Ladies - LP | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

Norpido

Match Penalty
It's strange reading some of these emotionally-motivated anti-Yuna comments because when I see Yuna skate, I see a gorgeous girl who is just mesmerizing to watch.

It's usually the rabid fans we don't like. But if you want to discuss gorgeous girls: Neither Yu Na or Mao is pretty when i comes to Korean or Japanese standard.

Norpido

Match Penalty
I like Yuna's arms. But her spirals / spins etc are just not artistically as pleasing to my eyes as e.g. Nagasu or Caroline Zhang etc

Nagasu had some great spins. Spirals must go to Mao. She is in complete split when makes here third spiral. Yu Na looks very standard. Like an average boy.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's usually the rabid fans we don't like. But if you want to discuss gorgeous girls: Neither Yu Na or Mao is pretty when i comes to Korean or Japanese standard.

I kind of find that hard to believe. Yuna is all over every magazine and product in Korea.

rtureck

Final Flight
Nagasu had some great spins. Spirals must go to Mao. She is in complete split when makes here third spiral. Yu Na looks very standard. Like an average boy.
I have to rewatch Nagasu and Mao's spirals. Anyway my all time favorite spiral in a competitve program was Divakawa's at olys 2006. Of course Michelle's spirals always touches my heart and spirit. Absolutely no comment and don't want to think about YuNa's spirals.

Last edited:

Norpido

Match Penalty
I kind of find that hard to believe. Yuna is all over every magazine and product in Korea.

Haha you haven't seen much South Korean babes.

Yu Na is popular as a nation icon in "we are able to" fashion. That has nothing to do with beauty. If so, she would be a model instead.

Norpido

Match Penalty
Speaking of Nagasu and how smiles conquer some viewers.

Nagasu smile alot when she skates. She looks almost like smiling Kwan. Did I think Nagasu was better because she smiled? No I didn't. I did not like Kwan because of her constant smile either. It just looks really worked although a very young Nagasu might be a little more genuine than a Kwan in her latest shows.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Norpido
Your opinion has that "happy faces" and "beautiful and joyous flow" is superior to drama. I really like the drama in Mao's piece and I hope not that happy faces is something that has any hand in the scoring.
It doesn't matter if it's drama or not. Yuna always had more flow than Mao this (and previous) season. Her Danse Macabre was dramatic program and had nothing to do with happy faces.
Ugly smile definately not.
Making a spiral close to the judges smiling your a## off does not make anyone happy than perhaps die hard fans like yourself.
I would really like if you would stop writing **** which comes from your rectum that is directly connected to your brain.

rtureck
I think counting 4CC definitely skewed to YuNa's favor, since MK did not compete in 4CC. Also European skaters don't participate in 4C, therefore it is not exactly a world wide competition. I have no interest in comparing the 2.
There are things that are in favor of Yuna and others that are in favor of Michelle. Again, this is stupid and I don't pretend to compare. Just let's stop it.

I don't know whether YuNa is MK 's favorite or not, if so it won't influence how I feel about YuNa's skating one tiny bit. But I may be wrong, I get the impression that you like MK b/c YuNa likes her.
Michelle is great by herself, but naturally I come to like her even more because Yuna likes her.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Not to spoil your party, but it's not like most people will remember her scores anyway. Do you remember what Shiz got in 06? Plushenko in 06? Michelle during the short program in 02?
i remember for those two, also Irina's! but i dont want to spoil the party either. i just remember numbers:p
I think this music could work on Yagudin or Plushenko because their egos were big enough.
oh no, because my next image is Christopher Lee 'dracula' to go out of the grave:sheesh:

Oh Olympia, I really am the last to judge ladies cause I just know all the requirements and that's all, so i end up being one more of the audience who looks puzzled at some scores. I thought in men it would be easier to get but I didn't get Abott marks in sp, Amodio's marks in Lp and the list goes on. For me live it gets tough cause you are more emotional :eek:

It was a gift I went to ladies cause I didn't have a ticket and the day pass was not mine, they didn't let me enter at first cause you are not allowed to go in and out with the pass whenever you want but I didnt give up, at the end they probably got bored to hear me whine and let me in!

I lost Akiko, they told me she did great, sigh..i wanted to see her program so much! I didn't make notes cause I was so close to the ice I was completely absorbed but I m watching the order of skate now and I remember most of them vividly! The German girl got quite clapping for her fall, and then Leonova, I dont like this program, nor the costume but i think she was not well in general, she didn't sell it, have seen her much better in Rostelecom cup. Ah Kira, her program is boring and she is kind of slow, but I like her costume cause it is something different from sequins and illusion fabric cuts, but I say she skates to Beyonce better! But outside skate huge Goe cause she is so shiny and extremely beautiful on ice like a Hollywood star! The Australian girl was the one with the bracelet issue in Olys? She was cute, and she was fast. I liked Kvdp's wife (she is much faster than husband, sorry Kevin), a polished skate, she was so happy with her marks!

Then Cinquanta was announced before yuna's group, barely some clapped and there was some booing, it wasn't me i swear! I don't boo the monsieur president. But i didn't clap either! In the next warm up I was looking much at dresses, Yuna's dress is just perfect, great color, great amount of sparks, fantastic back design, not too much of anything, i think great length also , Miki's dress...how many has she changed this season, one is worse than the other. Only Rostelecom cup dress I sort of liked it.I was speechless with this choice. From where to start. I wont start. At least if you want a really bad dress do it with style, Elene G. dress was so wrong I actually liked it for disco techno:biggrin: People clapped a lot in her program and I like her, she is a strong skater, I like her body -it looks healthy, nice spirals also!

Yuna... nice program but unlike her last year Lp I always find hard to remember it after, her jumps are so spectacular and the way she sets off and 3-3 was huge, but when she fell she took time to get back in the mood of music, what I liked though is that she passes cameras and smiles and to photographers also, she is truly a star. She has a gentle aura around her. When her marks went out people were silent, i was in mood to discuss it but I was in the middle of yuna fans, back and on left and right, so I didn't open my mouth. :indiff: People threw toy animals for yuna and some got on her head as she was walking to exit and she got scared!

Cleopatra for music can be banned also along with the many others (not Carmen, i like it), but Miki was on, she got a huge ovation and Morozov was smiling, she was flying! She was also looking at him for encouragement! Small note, one camera goes for every coach to capture reactions, for Morozov two cameras are stuck in his face, i don't know if he fakes some of it or if he is really so expressive in his sentiments. He is the opposite of stoic Mishin.
Cynthia had a better Cleopatra program, I don't remember much but I liked her style. She looked happy with marks. Her dress was also nice and if I compare it with Miki's it was far better!

When Caro went out arena was so loud I could not listen to music, it was one of few times I enjoyed her, I liked program and her dress was dreamy, huge clapping and screaming, she is realy an icon in italy, she was very emotional at the end but when the marks went out it was very anticlimatizing (is that a word?). I thought she should have better marks.

Poor Mao skated again after Caro, but 10 times bravo, she looked more relaxed and she went for these axels and no mistakes! I hope she abandons this program now, especially in her spiral I m scared of her face! And the music feels going on forever, Buttle's version was lighter I think. She didn't look happy with the marks. She got a load of presents and people were throwing fluffy animals from everywhere! Ok when marks went out I was a bit puzzled how her program was marked lower than Olys and how her program was marked lower than Yuna's with mistakes.

My difference with yuna and mao is that in Mao I m a little scared she will fall or I m waiting for a mistake, maybe this is due to this season, while in Yuna I just dont feel scared, she attacks her jumps more, it was more of a shock sp and lp this time. Still I feel she stays on her feet with more confidence. I m just no worried with her. And one more thing, how Mao does the 3axel is beyond me, she almost stops before jumping, shouldn't she have help from the speed in the entrance? She really pauses there. But Mao skates more light like a fairy and her spins / spirals are so beautiful to watch, her posture also I love it!

Lepisto had too many doubles, but she is such a classy skater and she looks natural on ice, her dress was so good, I liked her program, i don't know about placement. I didn't expect her to medal with this performance.
Makarova, I m sorry she fell but she is a very nice skater to watch, she has grace, nice jumps and presence, she will become the No1 in Russia i think. Her national title is only the beginning. She has all the goods to surpass Leonova and I think she is also very likable to people.
I ve also a soft spot for Sebastyen, I really like her, maybe not her skate but she has guts.

Flatt, i don't want to repeat what i said about sp, just this time i didn't like also the program at all. She needed at least a more vivid lp like her sp and for sure another dress. I think Mirai is the one who is people's darling, she gained too many new fans, she is so adorable, her dress was also fabulous! I m for sure a fan and her Carmen was so cute, with mistakes and all i still enjoyed it, I wish she had medal. But anyway, people are really liking her and I m sure she will be a star, people who compare her to Sasha...i think she is better. I really liked Cohen but i think Mirai has the flexibility, but also better basic skating, deeper edges and is for sure faster. And I can see her skate to more powerful musics in the future! I havent watch protocols, was she downgraded also for something? She was really frustrated with her marks, she didnt leave the knc for really long and she didnt want to go with Carol who was waiting her, she was looking down on her feet and i felt sorry for her..I wonder also what Carol says to them on the boards before they take the ice, it looks like he is talking for ever. After the end he didnt talk her much, probably was waiting for her to calm down.

I m happy with result, really happy that this difficult season ended like this for Mao! And i m hapy i didnt write her off after Rostelecom cup!

For me it looked like nobody wanted the silver and bronze. I think I would put Caro or Miki for bronze, or Yuna for bronze and nobody for silver.I know Yuna's SB is 150 so 130 was a low score for her, I just dont know if 130 was a score for this skate. I get she gets huge GOE for her jumps, but I dont know how much better she is in everything else to get more Goe than some others. Also naive selfish me has concluded that If I cant see a Ur jump live, dont spoil it for me.

The arena is cozy at the end if you forget the benches, lol! It is small and the red colors help a lot. Also it was the Oly arena so i was pretty excited to be there. There were really helpful volunteers and I liked the surroundings with garden parks and the lake! The audience in Italy was by far the best I ve witnessed this year. If you take aside the italian skaters that audience went nuts for them, I really liked that they seemed to cheer for the performance if it was good and not just the big names. Mirai got in sp as much applause as yuna-mao and Amodio for example got cheers as much as Dai or Joubert in Lp!

Isn'tthere a limit in characters like the limit in smileys? :D Cause I could write forever you know... :p

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
It's definitely untrue. It's kinda like claiming that Lindsey Vonn isn't considered pretty and pointing out how Megan Fox is so much "hotter" in the U.S. YuNa and Mao are both considered pretty in their respective cultures. :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker

Forget "standards"- personally I'm not that crazy about either of them...

Still, beauty is a subjective matter and there should NOT be such "standards". Your cup of tea is not my cup of tea, let's just leave it at that

Ren

On the Ice
Thanks for the report, seniorita! It's definitely fascinating to hear from someone who has been there.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It's definitely untrue. It's kinda like claiming that Lindsey Vonn isn't considered pretty and pointing out how Megan Fox is so much "hotter" in the U.S. YuNa and Mao are both considered pretty in their respective cultures. :love:

Yu-na wears makeup well. A little eyeliner and foundation and she looks like a star. Without is she looks very plain and has the body of a 13 year old boy. Some of those ads I have seen her in she looks un-recognizable she is so airbrushed and made up. Anybody can look pretty with that amount of work on them.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Yuna... nice program but unlike her last year Lp I always find hard to remember it after, her jumps are so spectacular and the way she sets off and 3-3 was huge.

My difference with yuna and mao is that in Mao I m a little scared she will fall or I m waiting for a mistake, maybe this is due to this season, while in Yuna I just dont feel scared, she attacks her jumps more, it was more of a shock sp and lp this time. Still I feel she stays on her feet with more confidence. I m just no worried with her. And one more thing, how Mao does the 3axel is beyond me, she almost stops before jumping, shouldn't she have help from the speed in the entrance? She really pauses there. But Mao skates more light like a fairy and her spins / spirals are so beautiful to watch, her posture also I love it!

Thanks a lot seniorita for your detailed report! I have greatly enjoyed your post and I am glad to see someone attest to the difference in jump quality between Mao and Yuna. Hopefully this will help people understand that Yuna's GOEs are based on an obvious difference in quality/difficulty, and not due to the judges holding her up.

Lilith11

On the Ice
... wait, why are you we now talking about how pretty Yu-na and Mao are? o_O

Personally, I think Yu-na is gorgeous, with or w/out makeup. Lols, body of a 13-year old boy? I somehow doubt a 13-year old boy would have a figure like this: http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/Lilith112/2010022400424_0.jpg XD Beauty is subjective though; whether you think she's pretty or not, isn't it her skating that ultimately is what matters though? ;D

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Tinymavy15
Yu-na wears makeup well. A little eyeliner and foundation and she looks like a star. Without is she looks very plain and has the body of a 13 year old boy. Some of those ads I have seen her in she looks un-recognizable she is so airbrushed and made up. Anybody can look pretty with that amount of work on them.
Well, I see her training photos and other photos where she is not having any makeup at all, even the lipstick, and she looks stunningly beautiful to me.
She is definitely not plain and not like a boy at all. I don't know your gender, but I suspect you're a woman, so you kind of can't appreciate her :)

seniorita
Thank you very much!

People threw toy animals for yuna and some got on her head as she was walking to exit and she got scared!
lol, didn't know that. I think that never happened before :)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tinymavy15

Well, I see her training photos and other photos where she is not having any makeup at all, even the lipstick, and she looks stunningly beautiful to me.
She is definitely not plain and not like a boy at all. I don't know your gender, but I suspect you're a woman, so you kind of can't appreciate her :)

:biggrin::biggrin:

prettykeys

Medalist
Yes, in some of those ads of YuNa with make-up and airbrushing, she is "unrecognizable", but not more so than the grand majority of celebrities. In fact, most celebrities don't go anywhere without any make-up on. YuNa regularly continues to make commercials and public appearances without any...what does that say about her personality compared to those that never do?

Courtesy of the YNKF, a non-airbrushed, made-up photo of YuNa might go like this: http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7372/20100326024642.jpg

A non-make-up YuNa looks like this:
http://imgnews.naver.com/image/001/2010/03/22/PYH2010032211290001300_P2.jpg

http://imgnews.naver.com/image/001/2010/03/22/PYH2010032211080001300_P2.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9159/pure02.gif

Personally, I don't think that is "plain"; she remains very pretty to me. But maybe it's because my standards of beauty are "low". I'm curious to see what those who criticize her looks...look like, themselves. And if any of you are willing to put no-nonsense no-makeup non-airbrushed-or-specially-framed photographs of themselves, I could do the same and we could compare baseline standards.

Eva Longoria without makeup: http://stylefrizz.com/img/eva-longoria-without-makeup-september-2008.jpg

Bar Refaeli without makeup: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2009/06/0609_bar_refaeli_leo_dicaprio_wenn2451783_exc.jpg

Kim Kardashian without makeup: http://stylefrizz.com/img/kim-kardashian-without-makeup.jpg

Me without makeup: LOL after you. :)

Thanks so much for your detailed and enthusiastic report, Seniorita! It made me feel as though I had seen the competition myself. How nice that the audience applauded even for the less well-known skaters.

It's interesting to see that everyone's descriptions of YuNa and Mao agree with what you witnessed live. On one side is YuNa with her incredible jumps and speed going into and out of them, plus that air of serenity, while on the other is Mao with her elegant posture and spirals and the "light like a fairy" quality that you mentioned.

All the other skaters you described are people I don't usually get to see, people like Sebestyen, Korpi, and Gedevanishvili, so it's an extra treat to have your impressions. From what you say, the Finnish ladies still win the fashion awards. I remember how stunning they were in the 2006 Olympics. The only one who equaled them was Kostner.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
prettykeys
Yes, in some of those ads of YuNa with make-up and airbrushing, she is "unrecognizable", but not more so than the grand majority of celebrities.
I think in some ads, like Nike's, she is actually mostly without a makeup. Of course the photographer does some job, but it's pretty much what we would see in the real life, except that in the real live she looks much better than on photos, according to all the reports I know about :)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8814/54170016.jpg

Now, you DIDN'T have to put this :)