Ladies - LP | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

magicalwords

On the Ice
Congrats to Mao, Yu-Na, and Laura!
Redemption for Mao after Olympics, for Yu-Na after that SP, and for Laura.... well. :)

BTW, this might not be an appropriate thread to ask this question,
but what if Mao had done 2A-2T instead of 3A-2T in SP like CoR earlier this season? How can she change her SP layout then?

Edit: Oops. It must've been my wish that she could do 3A-3T that took over my mind and controlled it for a second there :biggrin:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
It's PCS that's killing Miki now. It's kind of strange in that the team had decided to focus on her artistry and she improved a lot in that department. If you are shot in your PCS despite going clean, there's not much that you can do.
She won Bronze at 2009 Worlds and won two GPs and Silver at GPF so that she'd have enough reputation scores. I wonder what made judges decide to judge her PCS like that. It's true that she's been kind of slow though.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Mao, Yu-Na, and Laura!
Redemption for Mao after Olympics, for Yu-Na after that SP, and for Laura.... well. :)

BTW, this might not be an appropriate thread to ask this question,
but what if Mao had done 2A-2T instead of 3A-3T in SP like CoR earlier this season? How can she change her SP layout then?

Didn't she have a plan for this? I don't recall what it was though.

lavender

Record Breaker
I really disagree with Laura's bronze. Laura landed only 3 triples and five of her jumping passes were filled with only doubles... That just bothers me.

yeah I don't get that blog at all. How does it question Yu na's scores and not Lepisto. I don't agree with Yu na's scores however I also don't get Laura deserving a medal but it's this sometimes weird points system. I would have rather seen Miki or someone with a better long and short on the podium.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's PCS that's killing Miki now. It's kind of strange in that the team had decided to focus on her artistry and she improved a lot in that department. If you are shot in your PCS despite going clean, there's not much that you can do.
She won Bronze at 2009 Worlds and won two GPs and Silver at GPF so that she'd have enough reputation scores. I wonder what made judges decide to judge her PCS like that. It's true that she's been kind of slow though.

I think maybe she's like the ladies version of Zhang/Zhang in the pairs? Consistant in jumps (with yesterday being the exception) but sort of slow and not showing the emotion fully otherwise. I mean Z/Z brought it in the LP and they still couldn't get on the podium.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think maybe she's like the ladies version of Zhang/Zhang in the pairs? Consistant in jumps (with yesterday being the exception) but sort of slow and not showing the emotion fully otherwise. I mean Z/Z brought it in the LP and they still couldn't get on the podium.
She does show emotions lately. But yes, slow. She used to be very powerful before.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am going to say this though in regards to the bronze, I really disagree with Laura's bronze. Laura landed only 3 triples and five of her jumping passes were filled with only doubles... That just bothers me. I'd rather see someone medal who is attempting actual jump difficulty and makes some mistakes. Then someone medal with doubles. I don't know for sure but I would prefer to see bronze go to Kostner, Cynthia or Ando. I felt Kostner, Mao and Cynthia all deserved higher PCS. I get this isn't figure jumping. But this isn't ice dancing either. Jumps matter.

ITA. It's become abundantly clear that one judging panel can't accurately judge both technical and presentation aspects of this sport at the same time. The ISU either needs to have two separate judging panels, one to judge the technical aspects and one to judge the artistic aspects or have the skaters do 2 distinct programs, one focused solely on technical skills, jumps, spins, footwork, and one focused solely on skating skills, transitions, performance execution, choreography, and musical interpretation without any technical elements.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mao totally deserved her win. I'm not seeing the but what ifs there as Janetfan said Mao gets full credit. I do think she wanted it the most (and thats okay to say) but I think Yu-na is just tired too and that's fine as well. Nobody's going to be perfect every time....

I know you are a Miki fan/believer..........but did you really think she was presented properly this season?

It seemed odd to me coz Miki used to be a great jumper. Now I see her bottled down with attempts at artistry - and not very attractive programs IMO - but mostly I miss fast Miki jumping high.

Miki this season seemed strange to me. The slow skating with such emphasis on "fingertips" and wavy arms - when the posture is - and always will be second rate - was just a poor choice IMO.

I get Miki has strengths and weaknesses - but watching her skate this season it felt like I was watching her weaknesses get emphasiszed while her strengths - being such a superior athletic skater - were not showcased.

Sorry, but if Miki and Laura are gonna try and dance - Laura wins this everytime - and it shouldn't even be close. Laura is jsut great at PE - and Miki is strictly an athelete. I think Morozov failed her big time with dumb programs she couldn't pull off.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She does show emotions lately. But yes, slow. She used to be very powerful before.

I think her LP today was her best one this season. So yea, sad that Miki couldn't get on the podium with that.

hellcat

Rinkside
Well, it doesn't really make a difference in scores as they get comparable GOE's for non-jump elements. It's only in the jump elements that Yuna has the advantage in GOE.

Not exactly sure how those will play in score but those are things can be fixed relatively easily if someone corrects them with practice (IMHO). I'm just suggesting what can be improved.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Very, very nice competition.

I have to say one thing, and you maybe will disagree. I really think that Yuna and Mao made figure skating very exciting for the last couple of years. What a great couple of skaters!

Now about my humble impressions:
The one person that really made me sorry about her: Mirai Nagasu. I'm not her fan at all and I am really not charmed too much about her skating, but the fall from 1st place to 7th was brutal. It was her fault, but I really would like her to be somewhere near the podium, or maybe on the podium. She has very big potential in her, I think she may become really great skater in the future. Sadly, she is not consistent yet, but her ability is huge.

The winner: Mao Asada. She was amazing. Actually she was almost perfect. Probably we can say that this season she was learning 3A and it seems that in the end she really learnt it, which means that she will be amazing in the next season.
Mao Asada proved that she is really an exceptional skater with incredible mental strength. Starting so bad earlier and then getting an Olympic silver medal and her second World championships gold medal, what I can say, she must be proud of herself. However it looks like she will never be satisfied until she beats Yuna's scores. Well, she can do it for sure. Next season...

The best skater (just the best): ok, who else could do this? Yuna Kim after having jetlag from two consecutive flies to and from Korea, cold and post-Olympic feeling of emptiness and lack of motivation was able to jump from 7th place after short program straight to the 2nd place. Even tired and basically burnt out she was able to perform very good LP with an amazing grace. She had a fall and popped jump, but give her a break, she was amazing. Well deserved silver and another remarkable performance. This time I'm really happy because of the outcome like this.

So it's really happy ending for this chapter. Mao finally got a gold medal for her incredible efforts and quality of skating, Yuna had successful performances and I'm also happy for Laura. That was great for her.

After this season Yuna may retire. In that case the figure skating will lose one of the greatest skaters for this time and for all time. But we should respect any decision Yuna will take. She has done, maybe, too much for us to fully appreciate. It's also true that has a lot to do besides figure skating.

Thanks, Yuna. Those were 4 years full of light.

janetfan
See, that is the type of Yuna 'excuses" that are belittling to other skaters.

Mao won her second WC.....good for her. Yuna simply wasn't up to defending her title. That's the way it goes.
But don't try and tell us Yuna didn't care or lost because she had nothing to prove.
???
What Yuna excuses? Yuna didn't make any excuse.
She had to fly to Korea and suffered from jetlag and other things later, it was well known before the competition and obviously that affected the results. Same goes with other skaters, everyone might do it better.

Yuna had nothing to prove for a long time. Mao, in my opinion, either, it was just a question how fast she can recover after bad starting of the season. Very fast, as we saw.

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Well, I do think Yu-na should've spent more time practicing. She said she was lost as to what she wanted to do. She had just accomplished her life goal and was filled with an emptiness, couldn't really practice until a week before the competition (and she admitted to this before she performed her SP, so it's not just a lame excuse). I just wish Yu-na had been as hungry as Mao. She might have lost all the same, but sshe probably would not have made such uncharacteristic mistakes in the SP.

i think the thing with athelic is when you come to the competition, you got to be 110% prepare and come with a attitude for winning. If you cannot dedicate yourself 100% to training and competition, don't come and compete. Everyone will understand and move on. Yesterday competition is yesterday news!!

Just because u won O Gold mean u r not invincible and peoples cannot use excuse (for every athelics) that 'oh I won everything and there is nothing to prove!!' The thing is there is always something to prove!! And competition is half only talent and the other half is nerve and dedication. Yuna lose because she lacks nerve and lack of competition spirit. Mao won because she is focus and dedicated to doing best of ability.

Fair and square!!! i just wish peoples stop talking about who is better, and Mao won because Yuna isnt hungry. This is sport.

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Morozov failed her big time with dumb programs she couldn't pull off.

I agree. Did NM put out any good programs for his pupils except for Oda's long program?

Moxie

On the Ice
My opinion isn't that Yuna's PCS were held up, but Mao's were held down. Who is the judge giving her 6s?!

But otherwise, I thought a better competition than yesterday. All my favorites came out and fought. Mao has a second WC title! And Yuna hasn't broken her streak of never medaling. And now she has the complete set of colors. lol

Too bad about the two spots for the US. I still think Mirai is going to come back roaring next year.

jovani2293

On the Ice
I personally thought that this was Miki's best artistic program and she wasn't rewarded. She should just power through her program maybe she get a higher PCS.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
wonderlen3000
i think the thing with athelic is when you come to the competition, you got to be 110% prepare and come with a attitude for winning. If you cannot dedicate yourself 100% to training and competition, don't come and compete. Everyone will understand and move on. Yesterday competition is yesterday news!!
What's the problem? Yuna got silver medal, that's really cool, man! I know you may be disappointed as you always want her to win gold, but sometimes people are just too tired mentally and physically. Even if they want to compete, sometimes they can't come back to normal so fast.

Just because u won O Gold mean u r not invincible and peoples cannot use excuse (for every athelics) that 'oh I won everything and there is nothing to prove!!'
Ehh... Yuna never said anything like that.

Yuna lose because she lacks nerve and lack of competition spirit. Mao won because she is focus and dedicated to doing best of ability.
Yuna lose? She won, actually. Beautiful silver medal. Very nice achievement :)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I personally thought that this was Miki's best artistic program and she wasn't rewarded. She should just power through her program maybe she get a higher PCS.

Sorry - but i totally disagree. I like Miki - but her two programs this year were close to kitchen breaks for me. Such DULL, SLOW skating from such a good atheltic skater? I don't buy it at all.
Some complain Laura did not do enough hard jumps - but geez - her PE and CH and IN are just exceptional. For me, easily the best - yes, way better than Mao or Yuna.

So it is up to CoP to count the points. I have a feeling the same fans who dislike Chan don't get Laura's skating either.

For me, aspects of Laura's skating are are the BEST. Yuna and Mao simply can't dance across the ice and express music the way Laura does. Since we are now in the CoP era - Laura's awesome abilties do count.
Just as Chan's abilties count. I don't want all the skaters to be the same - and that is why I love Laura so much - she is unique compared to all of the other skaters. She is not like Sasha - but brings a similar and SUPERIOR PE and IN to her programs the ay Sasha did.
JMHO

Last edited:

Robeye

Final Flight
Yes, I was being ironic - but let's consider that Yuna wants to be remebered as one of the greatest skaters of all time.

Kristi is still the last Lady skater to win the WC, the OGM and then defend her WC.

Maybe that is part of why Kristi is still remebered and regarded so highly today. And it is not like Kristi did not have a fierce rival - some claim that 1990's Midori could beat Yuna and Mao.

I objected to the poster dismissing Mirai so casually - and yet trying to clain Yuna had nothing to prove. What baloney - maybe she meant it to come out differently - but I don't think Yuna went to Torino to try and win Silver. If she did - it only emphasiszes Kristi's greatness!

As stated, I agree that if for no other reason than her age, the jury is properly still out on Mirai.

With regard to Yuna, on the other hand, while I agree that she didn't go intending to win silver (and I'm pretty sure that's not what Nadia meant either), I do agree with her that winning in Torino meant significantly more to Mao and considerably less to Yuna; that's just common sense.

It's also true that the Worlds mean less than the Olys, as evidenced by the fact that Mao was not quite as happy, and Yuna not really as sad, as they might have been, particularly when contrasted with their reactions at the Olympics, when the situations were reversed.

I also believe that if it were up to Yuna alone, she would probably not have shown up (which would have made her no different from a great many OGMs in recent history, because, frankly, the season is longer than in Kristi's day), but needed to get places for Korea next year.

Having said all that, however, once Yuna put all those considerations aside and got on the plane for Turin, did she want to win? Of course she did. Did she get beat by Mao fair and square? No question. Was the Worlds a meaningful win for Mao? Yes it was. Did Mao deliver strong performances? Yes she did. But going from there to somehow imply that Yuna was as hungry to win (or anywhere near) as Mao was, or that the Worlds win was somehow equivalent to the OGM, as some posters have been trying to spin it, is drinking the Koolaid. I think what Nadia was trying to say was that Yuna didn't feel any burning need to further prove herself at this juncture vis-a-vis Mao or anyone else in the field, particularly at the post-Oly Worlds. As hard as this may be for some to hear, that's also a truth that Mao herself realizes and is desperate to reverse. Which is why Mao was very public about wanting to go head to head with Yuna in the future AND break her records.

If we're talking about historical legacy, a comparison with other all-time greats (eg Kristi) and how she stacks up, that would be an interesting debate to have, and I would not say that Yuna has nothing left to prove from that perspective, although I believe a case can be plausibly made for Yuna even at this point in her career (not only titles but record-setting, jumps, etc etc), but I'll end this here.

sgower

Rinkside
Mao totally deserved her win. I'm not seeing the but what ifs there as Janetfan said Mao gets full credit. I do think she wanted it the most (and thats okay to say) but I think Yu-na is just tired too and that's fine as well. Nobody's going to be perfect every time....

I am going to say this though in regards to the bronze, I really disagree with Laura's bronze. Laura landed only 3 triples and five of her jumping passes were filled with only doubles... That just bothers me. I'd rather see someone medal who is attempting actual jump difficulty and makes some mistakes. Then someone medal with doubles. I don't know for sure but I would prefer to see bronze go to Kostner, Cynthia or Ando. I felt Kostner, Mao and Cynthia all deserved higher PCS. I get this isn't figure jumping. But this isn't ice dancing either. Jumps matter.

I haven't watched everything yet, but Cynthia's program was magic - absolutely wonderful. I looked at her protocols - if she had done a good triple loop in her short instead of a triple toe she would be the Bronze Medalist. I do think she probably should be anyway - what a great performance! I am so pleased for her, and also for Canada to still send 2 women next year. Woot woot!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In oly's she doubled "only" one jump. Here she had good lutz, at last. Next year she must have them both and include another lutz and she must learn to do to flip. There are so many talented skaters who can jump, Ksenia, Cynthia, Sarah H...for example and there are some girls who are not old enough for example in Russia.

Why should Laura have to learn anything? At the rate she's going, she could double ALL her jumps and still make the podium.

Sorry, but I am super unimpressed with Laura. She has a habit of doubling jumps and has done so at nearly every competition this season. She got away with it at Worlds because so many of the skaters were exhausted after a long, long season.