Ladies - LP | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

ARipp42014

Medalist
Mirai almost got the Pimp Spot but it's a great spot for her. However, unlike Vancouver, she'll have a little more pressure on her to deliver. Let's see if she can pull it off. Ksenia can have a respectable Top 6 finish too. I liked her Olympics performance.

Yuna can easily pull a Stephane at 2006 SC-Adam at 2010 4CC-Elvis at 1996 Worlds and move up. But it also depends how the final flight skate. She has Viktoria, Cynthia, and Granny skating after her before the FF. Caro has a tendency to bomb at home and Rachael is getting downgrades left and right all of a sudden. Laura will get the pretty points even with only 3 triples but we'll see.

Looking at the LP music list, we're getting
2 Cleopatras (Miki & Cynthia)
2 Carmens (Mirai & Elene)
1 Maria (Akiko)
1 Roxie (Alena)
1 Elizabeth the Virgin Queen (Cheltzie)
1 Fantine/Cosette/Eponine (Min)
1 trying to be like 2005 Irina (German Sarah)
1 trying to be like 1999 Maria B. (Gitzmo)
1 trying to be like 2007 Stephane (Sonia)
and a 12th Warrior (Ksenia)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh it's so weird to see Akiko in the first group :( I will wake up at 4:30 AM PST so I can watch her skate one of my favorite LPs this year....tomorrow is going to be CRAZY.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Skating gods PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let Yu-na and Akiko have redeeming skates tomorrow. I don't want them to end such a phenomenal year on a low note! I hate to see great skaters down.

key65man

Rinkside
Considering all the distractions aroun her, I didn't think Yuna was going to be 100% in Torino. But, I have never thought she would struggle with something other than the first two jumps. She probably lost her cool after the flip. I guess she is human after all. No doubt that she will perform better than she did today. But, I don't expect her LP to be as good as her Olympic LP. She will make the podium, though. Have you guys seen the protocol yet?

Extremely happy for Mirai. Barring a disaster -- and it won't happen -- she will get a medal. With her performance at the Olympics, it is a great opportunity for her. A strong foothold in her campaign for Sochi.

As for Mao, she is planning 3A, 3A-2T, and possibly 3F-3Lo (or is it 3F-3T?) in LP. I am not sure how consistent the tech panel may get tomorrow. But, I assume two downgrades out of the three based on what I saw today. I am not sure if that is enough to beat Mirai. She can decide what to do with 3-3 after Yuna's LP. Unless Yuna submits a near perfect LP, Mao may be able to catch up with Mirai as Mao is one determined girl right now.

Last edited:

Moxie

On the Ice
I'm glad Mirai doesn't have to skate last tomorrow. What a horrible place to have to skate all the time. :(

And Mao is always one determined girl. That's one of the reasons I love her so.

Best of luck to Yuna and Akiko and Miki!!

miki88

Medalist
Mao is planning a 3-3? :confused: I didn't hear any news on that. I think she's sticking to her present layout. I don't think it's wise to risk a 3-3 since she may get downgraded as the tech panel is pretty strict.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Excited MJ made the freeskate! Sad Swiss Sarah won't be there tomorrow though :cry:. I hope MJ rocks it tomorrow, it was almost painful seeing her sad in the Kiss and Cry today, I like happy, peace sign MJ better :agree:!

key65man

Rinkside
Mao is planning a 3-3? :confused: I didn't hear any news on that. I think she's sticking to her present layout. I don't think it's wise to risk a 3-3 since she may get downgraded as the tech panel is pretty strict.

Didn't she talk about it after the Olympics? I may be mistaken. Thanks for pointing it out.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Anyone else excited that Dutch girl Manouk made the LP? I just watched her SP and I really like her! She's not phenomenal but she's only 16 and pretty with some nice jumps. She could be competitive on the European stage in coming years.

key65man

Rinkside
Mao said she will work on 3-3 after Worlds.

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected.

Anyone else excited that Dutch girl Manouk made the LP? I just watched her SP and I really like her! She's not phenomenal but she's only 16 and pretty with some nice jumps. She could be competitive on the European stage in coming years.

You are excited about most skaters, seems to me. :) I admire that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Haha true. Mostly just the young cute ones :laugh:

You do have a thing for the up-and-comers. But that's a good thing. It forces the rest us to be aware of things. :)

By the way, just for fun, if everyone skated their season's best here's how everyone would rank..

1.) Yu-Na Kim, 210.36
2.) Mao Asada, 199.80
3.) Mirai Nagasu, 196.79
4.) Laura Lepisto, 190.51
5.) Rachael Flatt, 178.73
6.) Ksenia Markrova 174.75
7.) Carolina Kostner, 169.86

I did some more fooling around...and realize that it is possible for Yu-na to get the gold, it will be quite a feat if she medals if everyone else does a great program.
To beat a perfect, season's best FS Mao, she would need a 139.51, which would be her second highest score this season.
To beat a perfect, season's best FS Mirai, she would need a 136.50, which would still be her second highest score this season.
To beat a perfect, season's best FS Laura, she would need a 130.22, which is below her score at TEB earlier this year (which had a missed flip).

I have a feeling the judges are not so generous in giving the scores like they did in the Olympics, so I'm guessing that she will need something in the 130s if she expects to win or podium if the skaters above her do great.

Of course on the flip slide...
To beat a season's worst LP from Mao, she would need a 106.12, which is lower than her score at SA where she had a whopping THREE downgrades and a fall.
To beat a season's worst LP from Mirai, she would need a 103.28, again lower than her SA score.
To beat a season's worst LP from Laura, she would need a 102.55

Point is all the current medalists are super clean, then she will have to also, but if they are not, there is a little bit of flexibility. Basically, I think you could safely say a score of at least 125 would probably allow her to medal and a score of closer to 140 would give her a good shot of winning.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You do have a thing for the up-and-comers. But that's a good thing. It forces the rest us to be aware of things. :)

Yeah, I just think you never know what can happen to a skater. Like Mirai didn't make it out of regionals the year before she won the junior title and now she's skyrocketing, Agnes Zawadzki didn't make it to nationals last year and now she's junior national champion and world junior silver medalist, Anna Ovcharova was 16th at russian junior nationals last year and was 2nd at that event this year and won the SP at junior worlds and was 5th overall, Christina Gao was last in the novice division at nationals two years ago and was 13th at regionals the year before that and she beat Ksenia Makarova at the JGPF this year! You have to watch out for some of these kids, they can sneak up on you!

aurora100

Final Flight

By the way, just for fun, if everyone skated their season's best here's how everyone would rank..

1.) Yu-Na Kim, 210.36
2.) Mao Asada, 199.80
3.) Mirai Nagasu, 196.79

I did some more fooling around...and realize that it is possible for Yu-na to get the gold, it will be quite a feat if she medals if everyone else does a great program.
To beat a perfect, season's best FS Mao, she would need a 139.51, which would be her second highest score this season.
To beat a perfect, season's best FS Mirai, she would need a 136.50, which would still be her second highest score this season.
To beat a perfect, season's best FS Laura, she would need a 130.22, which is below her score at TEB earlier this year (which had a missed flip).

I have a feeling the judges are not so generous in giving the scores like they did in the Olympics, so I'm guessing that she will need something in the 130s if she expects to win or podium if the skaters above her do great.

To beat a season's worst LP from Mao, she would need a 106.12, which is lower than her score at SA where she had a whopping THREE downgrades and a fall.
To beat a season's worst LP from Mirai, she would need a 103.28, again lower than her SA score.

Point is all the current medalists are super clean, then she will have to also, but if they are not, there is a little bit of flexibility. Basically, I think you could safely say a score of at least 125 would probably allow her to medal and a score of closer to 140 would give her a good shot of winning.

Thanks for such fantastic information. May all skaters skate their best in LP!!!

jovani2293

On the Ice

1.) Yu-Na Kim, 210.36
2.) Mao Asada, 199.80
3.) Mirai Nagasu, 196.79

If i'm not mistaken Miki Ando should rank about 5th if she hits her season best.

aurora100

Final Flight

1.) Yu-Na Kim, 210.36
2.) Mao Asada, 199.80
3.) Mirai Nagasu, 196.79

Didn't Yuna win by some 20 points at the olympics? Somewhere in the 150's? So it is theoretically possible to make up the 10 point margin.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Didn't Yuna win by some 20 points at the olympics? Somewhere in the 150's? So it is theoretically possible to make up the 10 point margin.

I agree. Though the judges are less generous here than in Vancouver, I think they're stingy across the board. Meaning the pt differentials we've witnessed throughout the season are most likely to stay in some form, provided there aren't some major screwups by skaters.

Also even tho Yuna's not in the final flight, if she goes clean a la Vancouver, I don't know if the judges are really going to hold her back in PCS, given her reputation and so on.

Also I wonder how others from the final flight will do if Yuna does go very clean in LP since that's going to put some pressure on them.