Ladies - LP | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

janetfan

Match Penalty
I realize you're perhaps being ironical to prove a point, but to say "I am not going to make a determination now that Yuna can't handle success" and equate it with Mirai's case unecessarily harms the credibility of your basic premise. The girl only won the final Worlds before the Olys (which is probably second only to the Olympics itself in terms of hype and pressure, because it establishes the frontrunners), then proceeded to go undefeated with a perfect win record in the GPs including the final, culminating the season with about as perfect an OGM campaign as anyone has ever seen. What in the world are you talking about?

I do agree that Mirai is still too young to firmly stick a label on as of yet, but let's not go overboard with the false equavalencies.

Yes, I was being ironic - but let's consider that Yuna wants to be remebered as one of the greatest skaters of all time.

Kristi is still the last Lady skater to win the WC, the OGM and then defend her WC.

Maybe that is part of why Kristi is still remebered and regarded so highly today. And it is not like Kristi did not have a fierce rival - some claim that 1990's Midori could beat Yuna and Mao.

I objected to the poster dismissing Mirai so casually - and yet trying to clain Yuna had nothing to prove. What baloney - maybe she meant it to come out differently - but I don't think Yuna went to Torino to try and win Silver. If she did - it only emphasiszes Kristi's greatness!

wallylutz

Medalist
Duct tape

no, that not what I heard. I think one must be in a combination or in sequence.

:disapp:

Don't you love it when people have no idea what they are talking about... :scowl:

I got a present for you:

http://www3.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-197593-214816-125742-0-file,00.pdf

ref. page 13, ISU Technical Panel Handbook Single Skating

Jumping elements are individual jumps, jump combinations and jump
sequences. A well balanced Free Skating program must contain 8 jumping
elements for Senior & Junior Men and 7 jumping elements for Senior &
Junior Ladies one of which must be (or must include) an Axel type jump.
Individual jumps can contain any number of revolutions.
Of all the triple and quadruple jumps only two (2) can be repeated and these
repetitions must be in either a jump-combination or in a jump sequence. A
Double Axel can not be included more than three times in total in a Single’s
Free Program (as a Solo Jump or a part of Combination/Sequence)
. Triple and
quadruple jumps with the same name will be considered as two different jumps.
A repeated triple or quadruple solo jump, not included into a jump combination
or a jump sequence, will be considered as a part of a not successfully executed
jump sequence and counted as a jump sequence with only one jump executed.
If three (3) jump combinations or jump sequences (in total) have already been
executed, the repeated solo jump will be treated as an additional element and
therefore not considered and it will block a jumping box if still available. No
triple or quadruple jump can be attempted more than twice

So please, stop, will you? So long as I am here, your little conspiracy theory will have no room to grow, so please save your energy.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Yes, I think Yu-na actually enjoys the rivalry. I mean it's funny how fans of both are so disrepectful of each other yet Yuna and Mao, in general, are very kind when they talk about the other. And quite frankly for us figure skating fans, it's amazing to see this rivalry over the years and the paths they have taken.

I think Yu-na and Mao are great for each other. They probably would not have reached such heights without their counterpart. I'd like to see them fight to the very end (until both retire), but I don't know if I'll be able to stomach all the stupidity and hatred shown by bots.

ks777

Record Breaker
I apology for that and I take it back then. I just felt so angry that many people bashing Yuna and said she didn't deserve the mark she got. But I kinda calm down now. However, I still do believe that Yuna can still win this world title if the judge give her partial credit for her spin.

you just said " I take it back then" yet you are still blaming the judges! :disapp:

wallylutz

Medalist
Yes, I agree with you. I just like reading the exact rules and getting the attribution. :)

ETA: But it is a problem though if she pops the jump to the 2A right? ala Cup of Russia?

then, please happy tresure hunting, I am too lazy to find you the exact rule quote after having to deal with a troll already. Or you can trust what I told you, I wouldn't make this kind of thing up.

Nadia01

Final Flight
See, that is the type of Yuna 'excuses" that are belittling to other skaters.

Mao won her second WC.....good for her. Yuna simply wasn't up to defending her title. That's the way it goes.
But don't try and tell us Yuna didn't care or lost because she had nothing to prove.

Mao won this event and deserves FULL credit. Yuna came second - and also deserves credit.

The excuses don't wash with me. Mao deserves full credit for winning.

Huh?

Mao is still hungry b/c she hasn't won OGM. She still feels like she has something to prove.

Yuna won all the titles she can win.

That's not belittling. It's a fact.

Also I never said Mao doesn't deserve full credit for winning. It's not Mao's problem that Yuna wasn't prepared to defend her title.

Why are you attacking me? Is it b/c you're offended that I don't think Mirai is the best thing since the sliced bread?

evangeline

Record Breaker
However, I still do believe that Yuna can still win this world title if the judge give her partial credit for her spin.

But why should the judges give her partial credit for her botched spin in the SP? Yu-Na made mistakes and was penalized for them accordingly.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Looking back the season, I think it interesting that the same program can look totally different by the way it was executed. Rochette, Mirai, Yuna, and Mao they all had dramatic ups and downs.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Yuna's press interview is up on the web

It was a mentally difficult time, so I'm happy I was able to overcome my difficulties....

I was 1st in LP, and this is the 1st time winning silver at the Worlds, so I'm happy...

Oly was my biggest goal, and after I got the OGM I had nothing else I wanted / wished for, and physically and mentally I wasn't sure if I could do it again. Still I told myself to do the competition with a relaxed attitude. But when I actually got here it didn't go so well. (Yuna laughs)

I thought if I'm going to do it [competition], I should do it right. So though it wasn't perfect, I think I did okay.

There was a chance to win every competition this season, but I won't mind too much about silver at the Worlds....

No athlete can compete in the same condition all the time. You never know what's going to happen. So I can accept the result here. Gold isn't everything. I have no regrets....

When we [Mao & I] were in the jr circuit, everyone called us rivals. I didn't think at that time that this rival relationship would last this long. I believe the stress was very big for Mao and me both, but I think we overcame it well. So I think that's a great accomplishment....

The season just ended. I want to think about my future after I get some rest.

-------------------------

You can rest now Yuna! You earned it!

A couple of things

1. This is my translation of an article written in Korean. Can you at least attribute the original article so people can read the original if they want? There are people who may want to do that, provided that they're fluent enough to read it.

2. Preferably -- can you just link to the translation? I sometimes edit if I don't think the translation's not quite right. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
TES:
1. Mao Asada, JPN, 67.02
2. Yu-na Kim, KOR, 66.45
3. Miki Ando, JPN, 63.64
4. Cynthia Phaneuf, CAN, 61.48
5. Akiko Suzuki, JPN, 58.96
6. Ksenia Markrova, RUS, 55.14
7. Viktoria Helgesson, SWE, 54.91
8. Carolina Kostner , ITA. 54.87
9. Laura Lepisto, FIN, 54.24
10. Sarah Hecken, GER, 54.14

PCS

1. Yu-na Kim, KOR, 65.04
2. Mao Asada, JPN, 62.48
3. Carolina Kostner, ITA, 60.24
4. Laura Lepisto, FIN, 60.08
5. Miki Ando, JPN, 58.40
6. Mirai Nagasu, USA, 57.04
7. Cynthia Phaneuf , CAN, 56.56
8. Ksenia Markrova, RUS, 53.44
9. Rachael Flatt, USA, 53.36
10. Akiko Suzuki, JPN, 52.72

+GOE
1. Yuna Kim , KOR, 9.40
2. Cynthia Phaneuf, CAN 8.50
3. Miki Ando, JPN 8.24
4. Laura Lepisto, FIN 8.20
5. Mao Asada, JPN 7.72
6. Akiko Suzuki JPN 4.08
7. Mirai Nagasu, USA, 3.98
8. Yan Liu, CHN, 3.70
9. Cheltzie Lee, AUS, 3.62
10. Sarah Hecken, GER, 3.10

The GOE is telling here. Yu-na did not do the best program, but the judges clearly rewarded her for good execution on her 3-3 and her earlier jumps. (her PCS is probably over marked). Laura also got great GOE despite doubling those jumps (and PCS helped!) And some cool people on the GOE list!

Reposting this for anyone who is interested.

lavender

Record Breaker
It's very reminiscent of how the masses would react to a Michelle Kwan loss circa 1997-1999. As Dick Button was famously quoted, "anyone else can fall and you don't think twice about it, but when Michelle Kwan falls, it's headline news."

I guess but I don't get it since Yu na usually makes a couple of mistakes in her long. She's never been as consistent and Michelle. I've been wondering has Tara and especially Johnny watch the ladies comps the past 4 plus years because if they have like I think then they would know that Yu na isn't usually mistake free. There's a reason there's 3 different world champions before the Olympics. The short problems were shocking because she's very consistent in the short...but the long...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
then, please happy tresure hunting, I am too lazy to find you the exact rule quote after having to deal with a troll already. Or you can trust what I told you, I wouldn't make this kind of thing up.

I know that you're pretty keen on the rules. I'm just a nerd and like reading technical documentation :) BTW thanks for your insights--I know we don't always agree, but the discussion has been fun!

Bennett

Record Breaker
But why should the judges give her partial credit for her botched spin in the SP?
Kind of off topic, but I wonder if she did not lose time doing the second spin there. I mean I assume she did because her first botched spin took up some time. Her spiral also took some more time due to the mistake. Then I wonder how she kept up with the music. Her SP choreos are timed right on the music and it's difficult when you are off the music. I thought that she did not check her 2A landing long enough but it might have been because she was feeling rushed for the delay. But she managed to finish on time, which was good.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Huh?

Why are you attacking me? Is it b/c you're offended that I don't think Mirai is the best thing since the sliced bread?

Yes, that is it :)

Sorry, i did not mean to be 'attacking" as much as "disagreeing" - OK?

And I do disagree with your premise that Yua did not have as much to prove. Great skaters do compile great competitive records. Yuna has an exceptionally fine record. Winning this championship would have moved her closer to the top of the all-time greats. And losing perhaps shows something else......

Sorry if you feel like I am "attacking" Yuna. I happen to prefer Yuna to Mao - but Mao clearly defeated Yuna at this Worlds. If they continue competing Mao just made giant steps to bringing their competitive records closer. This rivalry was perhaps reignited by Mao's win at this WC.

Should Yuna retire - and Mao continue - and if she wins a few more WC's and then Sochi - it is not hard to think who might be remebered as the top skater of her era.

Just saying, - and major events like WC's do count.

Last edited:

sleepymom

Rinkside
I apology for that and I take it back then. I just felt so angry that many people bashing Yuna and said she didn't deserve the mark she got. But I kinda calm down now. However, I still do believe that Yuna can still win this world title if the judge give her partial credit for her spin.

I sympathize with you on your feeling but usually I feel that going down to the same level doesn't really help. For her spin in SP, I don't think such credit is possible by the strict ruling. if the tech were lenient like Oly maybe, but this tech seems to be super harsh. But then without super exact tech we may have seen different podium at least different Bronze who knows. Realistically she was still in control of her destiny in this competition even after SP, that just shows how much she is dominating the field right now. Still it wouldn't have been easy, and I applaud Yuna to come back from 7th finish in SP to 1st in LP and overall silver medal.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Mao totally deserved her win. I'm not seeing the but what ifs there as Janetfan said Mao gets full credit. I do think she wanted it the most (and thats okay to say) but I think Yu-na is just tired too and that's fine as well. Nobody's going to be perfect every time....

I am going to say this though in regards to the bronze, I really disagree with Laura's bronze. Laura landed only 3 triples and five of her jumping passes were filled with only doubles... That just bothers me. I'd rather see someone medal who is attempting actual jump difficulty and makes some mistakes. Then someone medal with doubles. I don't know for sure but I would prefer to see bronze go to Kostner, Cynthia or Ando. I felt Kostner, Mao and Cynthia all deserved higher PCS. I get this isn't figure jumping. But this isn't ice dancing either. Jumps matter.

aurora100

Final Flight
Orser once said in interview that being with Yuna in Korea is like traveling with Princess Diana. Since then there has been some sour grapes calling her "Diana" for no reason.
No fans ever call her "Diana." In fact, there was only one person who started calling her "Diana" in Golden Skate (UM84/Artistry/Watchvancouver... they are same person).
I am assuming that this might be the same person as well.

I feel bad for Orser that Yuna haters are calling her Diana Kim. He only said that to mean how much reaction Kim gets from her Korean fans when he travels with her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I guess but I don't get it since Yu na usually makes a couple of mistakes in her long. She's never been as consistent and Michelle. I've been wondering has Tara and especially Johnny watch the ladies comps the past 4 plus years because if they have like I think then they would know that Yu na isn't usually mistake free. There's a reason there's 3 different world champions before the Olympics. The short problems were shocking because she's very consistent in the short...but the long...

Actually, she won the LP with in 2008. She got bronze because she was so far behind in the short (just like here!) But I would agree that Yu-na isn't as consistent as Michelle. However, I think people were mostly shocked because of two clean programs in Vancouver.