3 Skaters for Next Season - CANADA and USA | Page 3 | Golden Skate

3 Skaters for Next Season - CANADA and USA

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Maybe people see Chipeur and Sawyer that way, but if they show up at Nationals, you can't say they won't be factors.

I will be surprised if both Chipeur and Sawyer stay next season, but if they do, only Chipeur could be a factor if he pulls off another great national competition like he usually does. Sawyer hasn't been a factor in ages. He went to Torino in 2006 and then never made the world/oly team again , he failed year after year after year. For the record, I like both guys a lot so I'll be happy enough with seeing them once again at the GP.

Nope.
According to ISU Rule 400, Section A-5 "However, in case where the Competitor/Pair of the Host Member went through the normal qualifying procedure and did not qualify under paragraphs 3 or 4 above, one Competitor/Pair of the Host Member shall have the right to participate in each event (Ladies, Men and Pairs), as Competitor number 30 in the single events and as pair number 20 in the pairs event."
So they get one entry if they don't get it otherwise, but they don't get an extra entry.
Thanks Mrs.P. I really didn't thinkso but it's nice to see it in writing.

So how do some countries get 3 for the Olys? I presume the OIC accepts the ISU rules of entrants to be used for the Olys.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I will be surprised if both Chipeur and Sawyer stay next season, but if they do, only Chipeur could be a factor if he pulls off another great national competition like he usually does. Sawyer hasn't been a factor in ages. He went to Torino in 2006 and then never made the world/oly team again , he failed year after year after year. For the record, I like both guys a lot so I'll be happy enough with seeing them once again at the GP.

He did do better on the GP circuit than the other Canadian men (not counting Chiddy because he was injured), getting the silver at Skate America and overall getting better results. The problem seems to be that he peaks too early in the season, or is maybe too nervous at Nationals. Actually the nerves might be the problem since he skated well at Four Continents. Also, his short program is weak.

gmyers

Record Breaker
That wouldn't matter if Plushenko returns and he has said he would quit politics in order to concentrate on his skating career again.

He has said this but with his surgery in the summer what is the recovery period going to be?

I think the Russian Fed will take a long hard look at their skating program this spring and summer. Or at least I'm hoping so.

What is going right with the girls but failing with the boys.