol. But I stand by that nothing is for certain, although V/M's strength does tend to be the FD. (They FINALLY didn't mess up in the twizzles in the OD after screwing it up for 2 years consecutively!)

V/M and D/W are undoubtedly largely consistent skaters, but flukes happened. D/W fell thrice (or was it twice?) in the OD at CoR last season. V/M had two major slips in their OD at SC.

I'd say that 3rd spot is probably more certain. 3 + points is a huge deficit to make up for.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
On the US live feed we're getting the audio of Peter on the phone and Tanith and Ben been critiqued on their commentary by a producer. Too funny.

And now Peter is practicing. Universal Sports is really bad with cutting the video/audio feeds after the programs are done. It happens during gymnastics broadcasts, too. It's funny to hear the behind the scenes stuff. But I keep thinking about someone not being aware the video/audio is still running and doing something embarrassing.

Well, at least the Kerrs got in the top 5 for a change.

Frederika and Massimo may well get their long awaited medal.

Crone/Poirier will join P/B, Z/Z, C/L who may push for podium, but they must wait their turn.

I think Khoklova and Novitski like Belbin and Agosto and Delobre/Schernfeld will be cast off the medal list

The diference between D/W and V/M for me, is not a question of interpretation but of actual dance steps. Both teams had excellent poses while dancing to their individual music, but V/M had more dance steps involved than D/W. D/W did have some interesting and authentic looking Indian poses. JMO.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
D/W have an audience-pleasing, beautifully constructed od that they execute extremely well. It's athletic, it's fast. But V/M have an od that, at the level of the blade on the ice - their blades together and working with each other - is just fiendishly difficult. There is almost nothing they do that is not interdependant and intricate, and yet they pull it off with fantastic timing and unison. D/W were skating their od at top form from the start. V/M were not. For the first 3 competitions they had some connection issues at times, and glitches here and there. They went home after the gpf, deconstructed it, trained it, and came back and blew the lights out at Nationals, again at Olympics. That's why they are over D/W. It has nothing to do with the quality of D/W's od, which was always high. It's how V/M execute their od now, coupled with how difficult it is bladewise, and how intricute and intertwined, the timing required. It's both athletic AND refined - extremely, extremely hard. That's why they get the edge. It is not politics at all. One small slip and they're behind Davis and White. Their od is a harder od, their execution is more refined at the basic skating, but still one glitch and they'd lose the top spot to D/W. The judging is right on.

While I much prefer V/M's od to K&O's fd in worlds 1999? 2000? The reason K&O won the title over A&P was also dance steps. A&P's fd was gorgeous, athletic, deep, powerful edges, eye-catching lifts, very musical. K&O's was not as accessible a program, with their African Drum piece and concept, but the actual dancing, no room for error timing, intricacy and interdependance made it a more difficult program than A&P's, and they nailed it and won. As an audience member I prefer A&P. If I were a judge, I'd have had to agree and place K&O first that night though.

Last edited:

piano18

Rinkside
wow, the canadians completely outskated and outclassed their rivals, and the crowd enjoyed it more too. would have D/W a point or two lower than they already are.

hopefully russian judge will be on FD panel to keep things fair. lol.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
Marlie is only 2 points behind Voir. Whoever is at the top of their game in the FD will win. If both teams are (which is likely based on their consistency), Voir will be the winner.

piano18

Rinkside
V&M got three 10s from two judges (CH, IN, PF) . Davis and White got two 10s (IN) from two judges. and yes, there was an American judge indeed.

want to see a russian judge on FD panel to even out the american one.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Meryl and Charlie finished behind their music. It was not as sharp a performance as Vancouver. V/M were sharper, technically, than in Vancouver, if not as theatrical.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
The USA is dangerously close to losing 3 spots. in dance. Davis and White will place at least second, but Samuelson and Bates NEED to finish 11th or higher. This might be a nailbiter..

BigJohn

On the Ice
Just found out that V/M changed part of their OD only hours before the competition.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/figur...moir-call-audible-to-hold-lead-at-worlds?bn=1

How amazing is that they were able to pull it off without even a skate through...

These two are pretty much as good as ice dancers get. Too bad, I loved that part when she twisted in the air. So done with no practice ever done on ice... to get a world record. Impressive seems like an understatement.

herios

Medalist
True, but if both are clean and strong, V/M will win. D/W had the OD of the season, but V/M have the FD of the season.
It is a matter of taste. I like more V/M flamenco is a very sophisticated and difficult dance, D/W is difficult, but more commercial.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:love::love:That was pretty blissful. V/M & D/W cannot be touched . Both richly deserve to be where they are.

The only complaint I have is that I think S/B were somewhat undermarked.

My sister and I are in agreement that one of the best moves in ice dance is Tessa placing her hand on Scott's thigh in their OD. ;)..just sayin'...

Edit ; Originally ,I described the move as s---y.Didn't know it wasn't allowed.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
The USA is dangerously close to losing 3 spots. in dance. Davis and White will place at least second, but Samuelson and Bates NEED to finish 11th or higher. This might be a nailbiter..

When Tanith and Ben announced they were not going to Worlds, I asked if anyone else was concerned about the US losing one of their dance spots. Everyone seemed to think it was automatic that the top 2 US teams would get 13. I was worried the judges have not been that impressed with S&B and wouldn't give them high marks. This is way too close for me. S&B were 10th after the compulsory and are now 11th. They can't drop any more.

mishieru07

On the Ice
[/url]
How amazing is that they were able to pull it off without even a skate through...

Wow. Just ... holy moly. That said, what is up with all the "behind the grapevine" talk this year? It's getting seriously annoying. Can all the judges and TCs get together and be consistent in deeming things illegal or not (Joubert anyone?).

I have faith in S/B. They certainly have the potential to move up if they skate well. D/W and V/M are locks for the top 2; S/B just need to maintain their placing, which they are more than capable of.

Canada, USA and Italy on track to get 3 spots next year! Good luck to all the dancers for the FD!

Can V/M and D/W ever top their programmes? I really hope both teams stay in for the next quad and push each other artistically and technically. It just won't be the same of either of them retire imo ....